INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't install VST plugins in MC24 [Solved]  (Read 4997 times)

loddie

• Junior Woodchuck
Can't install VST plugins in MC24 [Solved]
« on: August 02, 2018, 06:46:38 pm »

As title suggests, I can't install any VSTs in MC24 (64bit), Windows 10.  MC has been registered (forgot to provide registration key at first).

From researching this forum, I understand MC24 (64bit) can only accept VST2 plugins and they must be 64bit. As none of my existing VSTs would install, I downloaded several to test to ensure they were 64bit and VST2  (mvMeter2 x64.dll, MJUCjr.dll, Bitter_64.dll).  After installing the VST (in >Program Files>Steinberg>VSTPlugins), I then:

1. Open DSP studio (Player>DSP Studio...).
2. Select "Manage Plug-ins...">"Add JRiver, VST, or Winamp Plug-in..."
3. When "Do you want to allow this app..." appears, select "Yes".
4. When the "Select Plug-in File" window appears, navigate to the .dll file in the VST folder structure above and select the desired .dll file. Select "Open".

For every VST plug-in, "Failed to install plug-in" appears.   

Here is a screenshot of the DSP settings.  Is there certain settings that have to be selected or enabled before installing a VST plugin?   Is the path structure for the plugins OK (>Program Files>Steinberg>VSTPlugins)?  Perusing the forum, it seems others are also having trouble installing VSTs.  Hopefully, I'm just missing something simples as VST capability was the reason I purchased JRiver.

Thank-you

JookieCola

• Recent member
Re: Can't install VST plugins in MC24
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 01:21:07 pm »

Hello loddie,

I just grabbed the Bitter plugin (Bitter_64.dll) and installed it without any problem.  There isn't anything special you need to do to install plugins, other than making sure you're using x64 with x64.  I have had a couple plugins not install (out of 50+ or so) fail, but come to think of it, I am pretty sure I haven't seen that error message since I upgraded to x64 (weird). 

The path to the .dll doesn't matter as long as it installed.  Whenever you run a plugin, it will phone home and figure out the path/validation by itself.

Are you able to open them and use them in other hosts without problems? 

Perhaps a dumb question, but just to try to eliminate variables, did you actually install the plugins.  I ask because it seems like some free plugin vst dll's are bundled up without their installers, and that will cause them to fail.  (Just because I have never done this before, I just uninstalled bitter but kept the dll, and then installed it in media center. It failed but not with a popup message.  See screen shot.  It's funny that media center still installed it but failed it.  I have never seen that before.)

So... since I made it fail and did not get a message that the install failed, I am sort of at a loss.  Let me know if you get it to run in another host if possible.  If you don't have another host you can always grab Reaper.

- A party in a can

loddie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 07:14:19 pm »

Hi JookieCola,

Thank-you for the detailed responses and taking time to try install the Bitter VST plugin!

Yes, in steps 1&2 in my first post I followed the installation proces you mentioned.  I didn't even try the other way as several posts indicated there is only one way to install VSTs. 

However, I think you are onto something in that I may not have properly installed the VST before trying to install into JRiver. Unfortunately, my power supply (I think) died and so I won't be able to confirm this until later this week. 

loddie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 07:17:43 pm »

Odd, initially JookieCola had two responses, but while I typed my response, one of them disappeared.

Once my computer is running again, I'll try installing in other VST hosts as if JRiver installation is still unsuccessful.

JookieCola

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 12:38:34 am »

Odd, initially JookieCola had two responses, but while I typed my response, one of them disappeared.

Once my computer is running again, I'll try installing in other VST hosts as if JRiver installation is still unsuccessful.

Yeah...  I snipped my own post.  One of the "Install plug-in..." options only worked for media center plug-ins (like track info and other data nabbing things), but that must have changed since I last tried that.

Boo on your computer.  When you get it back up and running and get back to dinking with this, I would suggest just grabbing the Bitter plug-in and installing/reinstalling it and loading it in media center again.  That would be much easier than installing a DAW and then figuring that out.

I have more useless knowledge about vst plug-ins, and ramming them into places they don't want to be, than I will admit to.  Let me know if/when you get back to it and if it worked. 

loddie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 09:38:00 pm »

Hi JookieCola,

OK, power supply fixed computer and good news!   VST plugins now work. 

For those who may also experience problems with VSTs, the following may help. First, understand on Windows there are 32bit and 64bit programs and they have different folders. 

There are two versions of JRiver - 32bit and 64bit. Make sure you download the correct version! This may seem obvious.  However, if you are like me and have spent 30+ on Macs and you see a download BUTTON that says "WINDOWS DOWNLOAD", you select it.  But NOOOOOOO!  Don't do it if you want the 64bit version of JRiver.  You must keep reading down the downloads page and there you will find a TEXT link to download the 64 bit version.  Note the download BUTTON for Windows doesn't say anything about 32 bit, nor does the text.  If you make this simple mistake due to JRiver's method of presenting information, you may spend hours reading forums why you can't make things happen in JRiver and starting needless threads for help!

How do you know if you installed the wrong version of JRiver?  Help > About Media Center...>  Title will state "(64 bit)" for the 64 bit version. NOTE: If you have the 32bit version, it will not say anything about 32bit!

As for VSTs, they are pretty simple. It seems all VST "installers" do is move the VST .dll file to the C: drive and hopefully you are paying attention to where it installs or directing the installer to the correct folder. For VSTs, just realize they are also 32bit or 64bit. As long as you point JRiver to the .dll file, it should work. Howevever, the question is where is the .dll file?  For good housekeeping, you may want to create two VST folders. I created one for 64bit .dll files (C:\Programs\VSTplugins) and one for 32bit .dll files (C:\Programs(x86)\VSTplugins. Then I went looking in other VST host I had installed and the Steinburg folders and put all the .dll files I could find in the two respective folders I created for VSTs. All is good now. And in the future, all I have to remember is if the VST is 32 bit or 64 bit, then it should be obvious where to find it.

This video helped me, but problably could have been 4 minutes shorter:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=22&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjY_deG-ePcAhVq_4MKHWmOBxYQwqsBMBV6BAgAEAc&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Df5xR5-OhsSs&usg=AOvVaw3HDlauLzZu-iB7WG1p6Gzt

Hope this helps someone else save hours of needless troubleshooting.

JookieCola

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 09:49:51 pm »

Hi JookieCola,

OK, power supply fixed computer and good news!   VST plugins now work. 

<snip>

Excellent...  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up