INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie playlist question  (Read 870 times)

ventilatedslacks

• Junior Woodchuck
  • bouncing off the walls, mr jones is back...
Newbie playlist question
« on: June 01, 2003, 11:30:39 am »

I'm fascinated by all the ways Media Center allows you to slice and dice your playlists using the Smartlist rules. But I've come across one type of playlist I'd like to create and I can't seem to figure out if there's a way to use Smartlists to do it.

You know how radio stations often have "Block Party Weekends" where they play blocks (usually 2 or 3 songs) from different artists? Well, I'd like to create a playlist in this style. But it appears that the "Limit" modifier applies to the entire playlist - there doesn't seem to be a way to pick, say, Beck, Wilco, and REM, and limit the playlist to only 3 songs from each of them.

Do any of the MC experts out there have any thoughts on how to achieve this?

Thanks!

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Newbie playlist question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 03:23:21 pm »

C'mon... anyone?  I'd like to see how to do this too?

Adam(S)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 03:46:45 pm »

I think you can make a playlist of playlists.  You might be able to do it that way.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2003, 06:42:51 pm »

Yeah Jim, I thought about that.  I also thought about using a custom field to mark certain songs as belonging to an "Artist Block" or something similar.

But I do think somewhere along the line this would be a good idea.

Because if you have a smartlist that of a certain genre for example, and you happen to have a number of songs by one artist you tend to get inundated with songs from that artist.

I know Kurt asked for this a while ago as well. Some limiter around Artist to say only a certain percentage of that artist should be included.

Well, food for thought....w/o us customers your day would be so boring wouldn't it.  :)

Adam(S)
Pages: [1]   Go Up