INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accessing main library over network  (Read 896 times)

wburkett

• World Citizen
Accessing main library over network
« on: July 26, 2018, 04:11:48 pm »

I don't know anything about DNLA or streaming, so I may be thinking about this problem all wrong.  In fact, I'm not even sure this is the right place for this question.

I have MC24 on my main home computer (Win7) and my music library is physically located there on that machine.  I installed MC24 on a Surface Pro (Win10) and have my music library backed up to a portable external drive; the path to the portable drive when plugged into the Surface is the same as on my main computer, so I backup the MC library on my main computer and restore on the Surface - perfect duplication and it works fine.  I did this so I can take my music with me to work and travel.

When I'm on my home network, I'd like to connect MC on the Surface to my music library on my main computer over the network so I don't have to connect the external drive.  I've tried Adding A Library, but get an error message that I can't add my own library.  I also tried Adding a Library by browsing to my shared music folder over the network, but couldn't access that folder (which is a mysterious sharing permissions problems, not an MC problem.)

Is there an easier way to get MC on the Surface connected to the library on my main computer?

thx - Bill

wburkett

• World Citizen
Re: Accessing main library over network
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 05:32:10 pm »

I think I figured it out.  Once I got the folder sharing permissions corrected, I was able to import the folder containing the music on my main computer into the new "Library Server" Library. 

What I'm wondering is: Why didn't the MC on the Surface automatically recognize or build-out the library contents once I connected it?  I added the Library Server library using http://localhost:52199 -- it wouldn't let me use the Access Key from the MC installation on my main computer (it said I couldn't add my own library)

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 05:54:13 pm »

A better way to do this is to connect to the Win7 library from the Surface when you're at home (instead of importing). I think if you search for TRemote you'll find some thorough instructions.

wburkett

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 08:18:34 pm »

Thanks, DJ - that sounds like what I originally tried and wanted to do.  However, since I do the backup library from Win7 and restore to the Surface, the Access Code for both instances of Media Center is the same. And when I try to add the remote library, I get an error message that I can't add my own library.  How do I change the Access Key on client installation?

(read about TRemote here: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tremote)

wburkett

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 08:57:54 pm »

Ha!  Okay - this shows how much I know!  Your comment, DJ, got me to look at the Access Key on the Win7 machine and the Surface.   On the Surface installation of MC, I finally noticed - and it finally sunk in - that the "Use Media Network to share the library and enable DNLA" option was checked.  So unchecked it and suddenly the library on the Win7 machine showed up as a library on the Surface installation!  Complete with playlists and everything.  Problem solved.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up