INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD Boxed Set Tracks Stuck Together When Ripping  (Read 422 times)

eweedhome

• Recent member
CD Boxed Set Tracks Stuck Together When Ripping
« on: July 09, 2018, 05:48:55 pm »

I'm pretty new to this, though have ripping 100 or so CDs into the Library without a problem (that I can tell).

BUT - How about this:  I have a pretty new classical boxed set of Charles Munch conducting a bunch of music on 86 CDs, published by RCA/Sony.  I ripped 8 CDs out of the box.

The sorting system in the library bunched 7 of the CDs together, and put all of their tracks in order by number.  So the 1st track of each CD is listed first, one after the other, then all of the Track 2s are listed, then all of the Track 3s, etc., to the end.  As if it is all one giant album, out of which you listen to all of the 1st tracks, then all of the 2nd tracks, etc.  (Which would come out REALLY weird.)

I sort of "fixed" the problem by creating some playlists into which I could reassemble each of the individual albums.  And I guess that's okay.  But I have a suspicion that there is some simpler way to fix this problem.  I am a real novice here, and if the solution involves tags, I'd love it if somebody would explain to me what a "tag" is.  I've looked around the Forum and the Wiki, and "tags" ain't simple to figure out if you're new to this (at least not for me).

I should add that I've ripped individual CDs from various other boxed sets and never had this happen.  And even with this boxed set, 1 of the discs listed itself separately.  Why?  Beats me.

Many thanks,

Earl

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: CD Boxed Set Tracks Stuck Together When Ripping
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 06:03:42 pm »

Earl Earl Earl it's all about the tags.....have a look here, find info on tagging...

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

swiv3d

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 06:09:28 pm »

There is a tag called disc# if you are ripping a box set you need to make sure that the correct disc number is inserted into this tag, otherwise if the album name is the same for a number of the discs MC will see all of these files as members of the one album. It is usually a good idea to either add the CD number to the album name for each disc after each is ripped or add the disc number to the disc# tag. The files will then sort normally. Ideally in a perfect world the publishers would do this but it is an imperfect world we live in! I suspect the disc that sorts correctly has a slightly different album name to all of the others.

If you right mouse click on one of the files you will see an option called Tag - select it and all of the tags for that file will be displayed.

Hope this helps.

eweedhome

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 09:52:55 pm »

(First reply lost...trying again.)

TAGGING WORKED!!  For some reason, it was particularly helpful to learn where to go to right-click and make the tag box appear...as dim-witted as that may seem on my part.

Okay, off to getting myself into more trouble.  Many thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up