INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PANASONIC TX-55EZ952B OLED TV, JRiver, Intelligent Frame Creation  (Read 2545 times)

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck

Good Morning
I recently upgraded to the TV above and I am pretty happy with the performance however there is one thing that I am still a bit confused with...

With my previous Panasonic Plasma I always had IFC set to "off" because JRiver takes care of ensuring that the TV is set to the correct Refresh Rates.

However I find that with this new TV; although JRiver correctly changes the Refresh Rate I still see (a little judder) in the frames.

IFC Corrects this however it also creates artifacts around the moving objects especially on the High Settings.

I have this quite well balanced now with custom IFC settings on the TV however I would rather not have to use it at all.

Since I use JRiver to also watch TV in the UK I set the Default PC Resolution to 1080p 32-Bit - @ 50HZ.

I have the rest of the Display Settings set as follows:

Automatic Change Mode: Custom
Film 23.976 fps:               3840x2160 @ 32-Bit - 23Hz
Film 24 fps:                      3840x2160 @ 32-Bit - 24Hz
NTSC:                              1920x1080 @ 32-Bit - 60Hz
30/60 fps:                        1920x1080 @ 32-Bit - 60Hz
PAL (25/50 fps):               1920x1080 @ 32-Bit - 50Hz
Default:                           1920x1080 @ 32-Bit - 50Hz

With my previous Full HD Panasonic Plasma TV I let JRiver set the Refresh Rate correctly to begin with and never had to use the setting at all; it was always nice and smooth.

In fact the only difference to teh above is that the resolution has changed to 4K.

Any Ideas/Suggestions? Perhaps some settings in MadVR I need to Check?

On another note when i look at the Advanced Display Settings for the Panasonic TV in Windows it says that the Bit Depth is 8-Bit, RGB, SDR. Any idea how I get the PC to recognise that  the display is 10-Bit or does it not matter as MadVR Sorts it?

My Graphics Card is a NVidia 980ti.

Gracias

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: PANASONIC TX-55EZ952B OLED TV, JRiver, Intelligent Frame Creation
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 05:02:01 am »

I'd suggest you set all your custom resolutions to 3840x2160 and your NTSC should be 59.94 eg:
Film 23.976 fps:               3840x2160 @ 32-Bit - 23Hz
Film 24 fps:                      3840x2160 @ 32-Bit - 24Hz
NTSC:                              3840x2160 @ 32-Bit - 59Hz
30/60 fps:                        3840x2160 @ 32-Bit - 60Hz
PAL (25/50 fps):               3840x2160 @ 32-Bit - 50Hz
Default:                           3840x2160 @ 32-Bit - 50Hz

This way your NVidia 980ti will do the scaling and not the TV.  Do you see the judder at all refresh rates or just some?
JRiver CEO Elect

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 07:00:42 am »

Hi
I think that because I have a HDMI going direct to the TV and a display port going to my 1080p amp for their sound I cannot actually set the PC resolution higher than 1080p or the TV does not seem to accept it.

It's odd but this was the only way I could still bitstream without having to buy a new amp as well.

I found no other way of getting bitstreaming to the amp. I wonder if I should try a second d GFX card just for the HDMI sound.

With some testing with IFC off I can see that standard 50hz TV looks OK as does 1080p content at the 4k resolution as per my original settings.

Upon further investigation it appears to mainly be the 24Hz 4k Content (HDR or not).

I have been using The Dark Knight first scene Pan and the Spider-man homecoming pan of Stark tower at the start.

Cheers

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 07:26:32 am »

Hi
I think that because I have a HDMI going direct to the TV and a display port going to my 1080p amp for their sound I cannot actually set the PC resolution higher than 1080p or the TV does not seem to accept it.

It's odd but this was the only way I could still bitstream without having to buy a new amp as well.

I found no other way of getting bitstreaming to the amp. I wonder if I should try a second d GFX card just for the HDMI sound.

With some testing with IFC off I can see that standard 50hz TV looks OK as does 1080p content at the 4k resolution as per my original settings.

Upon further investigation it appears to mainly be the 24Hz 4k Content (HDR or not).

I have been using The Dark Knight first scene Pan and the Spider-man homecoming pan of Stark tower at the start.

Cheers

I have an LG OLED and NVidia GTX 1060 6gb with 1 x HDMI for video directly to the TV and 1 x HDMI for audio to the receiver and I have my custom resolutions as per jmone (all 2160p) and I dont have any issues. I also don't use bit stream. It allows me to use video reclock and also to change independent speaker volumes on the receiver as its only gets decoded pcm from the HTPC.

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 07:35:40 am »

Yes I think the issue is that my GFX Card does not have a second HDMI only two additional Display Port connections.

I therefore had to use a DP > HDMI converter to connect it to the amp for the audio. If I had 2 x HDMI I may have been OK.

I tried to go directly to the TV using a DP > HDMI Adapter to but this gave me limited resolution choices.

I may try turning off Bitstreaming and use the Optical which goes from the TV back to the Amp however this will probably limit me to 5.1 Dolby Digital..

Probably this extra stuff probably complicates matters.

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 12:08:26 pm »

Correction there is still micro stutter on motion for 1080p @ 50hz UK TS broadcast.

It's not enough for the wife to notice but it does irritate me a bit 😊

P. s. I appreciate this is not really a JRiver issue. Just looking for advice.

Will try with a secondary Graphics card or attempt bitstreaming from onboard HDMI and see how I get on.

RD James

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 01:11:45 pm »

OLEDs tend to show more judder than other display types for various reasons. Judder with 24p content in particular is a common complaint I've seen.
Make sure that your TV's firmware is up to date, but you will probably need to enable interpolation (IFC) to eliminate it.

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 03:42:08 pm »

Thanks.
Yes I think I have come to the same conclusion.

If it helps anyone the settings I have found best are Custom. Blur 3, Smooth 4.

This enables smoother frames with minimal Artefacts.

Thanks for the input guys.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 04:51:33 pm »

OLEDs tend to show more judder than other display types for various reasons. Judder with 24p content in particular is a common complaint I've seen.
Make sure that your TV's firmware is up to date, but you will probably need to enable interpolation (IFC) to eliminate it.

agree here.  I have an LG OLED and it does exhibit judder more than my Panny 1080p plasma or frankly any other set i've used that is not OLED based.  i've largely gotten used to it.

The LG OLEDs have atrocious software for motion enhance/flow/whatever they market it as.  the deblur/dejudder i leave off as it introduces way too many artifacts into the image, and that I can't get used to!
TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 07:48:59 am »

I have spent a few weeks sorting out this TV now and I am very happy with the settings. Thought I would share for anyone else with this TV.

Note you can make some additional colour changes and tweaks as there is a post on YouTube from AVForums for this.

The TV allows different settings for the same HDMI source according to whether the content is Standard or HDR. Just send an appropriate feed to adjust the settings.

Standard Settings (Non-HDR, TV, 1080p Settings)

Viewing Mode: Professional2
Luminance: 85
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 0
Colour: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Colour Temperature: Warm2
Vivid Colour: Off
Rec 2020 Colour Remaster: Max
Reversal Film Effect > Dynamic Range Remaster: All Off
Intelligent Frame Creation: Custom. Blur 3, Smooth 4
Clear Motion: Off
Advanced Settings
Contrast Control: Auto
Gamma: 2.4
Option Settings
Game Mode > 1080p Pixel...: All Off

HDR Settings

Viewing Mode (HDR): Professional2
Luminance: 100
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 0
Colour: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 50
Colour Temperature: Warm2
Vivid Colour: Off
Rec 2020 Colour Remaster: Max
Reversal Film Effect > Dynamic Range Remaster: All Off
Intelligent Frame Creation: Custom. Blur 3, Smooth 4
Clear Motion: Off
Advanced Settings
Contrast Control: Custom Adaptive Gamma 8, Black Expander 5, Clear White Effect 5
Gamma: 2.3
Option Settings
Game Mode > 1080p Pixel...: All Off

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 08:05:48 am »

Thanks for posting.

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 03:54:24 am »

Is it possible to automatically set the Display Settings when you start to watch Television?

I know it changes resolution automatically when you play a video however it will just use the current desktop settings whenever you start watching TV.

The desktop sometimes boots up as 3840x2160 @ 32-Bit - 23Hz and this makes watching 50Hz broadcasts a little jerky.

Would this be a new feature or is there an option for this?

Cheers

turbofeet

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 09:11:27 am »

I also managed to find out why I couldn't set it to 4k @ 50 or 60hz too.

The HDMI Auto setting needed to be Mode1 and then Nvidia control panel could be set to auto settings rather than having to set RGB settings etc.

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up