INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extra unwanted files created by downloading music files to AK100 II from MC  (Read 1071 times)

Blueshound24

• World Citizen

I'm new to DAP's and just got a AK100 II and I am hoping to solve a couple of issues with it.

I have downloaded some music files to the AK via JRiver on my Windows 7 laptop by Options > Handheld > picked playlists, then below the “tree” chose “sync handheld”.

The downloading process has created many extra files that show up in JRiver on my laptop that under "Filenames" are named: http://192.168.0.103:5501/AudioItem/14888.flac, and this shows up for each extra music file row that is created, and also under "Date Imported" it says "Not Imported".

I'm not sure what these were created for and if I don't need them I'd rather delete them instead of having them muck up my library on my laptop.

Then this just came to mind.
About the time I started trying to download music to my AK, I somehow messed up my libraries in JRiver. (JRiver library backups that it saves automatically that save all the tagging, playlists, etc.)

And prior to me trying to download music to my AK, the backups saved onto my computer looked like:
"MC Library Backup (Main Library - 2018-07-04)"
And in the tree in the JRiver program on my computer showed "Playing from Main Library"

Since attempting to download to the AK, my JRiver library backups saved to my computer now look like:
"MC Library Backup (AK100_II - 2018-07-20)"
And the tree in the JRiver program on my computer now shows "Playing from AK100_II"

I wonder if this has something to do with the extra files that appeared in my JRiver program on my computer that look like:
http://192.168.0.103:5501/AudioItem/14888.flac ?

There are still copies of each type of library backup, "MC Library Backup (Main Library - 2018-07-04)" AND "MC Library Backup (AK100_II - 2018-07-20)".
I can go back in and restore the "Main Library" backup if I need to?

I’d like to know why these extra files were created on my laptop and how to set it so they are not created in the first place? I wonder if it is a setting in Astell & Kern or JRiver on my laptop and if I really need them?
Desk Top:
JRiver 25 > Industrial Intona Hi Speed Isolator > UpTone Audio USB Regen > PS Audio Perfect Wave II 2.4.3 > Parasound Halo > KEF LS50 + HSU STF-1 sub x 2
~ or ~ Questyle CMA600i/Icon Audio HP8 MKII/Lyr >  HD800s/Elear/AHD7000/LCD2.2f/HD650/HD700/u18t/Roxanne

Dedicated Room:
Sony SACD 777ES > First Sound Presence Deluxe Mk II > Plinius SA100 MkIII > Von Schweikert Audio VR5

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Your previous thread had lots of info: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,116702.0.html

Did you work through my last post: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,116702.msg807014.html#msg807014

The new library name and backup name imply you have created a new JRiver library on the AK100_II somehow. That would be possible, if you created a new library and pointed the location of that library to be on the AK100 II. If so, you need to switch back to the Main Library and delete the library named "AK100_II".
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Blueshound24

• World Citizen

Your previous thread had lots of info: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,116702.0.html

Did you work through my last post: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,116702.msg807014.html#msg807014

The new library name and backup name imply you have created a new JRiver library on the AK100_II somehow. That would be possible, if you created a new library and pointed the location of that library to be on the AK100 II. If so, you need to switch back to the Main Library and delete the library named "AK100_II".
Windows has a bunch of defined of defined folders such as Video, Pictures, Documents, and Music. This is where Windows looks for files of those types. It looks like at some stage you have moved the Music folder (known as the "System Music folder") from the default "C:\Users\Steve\Music\" to "D:\Music\". That is fine, although I don't do that because I don't want the files MC manages to be interfered with by Windows. I've never particularly liked the Windows implementation of System folders, because strange audio files could end up in the System Music folder, and then MC would import them in your setup. But that is beside the point here.
The reason I have D:\Music is because I had a tech put a small SSD drive, (240GB SSD), on my laptop for the O.S. (C:)
 And a large HDD, (2TB HDD), for music files, video, documents, etc. Data (D:)
I think by default the "JRiver Conversion Cache" folder is also put under the System Music folder, even if you have selected "Custom", but then haven't changed the target folder. So back when you where converting files to MP3s and loading them onto the SanDisk Clip, copies of the MP3s were being left in the Conversion Cache, and MC was then importing them, because you have Auto Import set up to import all files in "D:\Music\" and its subfolders. The problem here is that your System Music folder, and the Music folder that MC manages, are one and the same folder. I guess lots of people do that, but they must move the Conversion Cache folder. I have seen comments about people having to do that when using the Handheld Sync or MC Conversion functionality. If you hadn't changed your System Music folder to "D:\Music\" then the Conversion Cache would have stayed at "C:\Users\Steve\Music\JRiver Conversion Cache\" and you wouldn't have seem this problem.

Something a little different is happening now, because you aren't converting the FLAC files, but are just loading them onto the AK100 as they are. But it seems that the Handheld Sync function is still leaving something in the Conversion Cache anyway, namely files in the format "http://192.168.0.109:4404/AudioItem/8392.flac". Mind you, I turned on the Conversion Cache on my MC installation and ran a Sync of FLAC files in Original format to my Sony XZ Premium, and no files of this type were created in the Conversion Cache. So there may still be something else going on, such as Sync Options. But it could just be because of the different device types. Let's see how we go with the stuff below.

Just to check on this theory, click on "Custom Folder" under the "Options > File Location > Conversion Cache > Audio" and see what it points to. I expect it will be pointing to "D:\Music\JRiver Conversion Cache\".

Then have a look in that folder using Windows Explorer. Are there files in there in the format "http://192.168.0.109:4404/AudioItem/8392.flac"?
It's been awhile since I deleted everything in the Conversion Cache, but I don't think there were any "http://192.168.0.109:4404/AudioItem/8392.flac" files there.
If so, there are a couple of easy fixes, and one other.
1. As you aren't converting the FLAC files, select "None" as the Audio Conversion Cache. Any files that MC creates as part of the process should then be created in the Temp directory, and then deleted. MC won't try to import them even if they aren't immediately deleted.
I have selected “None”. At this time not interested in creating any Conversion files.
2. If you may convert audio files in future, perhaps to load to a different device, change the Conversion Cache setting to something that isn't under the "D:\Music\" folder, perhaps "D:\JRiver Conversion Cache\". That way any future cached files won't be imported into MC.

3. Another option would be to set your Windows System Music folder back to "C:\Users\Steve\Music\" and set the Conversion Cache back to "C:\Users\Steve\Music\JRiver Conversion Cache\", which is the default. Then leave all your music in "D:\Music\" for MC to manage. But that is your choice and I'll leave you to work out how to do that if you wish. NOTE:I suspect that if you try to change you System Music folder back to "C:\Users\Steve\Music\", Windows may try to move all your music back there as well. Only try this if you have researched how, and do it very carefully.

Using a Conversion Cache is a good idea if you are actually converting format as you sync a handheld device, and often change the playlists selected for sync but have overlap in the files referenced. It saves time by using the cached converted files instead of re-converting them every time. I don't convert so I don't use a cache myself.
Yes, clumsy me. No idea how that happened, and I will restore the "MC Library Backup (Main Library - 2018-07-04)" backup and delete the "MC Library Backup (AK100_II - 2018-07-20)" backup.

Maybe that will stop the http://192.168.0.103:5501/AudioItem/14888.flac files from being created?
Desk Top:
JRiver 25 > Industrial Intona Hi Speed Isolator > UpTone Audio USB Regen > PS Audio Perfect Wave II 2.4.3 > Parasound Halo > KEF LS50 + HSU STF-1 sub x 2
~ or ~ Questyle CMA600i/Icon Audio HP8 MKII/Lyr >  HD800s/Elear/AHD7000/LCD2.2f/HD650/HD700/u18t/Roxanne

Dedicated Room:
Sony SACD 777ES > First Sound Presence Deluxe Mk II > Plinius SA100 MkIII > Von Schweikert Audio VR5

tyler69

That "extra" files might be caused by Panel. It saves those files when you play Radio I think.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen

That "extra" files might be caused by Panel. It saves those files when you play Radio I think.

Not sure what Panel or Radio would have to do with files created by downloading music files to a DAP.
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

Blueshound24

• World Citizen

I think I know the answer to this tagging question.  :'(

Since 7/4/18 when I inadvertently somehow created it, I have been using and tagging, making playlists, etc. on "MC Library Backup (AK100_II - 2018-07-20)".

So, when I restore "MC Library Backup (Main Library - 2018-07-04)" is there no way to keep, (on the newly restored Main Library), all the tagging, etc  that I have done since 7/4/18?
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

tyler69

Not sure what Panel or Radio would have to do with files created by downloading music files to a DAP.

Me neither:
I've just discovered, that while I streamed through Panel (Radio JRiver?) -although Streaming is off in MC- some links have been added to my library. They reference some flac/ape files with http/https links. I am not sure this should be like this when the streaming feature is deactivated, no?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

It was a bug, now fixed I believe, that added streaming files to the library.  You could search for them and delete them.  Back up your library first.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen

It was a bug, now fixed I believe, that added streaming files to the library.  You could search for them and delete them.  Back up your library first.

@tyler69
I've just discovered, that while I streamed through Panel (Radio JRiver?) -although Streaming is off in MC- some links have been added to my library. They reference some flac/ape files with http/https links. I am not sure this should be like this when the streaming feature is deactivated, no?

1. Are you saying that these files "http://192.168.0.109:4404/AudioItem/8392.flac" were added streaming files from Radio? I don't even know much about it and have never used it. Would that have happened if I have never used Radio?

2. They were not some kind of cache from downloading songs to my DAP?

3. When I restore "MC Library Backup (Main Library - 2018-07-04)" is there no way to keep, (on the newly restored Main Library), all the tagging, etc  that I have done on "MC Library Backup (AK100_II - 2018-07-20)" since 7/4/18?
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

swiv3d

If the tags have been saved in the audio files, and the files on the AK are of the same quality as those on your main computer, you could export the AK files to your main computer - choosing to overwrite the ones already there and then update the main library from the file's tags. Might be safer to move the files from the AK to a new folder and then try importing a few to see if you can update the library tags for them. If it works you can import the rest and delete all of the duplicates.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

If the tags have been saved in the audio files, and the files on the AK are of the same quality as those on your main computer, you could export the AK files to your main computer - choosing to overwrite the ones already there and then update the main library from the file's tags. Might be safer to move the files from the AK to a new folder and then try importing a few to see if you can update the library tags for them. If it works you can import the rest and delete all of the duplicates.

I wouldn't do that. You will end up with duplicates and a mess.

Just restore the AK100_II library, then run "Update tag from library". That should save all your tag edits into the files, or if necessary, into the sidecar files MC uses. If these are all audio files that accept tags (i.e. FLAC), this should be no issue. Assuming you have default tagging settings. This may not even be necessary if the tags have already been saved to the files, but this will make sure they are.

Then restore the Main Library, and run "Update Library from tags". All your edits should now be in your Main Library.

This is only a brief answer to how to do this. Naturally, you will need to select the affected files, or all files, before doing the above. I'm not going to cover all the tagging settings or explain how it all works. If you don't understand, I suggest you start reading the Wiki.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

swiv3d

I wouldn't do that. You will end up with duplicates and a mess.

Just restore the AK100_II library, then run "Update tag from library". That should save all your tag edits into the files, or if necessary, into the sidecar files MC uses. If these are all audio files that accept tags (i.e. FLAC), this should be no issue. Assuming you have default tagging settings. This may not even be necessary if the tags have already been saved to the files, but this will make sure they are.

Then restore the Main Library, and run "Update Library from tags". All your edits should now be in your Main Library.

This is only a brief answer to how to do this. Naturally, you will need to select the affected files, or all files, before doing the above. I'm not going to cover all the tagging settings or explain how it all works. If you don't understand, I suggest you start reading the Wiki.
Don't think that MC will update library tags from a different library since only one library can be open at a time. I might be wrong, I often am.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Well, I actually wasn't suggesting that two libraries be open at once.

But you are sort of correct. If the AK100_II points to the files on the AK100_II, rather than the files on the PC, and the Main Library points to files on the PC, then my suggestion won't work. My bad.

Your use of the term "export" had me concerned. If the files on the AK100_II are identical to the files on the PC, and they have the tag updates in them, then I would just copy the files back from the AK100_II to the PC, into the correct locations. But I would probably only want to do that for files I had actually tagged, and I would want to make backups of the PC first, in case I got it wrong.

Basically, it's messy.

There is also the option to copy tags between files, which I believe copies all tags. Just select the source file, Ctrl-C, select the target file, Ctrl-V, and all tags from the source are copied to the target. I think that works for multiple files as well, for example all tracks in an Album, if the sequence and quantity of files are the same. But of course both the source and target files would need to be imported into MC first, and hence, duplicates. Messy.

A search of the forum for "Copy Tags" finds some discussion on the topic. i.e. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107116.msg743944.html#msg743944

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Actually thinking about it some more...

You can open two instances of MC if you set the flag in Options > General > Advanced > Allow multiple instances to run at one time.

So what you could do, assuming that the AK100_II library points to files on the AK100_II and has the tag updates, is.

Open MC to the Main Library.
Set the flag mentioned above. (Note that this flag gets reset to the default of unchecked once Mc is closed, so opening a second copy of MC only works once.)
Open a second copy of MC. If the Main Library is the default you will get a warning that it will be opened in Read-Only mode since it is already opened.
Change to the AK100_II library in the second instance of MC.
Use Views, searches, whatever to find the files that were updated in the MK100_II library.
Produce the same Views, searches, whatever in the Main Library.
In the MK100_II library, select the list of files that need updating, and press Ctrl-C.
In the Main Library, select the same list of files that need updating, and press Ctrl-V.

Theoretically, the files in the Main Library should now be updated with the tag changes. Test with one, then a few, then do them all.

Disclaimer: I haven't checked if this works as expected. I accept no responsibility for lost or damaged data or files, or for completely messing up your library!  ;)

Blueshound24

• World Citizen

Playing from AK100_II is just my music files on my PC, same as it was when it was playing from Main Library.
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Playing from AK100_II is just my music files on my PC, same as it was when it was playing from Main Library.

Well in that case this method should work fine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up