INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC24 won't install on WHS  (Read 725 times)

rknox

• Recent member
MC24 won't install on WHS
« on: July 30, 2018, 07:38:56 pm »

I know Windows Servers are not supported in general.  But, I have been using MC21 on a WHS server for a few years now.  I thought I would upgrade to 24 with my master license but install dies - no error messages.   The install starts unpacking files, dialogue box disappears and that's it.   Was there a particular version when this stopped?  That is, could I install v23 for example?

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC24 won't install on WHS
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 04:24:16 am »

The original Windows Home Server was based on the same core as Windows XP (or Windows Server 2003), which is no longer supported in MC24.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 07:05:00 pm »

I have had an installer start unpacking the software and then just quite without apparent reason on one occasion. I think a reboot or two, and Windows updates fixed the issue, but it could have been my security software that was actually killing the process.

So while XP and WHS aren't supported, maybe you can still get it to install. But you could then have a host of other issues with MC. I haven't read anywhere that there have been changes which actually break an XP/WHS installation, although the Open GL change may not work, and eventually Direct3D won't work as it is being phased out.

Probably best to update the WHS machine to Windows 10 and run it as a server.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 03:16:17 am »

MC24 will not run on that OS, there is no trick you can do. MC23 should still work.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jachin99

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 02:20:21 pm »

What 2011 is WSR2 based I believe and I think it was built off of win 7 core.  If all of that is true then MC will probably install on it.

rknox

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 10:56:33 am »

I was able to install mc23 on whs v1  (windows 2003 based). 
Pages: [1]   Go Up