INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC based DSP : HDMI in, HDMI video passthrough, analog outputs, which hardware ?  (Read 2076 times)

gug42

• Recent member

Hello Evryone,

I hope you could give me some idea for my new project.
My "dream" is simple  : build a PC based DSP for movies - home theater - and music :
- HDMI input : LPCM 8 channels audio input ;  4k HDR video pass-through 
- Multiple audio outpout analog, at least 8, to be able to do active-crossover and FIR filtering

Indeed :
- All my digitral and connected gears are HDMI for music and movies
-  No place to have two seperate audio stuff, one for movies and one for music, so the same column loudspeaker must be use for movies (stereo) and movies (more speakers .... for 5.1)
- Main left/righ loudspeakers will be 3 ways with active crossover and FIR filtering.  For now, the other speakers (central and surround) will be in passive filtering

So a PC base DSP would be very nice ... A HDMI input, audio analogs output, hdmi video passthrough.
Simple dream, but hard for now to find the right gears. Any advice and/or ideas ?

Thank you in advance

Thank you in advance

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

HDMI input is not so easy given HDCP (which can be dealt with) and the desire for multichannel audio (not so easy). The only card I've heard of that might be able to do multichannel audio is the blackmagic intensity pro however the reports I've read of that say that it wasn't v reliable and extremely picky about the host hardware (inc the pci-e controller).

Personally I use a magewell usb3 hdmi device which provides a v low latency capture and seems v reliable, stereo only though which is fine for me as I'm only using it for secondary sources and use jriver as my primary source for all critical content.

For a standalone PC I think it's more likely that you'd be placing that downstream of an appropriate AVR and feeding the analogue outputs from that AVR into an appropriately sized pro audio device.

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe

You're better off either:
  • Buying an AVR which can do the DSP you want.
  • Using the PC as a playback source rather than DSP for an external source.
8-channel LPCM in/out is likely possible, but not with 4K HDR video pass-through.
I have an old sound card with HDMI in/out that I believe can do the former, but it's only HDMI 1.3 which really limits the video formats that it supports.

gug42

• Recent member

Hello,

Thank you for your advise and honnesty. It will be a hard task :(

Mattkhan : interesting card indeed.  Specs here are very attractive : https://www.adorama.com/bmbintspro4k.html
Did you get more info or some link about the right host hardware / pci-e controller ?

RD James :  Yes you'r probably right ... I will try a nanoAVR HDA (Hdmi input, 8 analog, IIR filter) but sadly limited to HDMI 1.4 and no FIR.

Regards,
Pages: [1]   Go Up