INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transferring playlist and music files from one computer to another  (Read 1778 times)

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen

Is there an easy way to transfer a playlist and the associated music files from one computer to another?  I am going on vacation and want to transfer my latest playlist of around 700 music files and cover art from the desktop computer where they currently reside to my laptop.  I have MC 24 installed on both computers.  And, the computers are networked on a LAN. I am hoping there is some 1-3 step method of doing this that wouldn't be as manual as making a list and transferring one at a time.   

I want to power everything down before leaving and don't have the time right to set the desktop up as a media server with access from a WAN.  I have gotten it to work on the LAN but router and Windows Defender firewall issues need to be resolved for using on a WAN and from experience this effort can take lots of time I don't have. 

I clicked around and didn't see anything obvious but believe the capability is probably there. 

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Transferring playlist and music files from one computer to another
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 12:24:10 pm »

The wiki has a topic called Moving Files.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 01:38:04 pm »

The wiki has a topic called Moving Files.

Thanks Jim - that got me started. 

Issue:  How do I set attributes in the Copy function to create the folders on the second computer exactly as they are named in computer 1?  I got a folder to copy over using the "Album" setting expecting it to copy the folder as currently named but it only listed the Album title as the folder name.  I could not find a Preset that would just use the current folder name for each album.  I tried no preset and then no folder was created and just files were copied over.   For reference I am highlighting the files from/in the Playlist I want to copy over.   

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 03:14:28 pm »

In the box under Base Path click the down arrow and select insert function and chose Filefolder() That will put the file into a folder of the same name as the one it currently resides in. If you have nested folders you might have to play a bit with the levels setting.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 04:54:58 pm »

In the box under Base Path click the down arrow and select insert function and chose Filefolder() That will put the file into a folder of the same name as the one it currently resides in. If you have nested folders you might have to play a bit with the levels setting.

Thanks - I "played" with some settings and got nowhere.  I am sure you are right this will do it, but, without some instructions its beyond me.  I have already invested 4 hours into this trying to do it an "easy" way.  I could have manually and tediously taken care of it by now.   That's my overall issue with JRiver - super powerful if you know.  If not, an exercise in frustration.   

Thanks for trying to help me out - I do appreciate it!   

swiv3d

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 05:31:17 pm »

If you do have a usb drive it is quite easy to set up a folder on it and then add it as a device and use send to device, You can then transfer the files to a folder on your laptop
Then import theminto the laptops library (perhaps a new one to avoid duplications and then select all of the new imports to create your playlist..

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 05:40:49 pm »

If you do have a usb drive it is quite easy to set up a folder on it and then add it as a device and use send to device, You can then transfer the files to a folder on your laptop
Then import theminto the laptops library (perhaps a new one to avoid duplications and then select all of the new imports to create your playlist..

I will try that.   Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up