INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Difference between “player” and my AV Receiver, one plays one doesn’t.  (Read 1089 times)

NL79403

Hello. Newer user here, loving the MC24. I have a Mac mini connected to a Classé receiver. I’m on mC24, player shows up, so does the Classé. Library loads up under both profiles, player actually plays, Classé doesn’t play at all.

I’m confused because when the player is playing it is still feeding the Classé via USB. What is the difference?  Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe there is some confusion between a direct connection and one using DLNA.  Your USB connection is Direct. 

When you say "shows up", is the Classe receiver listed under Playing Now?  If so, that's a DLNA Connection.  It works over Ethernet, not via USB.

Are you using more than the single Mac?  In other words, are you trying to control MC from another device?   If so, then how?

If you prefer a direct connection, please visit the Audio Setup topic on our wiki.  The wiki also has a topic on DLNA.

NL79403

Jim,

I'd like to say thx for your reply, I appreciate your involvement, says a lot.

Maybe there is some confusion between a direct connection and one using DLNA.  Your USB connection is Direct. 
Maybe

When you say "shows up", is the Classe receiver listed under Playing Now?  If so, that's a DLNA Connection.  It works over Ethernet, not via USB.
Yes it does, this confuses me. MC24 is a music player, mounted to a computer. How can a receiver be a music player? MC is the source, and the sound gets output from the MAC based on what I tell it, ie, HDMI or USD or (DLNA?? network). If I select the Classe user Playing Now, it won't work. However, if I select Player, it does work.   [/font][/color]

Are you using more than the single Mac?  In other words, are you trying to control MC from another device?   If so, then how?
The Remote App of JRiver, on my iPhone.[/color]

If you prefer a direct connection, please visit the Audio Setup topic on our wiki.  The wiki also has a topic on DLNA.
I did do this, still not clear.

What is the recommended method to setup? MC24 running on MacMini, also controlled by remote (and when 'Player' is selected under Playing Now, it all works well, awakes from sleep).

I have done some playing around, and I think something may be wrong with the MC programming.

If I connect my usb, set the receiver to take usb audio for the given source (mac mini), I set JRiver to default core audio, it forces the Audio MIDI settings to use "HDMI". And in parallel, when I use iTunes and set Audio MIDI to play from USB, it works and does not change the MIDI output, both work when you restart each app. I disconnect the usb, nothing works.

I then took the usb out, set the receiver to take HDMI audio, and left Player as default core audio. Audio MIDI now reads "Built-in Output", and when iTunes plays, Audio MIDI reads HMDI. Hence why I think something is wrong.[/color]

Apple clearly thinks that it is playing its "Built-In Output or Internal Speakers". You can actually adjust the volume from the tool bar, although actually nothing happens because in fact the sound is coming from HDMI.[/color]

My third test was selecting HDMI in Player Options, restarted MC24 and the same thing, Apple MIDI reads "Built-in Internal".[/color]

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Please don't use color for replies.

Here's how to quote.

[ quote ]Question [ /quote ]

but without the spaces inside the quote tags.  Removing those, you get this:

Question

NL79403

Ok, sorry.

Do I need to resubmit my comments? Or have you had a chance to read them?

Thx,

Nick

NL79403

Hello,

I am curious if I can get a reply to my issue?

Thank you.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy

It looks as though you are playing a few different ways but the MC networking is not set up.

If you set the output to "player", this refers to the actual MC24 program player as opposed to any AV players on your network, so it will output to whatever local interface is available to the host machine. By extension this outputs down the HDMI channel to a connected device.

If you want to play to a networked AV receiver, which I think is your aim here and not to connect to it directly via HDMI, you need to set up its DLNA profile.

The Classé receiver shows up in MC24 because it is advertising itself as an available DLNA renderer, in other words it is available to MC on the network to render any supported files delivered to it.

But it must be configured first. Have a look at the DLNA configuration options in the Wiki, https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA , and for a start go to Tools -> Options -> Media Network on MC24 to see the various config options it talks about.

blgentry

Playing via USB or HDMI is going to be the easiest and most reliable.  I suggest USB.

To do this, you need to find the name of the USB audio device that the Mac sees for your Classe receiver.  Do NOT USE "Default (core audio)".  That device can change.  Instead, use the named device that corresponds to your USB connected Classe receiver.  If you have HDMI plugged in from Mac to Classe, disconnect it for now.

In MC:  Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > (choose the Classe USB device here)

Save it, restart MC, and then play using "Player".  That should work for you and be very reliable and consistent.  Hint:  You can rename "Player" to anything you want.  Right click on it and select "Rename".  I suggest something that makes it very clear to you what is what.  "Classe USB Connection" for example.  That will distinguish it from the network device that is giving you trouble.

Good luck!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up