INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Migrate away from iTunes?  (Read 857 times)

VoiceCoil

• Recent member
Migrate away from iTunes?
« on: July 28, 2018, 06:39:48 pm »

Help! I need to abandon iTunes. All my files are currently sourced from there and I play them in MC24. I update and download files in iTunes and have set up MC to auto-import all additions and changes. So far so good. Spending lots of time trying to get answers, but info is either old or I just can't find anything relevant. Please, is there a straight-forward piece of info on transferring all my audio files to a brand new library (I have only audio with tags embedded in them) that does not ultimately rely in any way on iTunes once done? Can I then directly import new music into MC and eliminate the extra steps required by iTunes, as well do all editing from MC? I have successfully created a new library and I know how to copy files but I've read things about .xml files and such that need attention as well. Here's where I get lost. I'm using MC 24.0.42 on a MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 Retina) OS 10.13.6 High Sierra.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Migrate away from iTunes?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 12:05:44 am »

You just need to import your files.  You don't need iTunes for that and MC won't interfere with iTunes in any way.

This may help:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Getting_Started

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 01:13:31 pm »

The XML file thing is only necessary if you have information in ITunes, that is NOT in the tags of your files, and you want to import that information into MC.  On the other hand, if all the data you care about (Artist, Album, etc) is contained in the file tags of the music files, then there's nothing special required.

I would recommend a few things:

1.  Do some auditing to make sure you have everything in MC that you want.  You might compare things like number of songs in ITunes versus MC.  Or other metrics that make sense.
2.  Once you are confident that you have everything, move your music files to a location that ITunes does *not* know about.  This will keep itunes from stepping on your files should you ever run it again (accidentally or otherwise).  This part can be tricky.  I'm pretty good at it because I've done it a bunch.  But you might skip this step if you are never going to run ITunes again and it doesn't bother you that all of your music files are sitting in a directory called "ITunes Music".

You can certainly manage everything from MC.  Importing, tagging, etc.  The tagging window is your friend.  Learn to use it.  For me, it looked weird at first.  Too simple.  But then I figured out that simple was elegant in the land of MC.  ...and the tagging window is also very powerful.

If there's something we didn't address here, please ask.

Brian.

VoiceCoil

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 06:05:11 pm »

Thank you. I have been doing a lot of exploring with importing/tagging and although a few things do seem a little weird I do see the elegant simplicity in it. I completely removed all my audio files from the iTunes directory path and created a new directory totally separate from it and moved them all there. I then deleted every file in the iTunes folder. When iTunes does fire up it has no effect. Perfect! Just what I was after. MC is excellent! Thanks for the info. Very helpful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up