INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with Mac mini running High Sierra  (Read 1303 times)

thresholdman

• Recent member
Problems with Mac mini running High Sierra
« on: August 04, 2018, 07:06:38 pm »

Im been having lots of instability issues with version 24. It seems that I have to reboot my server very often to get the system to work. Prior to version 24 Id run into issues if the server was pushed an update from apple that I had not installed. It seems that I have to troubleshoot the system very frequently to get it to work. This is not much fun. Anyone having similar issues? Any advice?

dejanm

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Problems with Mac mini running High Sierra
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 12:47:46 am »

Hi,

I am using JRiver on Mac Mini 2012 with Mavericks without major issues. It is not as stable as under Win10 but it works fine. I am not sure if this is of any help to you but that is my experience with Mac version of JRiver.

Duffin

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 10:04:41 am »

I was having similar stability issues on my mac mini (5 years old.....), and I have finally decided to move to the iD away from the mini mac because I don't want the hassle with the mac version.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 10:26:59 am »

You might want to try the build I just posted (24.0.45).

We build it on a Mac Mini running High Sierra and it runs nicely here.

thresholdman

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 10:57:58 am »

Are there any specific settings that you would suggest that would improve the performance of the min mac and jremote? The specific issues I have are:

1. I need to reboot the mini mac after I have shut down my main audio system (unplugged and biconnected from the ethernet for lightening storms). The mini mac is plugged in at all times. If I don't reboot my renderer will crash when I play music. I use the mini mac as a server which is connected to the renderer via ethernet. I use jremote as a control point.

2. There are times when a jremote instance (i have jremote on an iPhone and an iPad) cannot find the music server.

This has become a frequent problem lately due to the amount of thunder storms we have been having in Cincinnati. I don't want to reboot my mini mac every time I run into an issue. I'm getting to the point where I'm considering alternatives even though I've used river for 5 years.

churchmouse

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 03:23:15 pm »

I too have experienced far more crashes (kernel panics) of MC v24 on High Sierra than I ever had with V23 - using either Gizmo or Eos apps on Android.  Also, recognition of the server and renderer on my LAN was slow.

My solution has been to return to using BubbleUPnP Server to create an OpenHome server/renderer environment and control with the free Lumin app.  This has been very solid.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 09:04:47 am »

Are there any specific settings that you would suggest that would improve the performance of the min mac and jremote? The specific issues I have are:

1. I need to reboot the mini mac after I have shut down my main audio system (unplugged and biconnected from the ethernet for lightening storms). The mini mac is plugged in at all times. If I don't reboot my renderer will crash when I play music. I use the mini mac as a server which is connected to the renderer via ethernet. I use jremote as a control point.

2. There are times when a jremote instance (i have jremote on an iPhone and an iPad) cannot find the music server.

This has become a frequent problem lately due to the amount of thunder storms we have been having in Cincinnati. I don't want to reboot my mini mac every time I run into an issue. I'm getting to the point where I'm considering alternatives even though I've used river for 5 years.
What is the renderer you are unplugging? Is it a DLNA renderer?

With regards to the finding the server, I assume you've check the firewall settings on the mini? In the Preference Panel->Security & Privacy->Firewall->Firewall Options you should have MC24 set to allow incoming connections.

F Ribeiro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • If it isn't broken don't fix it.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 07:06:46 pm »

You might want to try the build I just posted (24.0.45).

We build it on a Mac Mini running High Sierra and it runs nicely here.

Why MAC version won't spin NAS HDDs when they are in hibernate mode?
Windows version, in this situation, shows a message saying “spinning  drives” until they are ready and after that starts playing without any problems.

MAC version won't shows that message and after a few seconds shows a message saying “there was a problem connecting to server”.

My NAS is a Synology DS 216 Play. My MAC is a MAC MINI (headless).

JRiver Media Center 25 PC and MAC | PC: Dell Latitude E5250 - Windows 10 Pro | MAC: Mac Mini late 2014 - Mojave | Amp: Classe CAP-2100 | CD Player: Meridian G08.2 | DAC: Naim DAC V1 | Turntable: Linn Axis, Akito tonearm, Adikt MM | Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28 | Cables: Transparent, Nordost | Server: Synology DS216 Play Raid 1 |
Pages: [1]   Go Up