INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Location Pane automatically resets each time tag is edited -- is this normal?  (Read 1042 times)

carlismysecondname

• Junior Woodchuck

I often use the location pane to navigate to certain nested folders, say, 'albums to sort' folder nested under two other folders. In this nested folder I have a dozen or so albums that I am currently editing the tags of. However, whenever I change a tag entry, say, the artist or disc number of a file(s), the location pane always collapses back to the root folder. This is incredibly tedious as I have to re-navigate all over again to the 'albums to sort' folder each and every time I edit a tag because I am moving between the nested folders within that 'albums to sort' folder. I don't see the logic behind this behaviour given I am only changing the disc number or artist name, and not changing the path itself. Why does the location pane necessarily/persistently have to reset back to the root location every single time I edit a tag?

Quite frankly I don't remember if it ever did this before as I have not been editing tags much the past couple months and only recently started to re-edit my file tags.

swiv3d

Select the albums you want to work with and add them to a playlist - then do your tagging in the playlist - should be no problem.

carlismysecondname

• Junior Woodchuck

Select the albums you want to work with and add them to a playlist - then do your tagging in the playlist - should be no problem.

thanks for the advise! Can't believe I hadn't thought of this ...

This is quite a handy workaround -- however, I would have hoped to stay within the panes view area as I find it extremely useful to immediately be able to see the albums and artist or album artist lists at the same time. Also, having a directory tree (location pane) visible while tagging is very helpful when sorting out the occasional haphazardly arranged, nested folders.

The space for a path field is only so long to make it immediately easy to see the relationship between some files -- I literally am still scrolling left and right constantly. This is especially true if working on a small screen as I am right now (10" netbook/chrome type laptop).

Again, it would be nice to see some navigation lock or any other keyboard shortcut options within the program. Say, a shortcut key or button to lock the location pane to the currently selected folder. Or a shortcut key to immediately "refocus" the location pane or even sidebar directory tree to the first selected file in the display. That way, one wouldn't have to re-navigate all over again to the original nested location you were working in after just slightly making casual edits to a field entry.

Don't know if this is easily feasible to change right now for developers, but certainly should be noted as something that could be improved on...

anyway, thanks again for the playlist tip.

carlismysecondname

• Junior Woodchuck

it would be nice to see some navigation lock

Well, at last I've finally figured out a way to lock the directory location! You just paste the directory path to the search bar and leave it there. However, this does not keep the tree or location pane locked in place; it still goes back to root.

At least I can work in the pane view...

**Upon further thought, this really doesn't help me much.

Right now, it just makes more sense to use the the Files View in the side tree and show/hide the tag pane using alt+enter -- while this is not optimal as I have to constantly toggle the tag pane out of the way to see the tree again, at least it works. One might as well completely ignore the annoying location pane altogether.

carlismysecondname

• Junior Woodchuck

Just to note: this behaviour for the automatically collapsing location pane does not occur in my Images - Files View for some reason. In the Video - Files View location pane, it will collapse per tag edit as well. Hmmm.

swiv3d

What tags are you editing? My Video location pane isn't collapsing at all. Nor are the others! Is there something inyour view definition like a complex calculated field which would require recalculation when changes are made? Just throwing out a hopeful suggestion here ;D

carlismysecondname

• Junior Woodchuck

I created a new panes view to see if that will fix the problem. Nope. Still the same behaviour.

Any tag entry e.g. genre, name, track #, disc #, artist, etc... standard or manually created, it doesn't matter. If you edit an entry, the locations pane resets or collapses back to root.

I think you may be thinking of the side tree's audio files view. I am specifically talking about the panes view where you add the file path field to sit beside the artist/album/genre/work/composer or whatever field you choose. It is convenient to use the location pane here instead of the side tree on the left. Why? Well, for one, activating the full tagging pane covers up the side tree completely. It's not as if the tagging pane can be set to appear on the right hand side of the window or even horizontally. That's the main reason why it's still such a bother to use it even if the side tree works okayish now.

*as for the playlist thing, I've yet found another similar solution for myself. I created a new custom field called EDIT. And added a single integer to set such (to be editied) files apart from the rest of my library. Instead of typing the longish full directory path in the search field I just write "edit=2" and this brings up the files that have yet to be tagged 100% correctly. I still have to use the tree view every now and then, but this makes it quicker rather than re-navigating all over again to the specific folder to be edited via the location pane. Again, if one uses the side tree -- or playlist view -- instead of the location pane, the rest of the panes in "panes view" (e.g. album/artist etc) will unfortunately always disappear. As flexible as JRiver is, it's still quite a long way from perfect. In fact, I still keep/prefer spotify and my NAS's built in music app on my phone at times -- and this having used JRiver software longer.

carlismysecondname

• Junior Woodchuck

this pic may illustrate the "location pane" I'm actually talking about better.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"

how many computers do you have MC installed on?
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

swiv3d

I think I'm thinking of the location pane which is adamantly refusing to collapse in any way.

swiv3d

The problem appears to be the way your location pane is set up.

carlismysecondname

• Junior Woodchuck

Hmmmn... I don't believe I've set anything particularly special with the pane.
I've tried changing the sorting to default, moved it from far left to far right, changed the config several times.
Again, It doesn't collapse when working with images. ON THE OTHER HAND, I have overwritten the original config for this view. Hmmmn. That may be the culprit, after all? I am going to do a fresh install when I get home tomorrow. I am currently remotely controlling the PC from another netbook. I also have access to my library remotely with a local installation here on the netbook and same behaviour so far.

*as for the other question, I have JRiver installed in two PCs and one Xubuntu system on an ancient Dell laptop. I have reinstalled the linux version over four or five times now on different distros on ancient and newer laptops, but have always been left a little bit disapppointed, so nope. Not sure if I'll go back there.

swiv3d

Filtering in both directions might cause a problem. I don't set a filepath in location.

carlismysecondname

• Junior Woodchuck

I didn't want to reinstall JRiver just yet as I had over a 150k tag changes pending. Sooo... I tried just about every combination of changes in my view settings. Nothing worked. Deleting all rules and modifications etc. Absolutely nothing.

Then I tried editing tags of files located within different local drives and network locations... and what do you know! JRiver's location pane doesn't like any of my network paths. Arghh! If I assign a local drive letter -- I've already almost used up all my local drive letters so I avoid them as much as possible -- everthing just works fine.

BTW, swiv3d, thanks for prodding me about the filepaths!

Now we can call this issue resolved.

However, I'd still say this is a bug (which needs to be fixed) with JRiver and how it treats network paths in the panes view.
Pages: [1]   Go Up