INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Network connection fails from remote  (Read 1833 times)

Duffin

• Recent member
Network connection fails from remote
« on: August 04, 2018, 11:17:07 am »

Hi Support Team
I have just received my new iD last Thursday from you.
Up and running in no time, all good.
The box is a bit louder than I had expected (compared to a MAC Mini) but otherwise no issues.

Today, during playback, suddenly the device not reachable per remote app.
After reconnecting a monitor and keyboard mouse I clicked around and discovered the eth0 port has no connection.
Swapped ethernet cable with the mini mac cable, the mac mini continued to be ok, the iD not reachable.
Reboot, no difference.
Rebooted Switch, no difference.
Used a LAN cable Tester, cable is fine
I have checked the network settings, and have now activated WLAN, so I can continue to use the iD but of course much slower (about 17.000 flac files in the library/on the Disk)
If I request the network Info I get the message for eth0 that the device cannot be found, so I would guess either a driver/config error, or hardware.
What do I do now?
Without Ethernet life is way too slow
Please advise.
Mike

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Network connection fails from remote
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 11:54:34 am »

It's possible that DHCP isn't working for some reason.

You might try rebooting your modem if it's the DHCP server.

Duffin

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 10:51:10 am »

Hi Jim
Thanks for answering on a Sunday! Very kind of you.

No, definitely not, Network is fine. DHCP is fine, as is DNS. Multiple devices on the network all DHCP all fine. The Wireless Network connection for the iD works (more or less see below), and that is per DHCP from the same router. Checked IP conflicts, none. Swapped cables, no change. Moved to a different switch, no difference, cabled directly to the router switch ports, no difference. All other devices on the network are working fine and booting fine. Onkyo Receiver, Mini Mac, Amazon Fire, IP Telephones, 3 windows computers and one mac, several cameras. Everything is working perfectly except the id. I checked the IP Adress range being out of addresses, more than a hundred still available in the DHCP range
Tried Static IP MAsk and Gateway and Static DNS in the settings page of the "wired", does not help.
The exact message when I ask Network Info is "error fetching interface information: Device not found"
That message tells me (I think) either that the driver has not been loaded, or that the NIC hardware is defective, or both.
In the boot log screen at system start I see various messages that rush by too fast to read, but towards the end of the boot process, the screen goes black for exactly 1 minute and then comes up in GUI Mode with WiFi. I guess the iD is setup to try wired for up to one minute before going to WiFi.
I tried the reset defaults, no change
I tried latest update (just in case) and although device is brand new, there was an update available which was successfully downloaded and installed. No change.

If I knew how to find logs on the iD I would check them, but I dont know how and I suspect my user account is not allowed to do that anyway.
If this was a windows box, I would be certain it is a hardware or driver error.

I dont know if this is relevant or not:
The ID is not publishingitself normaly on the network. I no longer see it as "ID-xxxxxxx" and cannot browse the media share. JRemote can get to it and remotely control what it is playing, but I cannot copy files to it, or browse the data.

Please advise/help if you can.

If I cannot get this to work I will have to see what my return options are. I had to wait over 2 weeks before it arrived here in Germanyafter shipping from US, I had to pay 100$ Customs on top of the purchase price... and then it does not work properly after a few days use. I am really, really disappointed.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Mike

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 12:10:50 pm »

You'll need to wait for Bob.  He'll answer tomorrow.

The publishing problem is probably the Windows 10 change from about a year ago.  You could try a search for that, both here and on the Internet. It's a well known problem.

We'll take it back for a full refund for 30 days.  If it was delayed in shipping, we can be a little flexible.

Make sure you don't have both wired and wireless checked in the wicd network configuration.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 02:33:35 am »

If you use Wicd to set the Id to use wired and turn off wireless, then reboot, do you not see an IP address when you go back to the Id network configuration?  Make sure wifi is unchecked.

It's a NUC based Id, correct?  Not an IdPi.

It is possible that the network hardware failed, but it's very unlikely.  I don't believe we've seen that before.

It's more likely that something is blocking the connection, or that the network is not correctly configured on the Id.

SSDP (port 1900) should be open in your firewall, but even that wouldn't prevent the Id from getting an IP address.

Duffin

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 04:34:46 am »

Hi Jim
WiFi deactivated and iD rebooted as suggested. No change. No network connection on eth0. Error message as per above.
With WiFi active the WLAN device gets an IP Address no problems, just too slow and Windows publishing issue as above.
I just checked DHCP Server logs, I see no entries for the ETH0 port since Saturday 04.08. Saturday was the last time I had a network connection on the Ethernet port.

Is there a way to halt the start configuration so I can take a picture of the first few lines (where there are for sure error messages flashing by) to send to you?.
I am a Linux-Newbie-knows-absolutely-nothing-about-linux-but-does-have-a-brain
:-)

Mike

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 04:56:11 am »

Let's wait for Bob.  He will be in around 16h00 your time.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 09:22:05 am »

Hi Jim
WiFi deactivated and iD rebooted as suggested. No change. No network connection on eth0. Error message as per above.
With WiFi active the WLAN device gets an IP Address no problems, just too slow and Windows publishing issue as above.
I just checked DHCP Server logs, I see no entries for the ETH0 port since Saturday 04.08. Saturday was the last time I had a network connection on the Ethernet port.

Is there a way to halt the start configuration so I can take a picture of the first few lines (where there are for sure error messages flashing by) to send to you?.
I am a Linux-Newbie-knows-absolutely-nothing-about-linux-but-does-have-a-brain
:-)

Mike
Try function 11 from the main menu and see if eth0 shows up.
If it shows up but doesn't have an IP check your wiring and router carefully. You may try replacing  the ethernet cable or using a different port on the router/switch.

If eth0 doesn't show up, try function 66 (hidden) to reset the interfaces and reboot the Id.

If it still doesn't show up in function 11 then there is something wrong with the ethernet, maybe a power surge or lightning hit took it out.

Duffin

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 09:49:33 am »

Hi Bob, thanks for trying to help me get this sorted out.
Yes, eth0 shows up but with "error fetching interface information: Device not found"
After removing WLAN entries an deactivating WLAN I used menu 66 as requested. System rebooted, no change. Same error message as above
Your suggestions:
iD is standing next to a Mini MAC. Ethernet Cable swap: Mini Mac works fine on the Ids Cable, Id has the same error message after a reboot on the macs cable.
Rebooted the switch, no difference. Temporarily replaced the switch, no difference.
I can use any device I want on the network on any connection I like, all is fine, DHCP is fine, routing is fine all good, only the ID not working irrespective of where I physically connect it. If I activate WLAN on the ID that works fine too, same DHCP Server same Router all good but speed issues and the iD is not publishing itself into the windows network over WLAN.
I have checked that I have nor run out of IP Addresses. I havent, all good.
Also no error messages in DHCP Log.
I tried Static IPs first on the WLAN which worked perfectly, disabled WLAN and removed all entries on the properties page, then entered identical static data on the eth0 interface properties. No change. No connection.
Like I said earlier: error messages in the log whizzing by during the boot process, but too fast to read.
Mike

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 09:58:53 am »

Hi Bob, thanks for trying to help me get this sorted out.
Yes, eth0 shows up but with "error fetching interface information: Device not found"
After removing WLAN entries an deactivating WLAN I used menu 66 as requested. System rebooted, no change. Same error message as above
Your suggestions:
iD is standing next to a Mini MAC. Ethernet Cable swap: Mini Mac works fine on the Ids Cable, Id has the same error message after a reboot on the macs cable.
Rebooted the switch, no difference. Temporarily replaced the switch, no difference.
I can use any device I want on the network on any connection I like, all is fine, DHCP is fine, routing is fine all good, only the ID not working irrespective of where I physically connect it. If I activate WLAN on the ID that works fine too, same DHCP Server same Router all good but speed issues and the iD is not publishing itself into the windows network over WLAN.
I have checked that I have nor run out of IP Addresses. I havent, all good.
Also no error messages in DHCP Log.
I tried Static IPs first on the WLAN which worked perfectly, disabled WLAN and removed all entries on the properties page, then entered identical static data on the eth0 interface properties. No change. No connection.
Like I said earlier: error messages in the log whizzing by during the boot process, but too fast to read.
Mike
Thanks for testing it.
It looks like the ethernet is dead since you are still getting "Device Not Found" after doing a 66.
The only options I can see are returning it or getting a USB/Ethernet adapter.
I'm going to send you a PM (personal message) as well. Please check it.

Bob

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 11:33:21 am »

We've found that the Ethernet hardware is bad.  We're offering to replace the NUC or take it back as a return.

Thanks for your patience and excellent trouble shooting, and apologies for the problem.

Duffin

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 02:15:44 am »

Thanks for the offer to swap the NUC Hardware, happy to accept it. Looking forward to being able to enjoy the iD again soon. Great support from the team, very grateful. Mike

Duffin

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 06:09:58 am »

Jim, Bob, surprise surprise.
I took the ID down last night following our mail exchange above.
I had intended to remove memory and HDD as agreed, but upon a whim I powered it up again this morning before actually doing so.
Eth0 came up immediately and is working apparently normally.
The iD has a new Access Code but otherwise all is good.
Windows Network Access is now also fine. I can access the Files normally and can copy up and down to the iD without issues
I have no idea why. Removing the Id from Power totally?
Mike

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 09:26:50 am »

Jim, Bob, surprise surprise.
I took the ID down last night following our mail exchange above.
I had intended to remove memory and HDD as agreed, but upon a whim I powered it up again this morning before actually doing so.
Eth0 came up immediately and is working apparently normally.
The iD has a new Access Code but otherwise all is good.
Windows [url=http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access][url=http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access]Network Access[/url][/url] is now also fine. I can access the Files normally and can copy up and down to the iD without issues
I have no idea why. Removing the Id from Power totally?
Mike
I'd say that it was removing it from the power supply.
Sounds like there is a bug in the bios, I'd guess it lost track of the ethernet interface on a soft reboot (or perhaps a power glitch).
Wish I'd thought of trying that...

Duffin

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 09:53:33 am »

Hi Bob
Well, certainly everything is behaving normally since yesterday. I just checked the mailchain that I had not missed removing the iD from power in your requests when we were trouble shooting, but I am really sorry too that the idea did not occur to me sooner either.......
I am sorry for all the work you and Jim have had trying to help but also very grateful for your efforts. Thank you very much for all the great support you gave me. It is good to know how competent and helpful the JRiver support team is.
Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up