INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Question about recording  (Read 714 times)

TedK

• Recent member
A Question about recording
« on: July 28, 2018, 03:56:22 pm »

I'm curious.  If I record a piece of music whose Output settings have been significantly enhanced in JRiver, (using, let's say, Adobe Audition to record) will the resultant recorded music be significantly enhanced as well?  In other words, can I substantially enhance a music track by re-recording it at much higher Output settings?  Can you turn an mp3 file, for example, into a wav file with higher bit rate and higher Khz?  And will I be able to hear the difference in quality (with top of the line headphones)?

swiv3d

Re: A Question about recordnig
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 04:23:39 pm »

Try it by using DSP settings and listening to the output. There isn't any need to record the output. No amount of messing with an audio file will replace the lost information from an mp3 file but you might prefer the output -everyone's listening experience is different.

TedK

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 09:05:00 pm »

Thanks, swiv3d.  I am aware that I'm not going to add data to the compressed mp3 file to bring it, let's say, to the level of a wav file.  But I'm just wondering how the DSP enhancements work.  And do they do enough to bring it to a level that is sufficiently fuller in sound?  My ears are aware of the surround-field enhancement as well as the effects of the equalizer settings, for example.  But what about the boost of the output from 44,100 Hz to 96,000 Hz? How does that work?  I read articles that assert that nobody can really tell the difference anyway.  How does JRiver produce such an enhancement?  When I listen to the resultant tract after my DSP changes, it does sound better to me.  But maybe I'm just kidding myself.  My hearing is not all that discerning.  I like to record the result and keep the track so that I don't have to reset all the DSP categories every time I play the song. I guess it all does come down to whether it sounds better to me, as you stated.  I record using Adobe Audition, and I use the What U Hear setting in my sound card to record.  Is my sound card recognizing 96K Hz even if I'm not? Or is it some kind of simulated 96000 Hz?

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 02:47:28 pm »

As for how JRiver MC goes about its resampling you would need one of the tech guys to explain it. I just set everything in DSP to output stereo at 96Khz and 24 bit depth with no equalizer effects. I have a separate zone Headphones,  based on the player zone which adds headphone effects to the 24/96 output.

TedK

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 04:48:07 pm »

Thanks for your reply, swiv3d. There is a discussion of up-sampling elsewhere in this Forum.  The most intelligible explanation I could get is this: "Upsampling/oversampling involves stuffing the missing data on the added bits using some algorithm."  There is, as you might expect, a wide range of opinion as to whether this actually enhances a given sound track.  So we're back to the evidence of our own ears (and mind). I use the same settings as you in DSP and on my sound card. It seems to work for me.  Thanks again for responding.
Pages: [1]   Go Up