INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about JRiver and SoundBar, thanks  (Read 1521 times)

Adhara

• World Citizen
Question about JRiver and SoundBar, thanks
« on: July 13, 2018, 11:18:20 am »

Hi,

I've a soundbar (+sub + 2 surrounds) which accept PCM (stereo) or DTS/Dolby (multichannel) with max resolution 16 bits / 96 KHz in input.
So I use spdif/optical cable to connect my HTPC and the soundbar.
In term of settings:

Audio Device : "Realtek Digital outptut (WASAPI)" [exclusive mode / 16 bit integer / 50 ms buffer]
DSP:
   - Sample rate: all --> 96 KHz
   - Channel : Source number of channels
   - Volume leveling / adaptative volume : OFF (Can I use them with 16/96 max output ? If yes, usefull ?)
Bitstream:  YES / SPDIF
SoX: Yes
Volume Mode: Internal Volume

I'd like to know what are the best settings for my own use.
No question about video as it's perfect like that (madvr + Geforce 1070 connected to 4k TV HDMI in with hdmi cable).

Note: My soundbar is seen like 2 ch speakers (can't output in 5.1, I suppose it's a normal behavior (?)). Even with hdmi cable it s still shows as stereo speaker. My opinion is that the soundbar wich do 5.1 distribution to speakers.

Thanks for your help.

Adhara

• World Citizen
Re: Question about JRiver and SoundBar, thanks
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 04:46:02 am »

Hi mates,

Can someone explain me why I get only 2 channels (input / output) when using HDMI or SPDIF cable, with AC3 or DTS soundtrack ?
What I did wrong in term of settings ?

Note: My sound bar is only 16bits/96 KHz capable and accept only PCM (stereo) or bitstream AC3 / DTS.

I tryed both HDMI and SPDIF connection between my PC and the soundbar. No way to output 5.1 bitsream audio flow (AC3 / DTS...Avatar movie for example). JRiver always display 2 channels input / output audio stream during playback.

regards.

Adhara

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 03:04:40 pm »

Hello everyone,

Well I always have issues in using my soundbar and JRiver ...
My soundbar is compatible with DTS / Dolby (AC3) in 5.1 and PCM in stereo.

In stereo, everything works well.
For 5.1 sound tracks this is problematic (I output in HDMI bitstream).

In short, I can not get out of 5.1 from my PC ... I think I know why but I did not find a workaround to fix it.

HDMI connection: PC -> Soundbar -> TV (Sony ZD9 4K)

The HDMI output of my graphics card (Nvidia) is tagged with the EDID of my TV (Sony ZD9). So since the TV includes only 2 speakers. The NVidia audio panel only offers stereo.

From CRU tool (I read EDID of my Sony TV):

Nvidia sound options:

Here below an example when watching the movie "Avatar" (5.1 DTS sound track)

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 03:46:59 pm »

If you click on playback options as visible in your last screenshot is your soundbar listed there instead of the tv?

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 11:07:23 pm »

Look at Tools->Options->Audio->Bitstreaming. What is it set to? MC default is None, which means MC is doing the decoding and not passing on the DTS track.

-tm

Adhara

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 01:35:51 am »

Look at Tools->Options->Audio->Bitstreaming. What is it set to? MC default is None, which means MC is doing the decoding and not passing on the DTS track.

-tm

Hi millst.

I set it up to bitstream (HDMI) as my soundbar only accepts DTS/Dolby (bitsream flaw, no LPCM) for multichannel audio tracks.

Adhara

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 01:38:58 am »

If you click on playback options as visible in your last screenshot is your soundbar listed there instead of the tv?

I suppose my Soundbar (Polk MAGNIFI MAX SR) is HDMI passthrough, so the EDID displayed is the one of the display.

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 09:38:11 am »

I don't really see anything wrong on the computer end. The number of channels shouldn't really matter since the audio device indicates support for AC3/DTS.

It's normal for MC to show 2ch in the audio path when bitstreaming. It's kind of misleading, but is an artifact of the data format. MC isn't making any changes to the input format, as indicated by the "(bitstreaming)" next to output. That indicates the stream is going bit-perfect to the soundbar.

Is there something on the soundbar that is showing you aren't getting 5.1 output? Or something you can or cannot hear?

-tm

Adhara

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 10:53:39 am »

I get 5.1 sound when watching movies. But Polk has it's own 2.0 --> 5.1 upsampling system called "SDA". I wanted to be sure this is not due to SDA job.
But anyway, led in front of the soundbar indicates Dolby or DTS when playing those format.

Thanks all for your feedback. I appreciate, really.
Pages: [1]   Go Up