INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Configuring Different "Players" with different Color Space levels  (Read 632 times)

thezone

• Galactic Citizen

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

I am watching BD 1080p and 4KBD 2160p HDR material using MC 24 on my HTPC (NVIDA GPU) sent to my LG 4KOLED via HDMI.

I've established the following:

- 4K HDR material looks better with a desktop setting of RGB "Full" 0-255 with TV set to Black level "High" and with madvr obviously doing no upscaling or video processing.

- BD material looks better with a desktop setting of RGB "Limited" 16-235 with TV set to Black level "Low" and madvr doing complex video upscaling based on some research and experimentation.

So at present I have one "player" in MC and an NVIDIA desktop setting of RGB Full 0-255 and madvr also set to 0-255 with various scaling rules set up based on the type of source material being played so 4K HDR looks good, but BD blacks look crushed. 

If I create a separate "player" in MC lets say I call it "BD Player" can this be set to invoke a desktop color space of RGB Limited 16-235? Would this be using madvr? Or is there only one madvr that is used by any "player" I create in MC?

This is where I'm a bit confused. Is madvr configurable differently in separate players? Does madvr override the NVIDIA desktop settings?

Hope all this makes sense.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Configuring Different "Players" with different Color Space levels
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 06:12:44 am »

neither madvr nor MC controls the gpu settings

I would think the desire to do this suggests your configuration is broken in some other way, you should be able to configure this to work correctly without using different gpu levels.

RD James

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 08:22:56 am »

If the video levels are matched; i.e. 16-235 output from the HTPC and 16-235 input on the display, or 0-255 on both, the image should be virtually identical.
The only difference would be a minor amount of banding, and it's unlikely that most people would even notice that with a 10-bit output.

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 03:10:40 am »

If the video levels are matched; i.e. 16-235 output from the HTPC and 16-235 input on the display, or 0-255 on both, the image should be virtually identical.
The only difference would be a minor amount of banding, and it's unlikely that most people would even notice that with a 10-bit output.

Ok thanks, so why then is there an option in the madvr properties "the display expects the following RGB output levels:" with the ability to select color space?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 03:14:56 am »

Ok thanks, so why then is there an option in the madvr properties "the display expects the following RGB output levels:" with the ability to select color space?

Of course you need to set it up properly once, thats what the options exist for. Different displays expect different things. But there should be no reason to switch this depending on content, or there is something else very wrong.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up