INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library with external HD not always plugged in... how to?  (Read 642 times)

Negasonic

• World Citizen

How do I keep MC from removing files from the library when my external hd is unplugged? Even after using auto-Import?

My auto-import is configured to 'Update for external changes' (for the folders on my internal drives)

I thought that if I use 'Import a single folder' (on the external hd) instead of adding the external hd to the auto-import configuration, the media would be imported and then ignored during auto-import (since it is not part of the auto-import configuration)? That I would still be able to see the files (but with red minus warning icons telling me the actual files are not there)

But after unplugging the external hd and running auto-import, MC still removed all traces of the stuff that was on the external hd.

Does this mean I have to manually import the files from the external hd every time I plug it in?
Would it be better to use a second Library for this external hd?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Library with external HD not always plugged in... how to?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 07:08:54 am »

There is an option for that.  The options page has a search at the bottom.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 07:25:02 am »

Turn off "fix broken links"

go into Windows settings and assign a "permanent" drive letter to the HDD

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 07:27:45 am »

In the autoimport settings window under tasks have you selected fix broken links: Yes (Protect files on missing drives)?

Negasonic

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 09:18:58 am »

Thanks, guys! For some reason I managed to ignore the 'Fix broken links' setting while hunting for something useful. It was set to simply 'Yes'. If I set it to 'No' would it cause havoc with its neighbour-setting 'Update for external changes ' in any way?

swiv3d

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 04:19:18 pm »

I would use Fix broken links: Yes (Protect files on missing drives). I would also do as ferday suggests: go into Windows settings and assign a "permanent" drive letter to the HDD. That way your HDD will always have the drive letter your library expects to find. Although in windows 10 I always seem to get the same drive letter anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up