INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deleting ISO SACD files  (Read 1245 times)

tourix

• Recent member
Deleting ISO SACD files
« on: July 03, 2018, 01:24:41 pm »

The following change was listed in the release notes in 24.0.21:
2. Changed: When deleting individual tracks in an SACD iso file, all other tracks are deleted as well, instead of leaving them in the library with missing file error.
This is actually a serious regression. The previous behavior of being able to delete individual tracks was correct and desirable. It is important to be able to delete surround tracks (6 channels) in an iso sacd but leave the stereo tracks untouched. It was working fine in previous releases of Media Center 64-bit. Please, revert this change. Thank you!

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Deleting ISO SACD files
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 02:01:27 pm »

The following change was listed in the release notes in 24.0.21:This is actually a serious regression. The previous behavior of being able to delete individual tracks was correct and desirable. It is important to be able to delete surround tracks (6 channels) in an iso sacd but leave the stereo tracks untouched. It was working fine in previous releases of Media Center 64-bit. Please, revert this change. Thank you!

I guess I focused too narrowly and thought about "deleting the media file from the disk" and forgot about "deleting from library".

Does it make sense if I change it this way:

When deleting from library, individual tracks can be deleted independently.  When deleting media file from hard drive, the whole iso file must be deleted, thus all tracks must be deleted.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

tourix

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 04:24:58 pm »

Sure, this could work, but the user who is deleting a track and its media file may not be aware of the fact that there is a single media file for all the tracks in the iso. Media Center should not be deleting other tracks and the media file in this case, or the user will be very confused of why everything got deleted, and not just one track.
It would be better to ignore "delete media" for an iso, unless you are deleting the last track in the library. As long as there is still at least one track for the iso in the library, the media file should never be deleted. Basically, you implement garbage collection for the iso file. If it cannot be referenced anymore, it gets deleted. But you cannot explicitly delete it.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 05:42:15 pm »

It is important to be able to delete surround tracks (6 channels) in an iso sacd but leave the stereo tracks untouched.
It is even more important to be able to delete the stereo tracks in an iso sacd but leave the surround tracks (6 channels) untouched.  ;)

Seriously, I never delete any actual files "from the disc" within MC.  I do that, when necessary, using the OS.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

magvin

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 08:11:46 am »

The following change was listed in the release notes in 24.0.21:This is actually a serious regression. The previous behavior of being able to delete individual tracks was correct and desirable. It is important to be able to delete surround tracks (6 channels) in an iso sacd but leave the stereo tracks untouched. It was working fine in previous releases of Media Center 64-bit. Please, revert this change. Thank you!

This make me still stick on v24.0.20. The most important part is to delete surround tracks (6 channels) in an iso sacd but leave the stereo tracks untouched.

Strongly support to revert the change.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 11:11:10 am »

OK, I will do this:

When deleting, "Permanently delete from disk" and "Recycle" options will not be offered unless there are no other tracks in the library.  When deleting from the library, only the selected tracks will be deleted.

magvin

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 11:45:08 am »

OK, I will do this:

When deleting, "Permanently delete from disk" and "Recycle" options will not be offered unless there are no other tracks in the library.  When deleting from the library, only the selected tracks will be deleted.

Thanks so much! That's exactly what I want. :)

tourix

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 12:43:52 pm »

Perfect! Thank you, Yaobing!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 01:49:59 pm »

I actually backtracked a little from my plan.  Here are the changes that will appear in the next build when it comes out:

Changed: When SACD ISO audio tracks are included in the files to be deleted, "Delete from disk" and "Recycle" options are not offered.

Changed: When SACD ISO audio tracks are to be removed from the library, only selected tracks will be removed, unselected tracks will remain in the library.  This is a reversal from a change made in build 21.

Due to efficiency issue, I decided simply to disallow "delete from disk" for file type sacd, even if it is the last track in the library.  It is not impossible, but a bit complicated and inefficient, to determine whether the track being deleted is the last track in the library.  So for now, we will just disable delete mode.

tourix

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 03:11:00 pm »

That works too. As long as only selected tracks get removed from the library, this is good enough. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up