INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Special Web access to music for guests  (Read 656 times)

Facel

• World Citizen
Special Web access to music for guests
« on: July 13, 2018, 10:00:26 am »

I would like to provide to my home guests an access to my music stored on a NUC with MC24.

The purpose is only to allow them to select and play the music of their choice on a dedicated DLNA/ Airplay renderer connected to an
HIFI system in their bedroom.

I would like a safe system that allows the user only to play to his dedicated zone  and also prevent from any mistake on the server or on the audio files.

Panel would be great to achieve that through their Phone, Ipad or PC.

How can I implement such a fonctionnality ?
Thanks for your help and advices

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Special Web access to music for guests
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 01:59:27 pm »

You can create a read-only user under Tools > Options > Media Network > Read-only Authentication.  That won't allow you to lock them to a set zone though.  So the user would have to pick that they want to play to "Room 1" and if they wanted to, could change to "Room 2" and hit stop, change volume, etc.  I'm not sure that you can do that without setting up a MC server per zone and only giving them authentication to that server...  But the read-only user will prevent them from editing server side stuff.

Facel

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 03:09:06 am »

Thanks for this confirmation.

Maybe would it be a good "new" feature to add to MC Panel.

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 03:55:31 pm »

Would running multiple instances of MC on the main computer be a solution - each instance with s single room zone, read only, with it's own log on credentials. Don't know if this would work but might be worth investigating. Also, if you had a dlna compliant tv in the room they could just play music from the server without being able to do any damage to your system without the need for multiple instances.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 03:11:13 pm »

Would running multiple instances of MC on the main computer be a solution - each instance with s single room zone, read only, with it's own log on credentials. Don't know if this would work but might be worth investigating. Also, if you had a dlna compliant tv in the room they could just play music from the server without being able to do any damage to your system without the need for multiple instances.

I don't think you can run multiple instances of MC Server within the same OS environment:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,105560.msg734515.html#msg734515

Setting up VMs could do the trick I guess.  But that seems like a good deal of work.  I used to have a larger server with multiple VMs, but shut it down because of power consumption and instead went with a few Rasperry Pis.  I guess that would work.  You could get a few JRiver Ids.
Pages: [1]   Go Up