INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How important are JRiver's video and TV features?

Extremely
Very important
Not too important
Don't understand why JRiver isn't just audio

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: Importance of Video and TV  (Read 12254 times)

tjobbins

• World Citizen
Re: POLL: Importance of Video and TV
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2018, 08:52:57 am »

I started out using MC for 100% audio, back on version 9 or so.  Now, on version 24, I am 99% Video (all pre-recorded; no live TV.)   

I do listen to my music library on occasion, but it is now quite rare.

I have MC-provided video output in four places:  my Mac workstation, main 4K TV (Windows 10 HTPC), bedroom TV (Android TV box, accessing MC via DLNA through Kodi), kitchen TV (ditto, DLNA through Kodi.) 

Of those four outputs, only one (Mac workstation) ever listens to music.  The DLNA devices don't even have a Music entry, and while the main TV HTPC does have Music on its Theatre View output, it's almost never used.

So personally I am strongly in favour of future development focusing more on video playback than music, if/when such a choice was being made.

My files break down as follows:
* Video - TV shows, documentaries etc:  8145 files, 7.1TB, 240.6 days
* Video - Movies: 317 files, 510GB, 25.7 days
* Audio - music, Classical: 2395 files, 47.9GB, 8.4 days
* Audio - music, Contemporary: 12039 files, 265GB, 33.1 days

With 95+% of usage coming from the first category: Video - TV Shows.

Z0001

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2018, 07:20:11 pm »

We use MC for music and video (files). I have a TV tuner but have not got into it since Netflix.

I do have a concern about HTPC in general though. It seems as if UHD Blu-ray (from a disc or disk) is becoming harder to implement in a PC environment if recent posts elsewhere on copy protection are true. This seems to be a bit terminal. If we are really at a crossroads with streaming, I do wonder what investment I continue to make in video. And at a practical sense I do need to replace a broken PC with something.

I love having all our content in one tidy, visually appealing and logical place, available for my family to access whenever they like, and balk at the idea of ugly TV dlna interfaces.

Do others see video files on the PC slipping past the horizon as we move into a 4k world?

Z

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2018, 12:12:28 am »

Snapshot with 121 votes:
Important:  65%
Not very: 35%

Manfred

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2018, 03:45:07 am »

Compared to my previous message I though a little more about it, because I am person like many others in this forum who have a history in CD/SACD/DVD/BD. I have purchased about 450 movies and 95 TV Series like 24, Homeland etc. on DVD/BD
I also have 84 music concerts BD/DVD's. Everything is ripped to mkv format.

If I had not make that investment in the past and could start from scratch I would stream the movies and the TV series through Amazon prime or Apple TV. Usually I see 60% of the movies and TV series only once.

Even if I could start from scratch, the music concerts I would prefer to have them locally. The Audio & Video quality is much much better than through streaming. Also I would prefer to have some HighRes Music locally.

Conclusion: Because I would like to have my music concerts locally, video would be also very important to me but the total  A/V solution including media server's and media renderers would look much different then my current environment.  It would be something like simaudio's 390 Preamp/Networkplayer (has HDMI Input for Apple TV, Qubuz Streaming)+ Apple TV + A Laptop Solution with MC for the relatively small # of local files with external 2 - 4TB SSD + Active Speakers.

Would it make sense to have MC on Apple TV?
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2018, 11:20:06 am »

tyler69

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2018, 11:21:42 am »

Would it make sense to have MC on Apple TV?

I would like to see MC on Apple TV. However, I do not think this is going to happen anytime soon, if at all.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2018, 11:37:12 am »

I would like to see MC on Apple TV. However, I do not think this is going to happen anytime soon, if at all.

I am happy with MC on my PC ... having full blown MC on AppleTV seems overkill ... but having a simple client that just do Theatre View does not seem far fetch ... manage/tag your media on PC/Mac/Linux ... access media on Apple TV or other client (smart TV or roku)

I know can access MC library through DLNA ... but its ugly as hell lol

While this feature can be nice ... its not necessity for me (yet) ... as can always build silent HTPC, slap MC on it and put next to TV to act as a client :)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2018, 11:58:40 am »

I have been using JRiver as my media hub for many, many years.  I use it for TV, video, and audio.  I have two HDHomeRun boxes, one OTA and the other cablecard, and use MC as my DVR. MC also contains all of the video and audio files stored on my Synology NAS.

TV functionality probably gets the most use. I expect I will cut the cord on the cable subscription soon but will keep the OTA. I have not used MC as an interface into all of the streaming audio and video services like Youtube and Netflix. I'd like to keep MC as my sole interface, but have found that it is easier to just point the browser on my HTPC to their websites.

My network is setup such than I can stream from the JRiver Media Server to anywhere over the internet through either JRemote or the MC client on a laptop. The lack of the ability for JRemote to download local copies is a blocker though as it forces me to always be connected and to pay data charges when on the cell network. Thus after so many years of MC, I am migrating some of my content to DS Audio and DS Video.

I have no interest in Apple TV or Google and Amazon's equivalent. I like that MC is independent and does not lock me into a particular vendor's walled garden. And I don't want Apple, Google, and others to track everything I play.

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2018, 01:36:07 pm »

I'd rather see it on an Nvidia Shield  :)

Benkasey

• Recent member
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2018, 01:54:05 pm »

Extremely important. It's the main reason I use JRiver. I use the TV tuner card feature to watch and record over-the-air TV shows several times a week. I don't even own a regular TV. Just watch TV on my computer attached to a large monitor. It's a SUPER SMART TV! I love how I can watch a TV show in a small corner of a window while doing other work on my computer with the remainder of the screen.

swiv3d

« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2018, 02:15:11 pm »

Let's face it, a Media Center program that didn't handle video and tv wouldn't be a Media Center Program would it?

tjobbins

• World Citizen
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2018, 05:21:41 pm »

I would love this.  I had been thinking of making a thread on it.

Specifically, I would love an Android version that I could install on one of my Android TV boxes, such as the H96 Pro+

These devices make superb media players: small, powerful (capable of 4K, H264/265, etc), lots of connectivity (dual-band WiFi, 1G ethernet, USB 3, etc), and are very affordable.

I already use two of them to access my MC library, but have to do so via Kodi's DLNA client.  It's functional, but metadata doesn't fully transfer, custom sorting isn't possible, and I can't do anything more advanced than Series/Season grouping of my TV shows.

And I'd think it wouldn't be a huge amount of work to port MC to Android, given it already runs on Linux ARM.   Less work than Apple TV, anyway (and a lot less hassle in terms of approval/certification/whatever.)

Personally I'd be quite happy to buy a separate copy of an Android version via the Play store, even though I already have a Master license.  I'd say having an Android version could open up a new market, given that these Android boxes are pretty popular as media players now.   Kodi is OK for some things and very customisable, but lacks all of MC's library management features.  So new users finding MC could find a lot they really like, and worth paying for.

(PS. I did try the J River Android client as an alternative to Kodi, but found it limited - in particular it forces transcoding of all files on the server, there's no option to decode on the client, which the Android TV box is quite capable of.  I also think I remember it was limited to 720p max.)

greynolds

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2018, 07:23:09 pm »

As some others have said, if you were to take video or TV away, I would most likely never pay for another JR upgrade again and move on to other options because they're both extremely important to me.  I probably use a mix of something like 45% TV, 45% video, 9% music, and 1% photos.  That said, I would pretty much feel the same way about music - take that away and I'd seriously look at other options.

The photo functionality is nice too, but I don't tend to give it much use despite the fact that I have a TON of photos from trips over the years.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2018, 10:10:11 pm »

My use right now is literally 100% TV.
Spotify has taken over my music playing.
Netflix and Google Play have taken over my Movie playing.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2018, 01:03:23 am »

As some others have said, if you were to take video or TV away, I would most likely never pay for another JR upgrade again and move on to other options because they're both extremely important to me.  I probably use a mix of something like 45% TV, 45% video, 9% music, and 1% photos.  That said, I would pretty much feel the same way about music - take that away and I'd seriously look at other options.

The photo functionality is nice too, but I don't tend to give it much use despite the fact that I have a TON of photos from trips over the years.
Just to be clear, we're not thinking about taking anything away.  This is just research.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2018, 02:41:15 am »

The video features in JRiver Media Center are important to me when the audio quality of the video I'm watching is important to me. For things like concert videos the audio quality (and the ability to do DSP if necessary) is very important to me.  I also consider the audio quality important for movies. One of the very neat abilities of JRiver for video playback is the ability to use DSP plugins like Waves Nx that allows for playback of surround sound over headphones. So awesome (Waves Nx is awesome)! JRiver can do that. Other video players cannot. The video features in JRiver Media Center is one of the reasons I like it so much over the alternatives.

The vast majority of my use of JRiver is for 2-channel music listening using headphones. Very little video use. But for those times that I do want to use JRiver Media Center for video the video/audio features are very important to me. Especially for concert videos. And for movies when I want to experience the movie in surround sound over headphones (for that I use the Waves Nx plugin).

Z0001

« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2018, 03:44:35 am »

We've been using MC for 9 years as our mainstay HTPC app. We have 30TB of movies ripped to mkv, not including similar backup in iso. This is mostly Blu-ray movies of what I call "Classics" that we will watch again, several times . We have a few UHD Blu-ray discs that I got just to test my computer hardware, but I don't have a 4k TV yet.

These days we increasingly go to Netflix through our HTPC for TV series and kids content. If we want to watch a movie we are streaming a rental typically using the Microsoft Films & TV app.

The HTPC is now broken so I am looking at whether to continue the investment which is probably a $2000 cost for a 4k machine, or move to a streaming rental platform.

We use MC for music as well however, and I have spent a lot of time building our library of all our CDs. Music has a sentimental value and I am not prepared to accept a quality any less than the original disc. We do use Spotify, but mainly for discovering new music.

My strong preference would be for a single platform, (fewer wires in the lounge!). Happy to navigate different apps but as I'm not sure about the future of keeping UHD physical content on a HDD, I'm wondering if it's time to look at alternatives.

For that reason the idea of a MC app on an Apple 4k TV or Nvidia Shield that maintains the high-quality audio and video of the Windows MC app we love would be great. I understand Plex and Kodi are on these platforms, though I have never used them and know nothing about them. The MC library could be managed from any PC or a dedicated library server, not necessarily needing a dedicated lounge room machine, with the HDDs either on the network or inside the server.

Does a MC Apple or Android client app with a 10' interface make sense and would it be straight forward to imement? To me it seems it would transition MC into the platform world and provide a very rich user experience and open up the high quality reproduction to a whole new audience.

We also use MC for TV and photos but less frequently

tjobbins

• World Citizen
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2018, 04:19:33 am »

The HTPC is now broken so I am looking at whether to continue the investment which is probably a $2000 cost for a 4k machine

Surely nothing like so much?  I realise for full 4K UHD playback off a disk the specs are somewhat higher, but from what I've seen you don't need a special GPU, just a special CPU with SGX instructions.  Such as the i5-6400 which is about $200.   Same again for motherboard, $100 for the special 4K UHD drive, and then usual cost for case, PSU etc.  No more than about $800 I'd think?

And such a machine would of course be more than capable of playing downloaded 4K content, H264/H265 etc - a $50 Android box can do that.

Z0001

« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2018, 04:39:14 am »

I'm hearing a GTX 1060 6gb is needed which is $400+ you add it all up with a HiFi form factor case and it gets close

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2018, 05:38:14 am »

There are many different suggestions above.  I started a topic to try to define the boundaries of what we can do.

Media Platforms

tjobbins

• World Citizen
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2018, 07:32:31 am »

I'm hearing a GTX 1060 6gb is needed which is $400+ you add it all up with a HiFi form factor case and it gets close

I don't believe so.  In fact, if Cyberlink PowerDVD is used, it is a requirement that you must use Intel Graphics - any other GPU installed cannot be used to play a UHD disk.

I don't know the full details, but the threads I've read on the net suggest it's the processor that's important.  It's not a GPU acceleration type thing.  It's for playing games at 4K that you need a high power GPU.

Cyberlink's requirements for watching 4K UHD BluRay on a PC

AnyDVD now supports ripping 4K UHD DVD,  which would allow conversion to H264 or H265.  That's what I'd do, rip every disk to H264 and then it could be played back with very low specs (like just an Android box, as previously mentioned.)   Though ripping disks might be a moving target, given it requires that certain BluRay players are used, ones that have not been patched to block out the leaked decryption keys.   Right now there's a list of certain drives that work, and should continue to work so long as they are not firmware updated.  More info on that (as of Dec 2017).

greynolds

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2018, 07:33:14 am »

Just to be clear, we're not thinking about taking anything away.  This is just research.
Understood, I was just giving you an indication of just how important video and TV are to me - they're must haves.

greynolds

« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2018, 07:38:35 am »

I don't believe so.  In fact, if Cyberlink PowerDVD is used, it is a requirement that you must use Intel Graphics - any other GPU installed cannot be used to play a UHD disk.

I don't know the full details, but the threads I've read on the net suggest it's the processor that's important.  It's not a GPU acceleration type thing.  It's for playing games at 4K that you need a high power GPU.

AnyDVD now supports ripping 4K UHD DVD,  which would allow conversion to H264 or H265.  That's what I'd do, rip every disk to H264 and then it could be played back with very low specs (like just an Android box, as previously mentioned.)   Though ripping disks might be a moving target, given it requires that certain BluRay players are used, ones that have not been patched to block out the leaked decryption keys.   Right now there's a list of certain drives that work, and should continue to work so long as they are not firmware updated.  More info on that (as of Dec 2017).
It has been said in a number of places that MadVR HQ requires a high end GPU.  I suspect this is more for playing content that requires deinterlacing and scaling than playing native 4K content though.  But in the general sense, you're going to have a mix of 4K and non-4K content for a while.

tjobbins

• World Citizen
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2018, 07:57:58 am »

It has been said in a number of places that MadVR HQ requires a high end GPU.  I suspect this is more for playing content that requires deinterlacing and scaling than playing native 4K content though.  But in the general sense, you're going to have a mix of 4K and non-4K content for a while.

OK, yeah I guess if you want to upscale everything to 4K then that will require some GPU power.

tyler69

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2018, 08:42:01 am »

It's not only upscaling to 4K but also downscaling resolution, deinterlacing and resampling HDR<->SDR.

greynolds

« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2018, 10:15:11 am »

It's not only upscaling to 4K but also downscaling resolution, deinterlacing and resampling HDR<->SDR.
Yeah, essentially anything that requires any sort of heavy lifting.  Everything I've seen suggests that CPU performance really doesn't matter that much and all the heavy lifting happens in the GPU, so that's where the money should be spent.

dziemian

• Recent member
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2018, 12:55:24 pm »

I use JRiver only because it works both with my music and video collection. If you quit video support there are many options to choose from, with better and more user friendly interface.

dziemian

• Recent member
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2018, 12:58:02 pm »

I think the poll should ask about:

1. Music only
2. Music and video
3. Music, video and tv

tyler69

« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2018, 01:04:04 pm »

I use JRiver only because it works both with my music and video collection. If you quit video support there are many options to choose from, with better and more user friendly interface.

There are no plans to end video support. This poll is "just" fact-checking.

Boltron

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2018, 01:57:33 pm »

My use:

As a HTPC for video in theater view: 95%
Music in theater view: 4.9%
TV in theater view (I have a TV tuner card): 0.1%
For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2018, 04:36:48 pm »

Cyberlink requires specific Intel processors for their ability to run in protective environment ... so decryption key cannot be stolen (fat good did it do with Intel vulnerabilities).

For all we know Cyberlink does not do any upscaling at all (chroma upscaling) and let TV handle upscaling ... probably have to do chroma upscaling to monitors as these do not handle upscaling, but quality of upscaling to monitor can be low as monitors are not so large as TV and low quality chroma upscaling wont be so notisable.

What separates MadVR ... is its ability to use complex upscaling algorithm where your GPU processing power is the limit to upscale 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 (chroma upscaling)

Whats nice about MadVR ... it also have less complex scaling algorithm that requires less computational power ... so choice of GPU is your acceptable scaling quality (and depth of your wallet)

Whether quality of complex upscaling is worth it ... that's subjective and specific to each user

HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

rec head

« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2018, 04:38:54 pm »

For overall time spent I do mostly video but probably sit down and just listen to music 4 or 5 times a week.

stewart_pk

« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2018, 08:46:20 pm »

There are no plans to end video support. This poll is "just" fact-checking.

A poll is a questionable way to assert or check a fact.  8)

tyler69

« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2018, 01:38:06 am »

Yes, you're right. It gives a rough (we do not know the population) idea on voters preferences. I should have chosen my words more wisely :)

ABA

• Recent member
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2018, 10:55:41 am »

Both extremely important

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2018, 11:54:19 am »

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2018, 12:03:45 pm »

Don't use TV but video is a must.  MC is the only player I can depend on to always play any type of video.... 1st time everytime.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2018, 02:40:27 pm »

MC is the only player I can depend on to always play any type of video.... 1st time everytime.

SSA/ASS subtitles rendering is not so good at the moment ... while SRT dominate movies subtitles (i do mine with OCR from DVD or BluRay) ... SSA/ASS dominate anime (mostly done by fans) ... SRT are rarity here as many anime series dont even get release in English ... straight conversions from SSA/ASS to SRT are troublesome as fans utilize nearly all features of SSA/ASS which have no equivalent in SRT

Unfortunately I have to skip MC and use other players when it comes to anime ... trying to nudge developers to relook at their SSA/ASS implementaiton with no success so far :(

JezQ

« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2018, 07:55:24 pm »

I recognise, though I don't understand why, that many people use it for video and that they have bought JR and are entitled to use it. For me I'd be happy if an audio only fork was available. Video/TV has less than zero interest.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2018, 11:20:09 pm »

I recognise, though I don't understand why, that many people use it for video and that they have bought JR and are entitled to use it. For me I'd be happy if an audio only fork was available. Video/TV has less than zero interest.
People often start out one place and end somewhere else.  Here, for example:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,116724.msg807204.html#msg807204

But, if it bothers you, you can simplify the interface:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Simplified_Interface

jabo1961

• Recent member
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2018, 12:36:01 am »

Audio and Video of the greatest importance .
TV holds no interest for me.

elo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2018, 06:13:42 am »

I use MC for Audio and playback from NAS mainly. TV is not important to me. I would welcome a better interface with the existing streaming services like Netflix, HBO, Viaplay but I understand that this is not so easy due to commercial reasons

audioriver

« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2018, 09:41:29 am »

Very important. I am aware of the difficulties of supporting/improving the non-US systems, but the TV part needs more attention and seems a bit behind the rest of MC's features.
Windows 10 Pro x64

pompon

• Recent member
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2018, 02:50:33 pm »

J-river should work on tidal/spotify/apple music/qobuz integration to add feature other free software do already like vlc.

VDM driver work very bad, not able to use tidal through wdm, glitch ... no buffer changed work.

MusicHawk

« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2018, 04:43:08 pm »

For me Video is of lesser importance, and TV is zero. My MC use is Music 49%, Photos 49%. When I started with Media Jukebox 6 it was 100% Audio, but once Photos were added that quickly grew because MC is so useful for organizing images, far far far better than the expensive products from Adobe.

I would love to use MC's TV stuff but that is impossible because where I live there is no way to receive TV over the air. I know there are flat places, even in California, but I always seem to live in the coastal mountains. So, no TV.

I'm sure the DVD features are wonderful, but not my thing.

The only videos that show up in my MC come from cameras. I pull all my photos into MC and at times that includes short videos too. Nice that MC can show them but not a priority.

What isn't on the survey list is Photos, the personal media type probably created by most MC users (and prospective users) who also need to organize, manage and "play" their Photos. (Media types Music, DVD, TV are typically acquired, not personally created; as they migrate to streaming, photos will remain uniquely local and personal.) Seems like Photos should be on the survey too. Perhaps MC users haven't tried it, but the value is huge.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

kstich

• Recent member
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2018, 04:59:06 pm »

Music 60%
Ripped Blu-rays 40%

So very important. In fact, since starting to use JRiver, I cut the cords and went JRiver -> DAC -> Amp. The JRiver is my only source. My feature request has long been native DVD and Blu-Ray support. It would be nice to stick a disc in the drive and be able to play it immediately. I would gladly pay a premium for this if it were an option.

Right now I have to rip it first which is slow. For this reason I keep a Blu-ray player direct connected to the TV.

The next feature I would love to see is Airplay and Cast support (audio and video). These would make it an even better  solution.

I don't use the TV functionality at all.

stewart_pk

« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2018, 10:14:34 pm »

My feature request has long been native DVD and Blu-Ray support. It would be nice to stick a disc in the drive and be able to play it immediately. I would gladly pay a premium for this if it were an option.

Right now I have to rip it first which is slow. For this reason I keep a Blu-ray player direct connected to the TV.

Just get RedFox Any DVD HD to decrypt discs first and it can be done. I watch Bluray discs regularly via JRiver MC.

Karl78

• Recent member
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2018, 05:53:51 pm »

JRiver is the only media center and player in my home, for several years now. No (more) stand alone blu-ray players or media players, no sacd, cd players and so on. Every (multi)media file goes through my pc when I use it as HTPC, and is handled and played by JRiver. More than 100 TB of data, from video (4K, 1080p, DVD) to music (DSD - not a fan, but... -, high sampling - again, not a fan but... - flac, mp3...) to photo, etc. So, the video quality and features (I use madvr only) are as important as the audio ones. As well as the possibility to manage all the media files, all the library, with a single excellent software.

EdBrady

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2018, 09:21:26 pm »

My vote was Don't understand why... which isn't really correct but closest. I realize some use the video functionality, but I'd really like to see an audio-only option, hopefully at a little lower cost, or at least not with new versions as frequently.

Or, to put it another way, I don't mind paying for updates, provided they offer something valuable for audio-only users.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2018, 11:40:39 pm »

My vote was Don't understand why... which isn't really correct but closest. I realize some use the video functionality, but I'd really like to see an audio-only option, hopefully at a little lower cost, or at least not with new versions as frequently.

Or, to put it another way, I don't mind paying for updates, provided they offer something valuable for audio-only users.
The wiki has a topic called Simplified Interface.

Most of our work now covers both audio and video.  It wouldn't reduce our costs to split the program.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up