INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ROHQ 4K video HDR video issue  (Read 1597 times)

mike0zero

• Recent member
ROHQ 4K video HDR video issue
« on: June 25, 2018, 02:05:32 am »

I have now added a Nvidia 1070ti graphics card to my HTPC set up and 4K now plays back well without any stuttering, however when I play anything in 4K HDR and after I exit the film the refresh rate still stays in HDR until I completely exit JRiver after which it reverts back to the previous desktop setting, the screen is all washed out and when I enable settings I see that the HDR tab is enabled.

I perform all my refresh rate switching within Madvr and wonder if I should disable this and perform all this within JRiver? the reason I did not choose this route was so I could keep 23.976 1080p and 2160p video in their native resolutions and JRiver only provides one setting per resolution option.

Anybody else had similar issues?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: ROHQ 4K video HDR video issue
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 02:40:22 am »

A 1070TI is quite capable of upscaling 1080p to 2160p, so just use MC Display Settings to switch refresh rates. That is what JRiver recommends and supports. Use Custom Display settings rather than just turning it on. That seems to work better. See how that goes.

Windows does have a HDR setting for the Desktop. Have you got that turned on?

Also, if you play a non-HDR video, does MC correctly switch back to non-HDR? i.e. Is it just on the MC interfaces (Standard and Theatre View) that MC stays in HDR when it isn't wanted?

BTW, if you aren't playing video and hence can't see the madVR statistics page, how do you know MC is in HDR?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 03:18:06 am »

HDR setting getting stuck in "on" mode was a bug in some drivers, I would recommend to update that to the latest.
Also as Roderick says, we generally recommend against switching resolution to avoid scaling, your video needs to be upscaled at some point anyway, and with a powerful card like a 1070Ti you can probably get a better result out of it then your TV could do by itself. The only "native" thing that matters is the native resolution of the TV.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mike0zero

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 03:59:24 am »

Reply to Roderick

thanks for coming back so quick, the HDR setting in window is off however when I exit a film back to my desktop, this setting has been enabled I presume by MADVR, thats how I know it is on.

When I play non HDR there is no problem the switching works perfectly.

I will try turning off auto switching within MADVR and use the JRiver setting to see how I get on, I will report back.

mike0zero

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 03:13:19 pm »

I changed refresh rate to let JRiver control this through the video settings but still the issue of getting stuck in HDR persists when I come out of viewing a 4K HDR film.

In have updated to latest Nvidia drivers but no change.

Anybody any ideas?

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 03:49:32 pm »

what version of windows do you have?  I have the latest spring 2018 update for Win10.

Prior to that, this used to *sometimes* be a problem, but recent combination of this windows update and latest nVidia drivers (1080TI here) have resolved both HDR getting stuck, the 3D toggle on/off issue between windows and nVidia CPLs, and this allows me to use windowed mode instead of FSE with MadVR.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 04:08:47 pm »

On my Windows 7 HDR doesn't get released when using MC (Nvidia GTX970 / driver 397.93). Strangely everything works with MPC-HC which is using LAV filters and Mad renderer.

Manfred

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 06:55:23 am »

I have madVR configured with "HDR passthrough" to my LG TV which handles HDR (Ultra Deep Colour enabled). No problem so far. If you let your NVIDIA card do HDR it's a different topic.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

rec head

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 07:24:15 am »

I changed refresh rate to let JRiver control this through the video settings but still the issue of getting stuck in HDR persists when I come out of viewing a 4K HDR film.

In have updated to latest Nvidia drivers but no change.

Anybody any ideas?

Are you backing out of videos or hitting STOP? I have to hit stop or I have the same behavior.

mike0zero

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 03:21:12 pm »

what version of windows do you have?  I have the latest spring 2018 update for Win10.

Prior to that, this used to *sometimes* be a problem, but recent combination of this windows update and latest nVidia drivers (1080TI here) have resolved both HDR getting stuck, the 3D toggle on/off issue between windows and nVidia CPLs, and this allows me to use windowed mode instead of FSE with MadVR.

I use Windows 10 with latest spring update and latest drivers from 1070TI, I wonder if FSE is causing the problem although n to too sure what I should have this set as.

I am away for couple of days so will check out when I get home.

Thanks for the feedback TheShoe

mike0zero

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 03:22:51 pm »

I have madVR configured with "HDR passthrough" to my LG TV which handles HDR (Ultra Deep Colour enabled). No problem so far. If you let your NVIDIA card do HDR it's a different topic.

Thanks for feedback...another one for me to try out, not sure how I have this set but maybe I can let my SONY PJ handle the HDR, will try when I get home.

mike0zero

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 03:23:30 pm »

Are you backing out of videos or hitting STOP? I have to hit stop or I have the same behavior.

I am using the STOP button but still have issue.

Gedeon

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 05:20:01 am »

I have no issues even with my GT 960.

The tricks to get it work:

- Update to latest Nvidia drivers
- Don't touch Nvidia control panel about output colors or level modes. Leave them by default, and let the TV accept low/limited range (16-235). Only test those if you want to experiment or to solve issues.
- Update madvr and lav (optional).
- Leave HDR disabled in Windows 10.
- Check that lav video HW decoding is set to DXVA2 or D3D11, and most, if not all, codecs HW Accel enabled.
- In madvr, in the display HDR page set it to let madvr decide.
- (optional) I personally unchecked exclusive mode (it isn't needed and it adds some annoying display switch) and I reduced the queue sizes to mínimum in processing and to only 2 in "windowed mode", since my 960 is only 2Gb DDR5.
- (optional) I let JRiver change refresh rate to fit the content but I leave always 4K resolution. My 960 is still able to perform nice luma upscaling with lanczlos or jinc (If I remember well). You can upscale chroma with less demanding algorithms.

In my experience is working great for SDR and HDR content switching always to the correct signal/mode to the display. When I push stop while playing HDR it comes back to SDR.

Pages: [1]   Go Up