INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new buffering issue  (Read 2189 times)

ataddeo

• Recent member
new buffering issue
« on: July 01, 2018, 02:33:40 am »

I am using the term buffering since music playing stops maybe 3 seconds and returns where it left off.  This is a new issue since MC has never had this problem with my machines.

Here's the details;

MacBook Pro 15in 2016-2.7ghz-i7
16gb 2133mhz LPDDR3
Device Name:   APPLE SSD SM0512L
  Media Name:   AppleAPFSMedia
  Medium Type:   SSD
  Protocol:   PCI-Express
  Internal:   Yes
  Partition Map Type:   Unknown

Music lives on 2 HD external USB 3 OWC Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 USB 3.0 4-Bay SATA
  File System:   Journaled HFS+
No LAN network used for source music

Media Center 24.0.25 64bit
High Sierra 10.13.5
Graphics:  Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

I have tried all the settings in MC memory playback, didn't help.
tried various settings in pre buffering  currently set at 6 seconds.

If I'm forgetting to tell you something, hopefully you'll ask.

Thank You all for help!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: new buffering issue
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 06:27:25 am »

What kind of files are you playing? 

Are the drives plugged directly into USB 3 ports?

ataddeo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 03:57:49 pm »

I’m playing back mostly wav files or air of various sample rates-44.1 to 192k.  The drives live in a OWC 4 bay mercury USB 3 out into a OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock that plugs into one of 4 thunderbolt 3 ports on the MacBook Pro.  Those drives are formatted with hfs+

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 06:41:50 pm »

Can you reproduce the problem with local files?

ataddeo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 01:02:42 am »

yes, my 2 HDD are plugged into my MacBook Pro USB 3.  I did try unplugging my LAN / network connection thinking the puter could be checking for email or iCloud things.  it didn't matter. 

Since this issue popped up in the last 2 weeks on my iMac then it started on my MacBook Pro.  MC24 is installed on both machines but I don't run them both at the same time and DLNAl is turned on only in the MacBook Pro so I can remote from my iPhone.  I did shut it down but the problem continues.

It seems to be worse when I first start play music, and time marches on it doesn't go quiet as often, when it does the music stops for about 3-4 seconds then starts right back where it stopped.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 01:23:43 am »

If it's appeared spontaneously, you may have a general network problem.  Power everything off and back on.  Modem, access points, computers, etc.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 01:26:57 pm »

What is your playback device?  Is it a network device like a DLNA renderer?  Or is it a local USB DAC?  Or ... ?

Brian.

ataddeo

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 10:12:55 pm »

My MacBook Pro 2016, high Sierra, one Thunderbolt connects to OWC Thunderbolt dock that connects to a OWC HD enclosure via USB 3 for my audio files.  Music drives are formatted smb HFS+.  Also out of the OWC dock is USB 2 to my Apogee Duet2 DAC.  DLNA is on only for remote control of media center 24 from my iPhone.

I have noticed sometimes these hickups appear to be connected to video activity.  If I open another window the music stops for a few seconds.  I’m not saying starting another program, more like returning to a window that was open earlier.  I have closed all programs other than media center when listening.  I also have unplugged the eithernet connection to my router.  Didn’t have any effect on the audio interruptions.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 06:03:02 am »

A long time ago I had audio "hiccups" that were very occasional.   Once an hour, once every 2 hours, etc.  But mine only lasted for 1/4 to 1/2 second.  I tried a lot of different things including a full reinstallation of the OS.  But you have dropouts of more than 1 second.  You said roughly 3 seconds.  This sounds like a different problem than I had.

It's worth checking your audio Device settings:

Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device :

Check the name of the device listed.  It should be Apogee Duet2...   If it's "default audio device", don't use that.  Use the named device corresponding to your DAC.

Next check Device settings:

For now I would uncheck Integer Mode and uncheck exclusive access.  For buffering, Hardware should be at the Hardware default.  Software should start at 100 mS, but you can put it as high as 500, or 750 mS as an experiment.

After you change any of these settings, close the options windows, then restart MC.

Try playing with that for a bit and see if it helps.  If it does not, I would suspect something more fundamental. 

For example, thunderbolt connectors are notoriously "loose".  It's sometimes a challenge to get them to fit into the port snuggly and stay there.  I would be inclined to power everything down, unplug it piece by piece, and verify that I have a good connection with a good cable. 

Play with the settings first.  Then maybe do the hardware check, re-connect that I described above.

Good luck.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up