INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Library- No Sound from DTS track  (Read 633 times)

paruggeri

• Recent member
Video Library- No Sound from DTS track
« on: August 09, 2018, 10:48:20 pm »

Hello All,

I have searched the forums for an answer, but I was hoping for more clarification. I have started to build my Blu-Ray/DVD Library on JRiver.  My setup includes the following:

Sony KDL47W802a
Apple TV (3rd Generation)
Denon AVR4802R
Asus Laptop (I5, 16GB Ram, Intel HD 620 Graphics card)
Brosoft Blu- Ray Ripper
AnyDVD HD

All video files are burned in .MKV format. Sony Bravia TV's are unable to play .MKV files. I can stream the movies through AirPlay on Apple TV and it works around that issue. I am trying to understand why when I play recordings with a DTS Soundtrack (ex. Santana Supernatural Live) there is no sound. However, if I switch to 2 Channel, 5 Channel Stereo, DTS Neo 6,etc. the sound comes on and everything works great. The Denon piece decodes pretty much everything besides the newer sound formats. I should note that when I burned the disc, I selected the DTS soundtrack in audio options. If I burn the same files in .MP4 (which Sony can understand) would that solve the issue?  I have an optical cable running from my Sony TV to the receiver. I would rather not redo everyting in .MP4. How can I get the sound to work while still using the .MKV file?  I am considering purchasing an external DAC as a side note, once the receiver is upgraded (coming soon).

Thanks in advance for your help! I don't want to waste money on solutions that do not work. Please let me know if you need further information.

Thanks!

Pete

Marcellus

• Recent member
Re: Video Library- No Sound from DTS track
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 07:04:31 am »

Why not try optical cable straight into your receiver? Send video over HDMI. Could work. Have no idea if Apple support this but most hardware does. -> I ment for you to connect optical cable from AppleTV to Denon.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Video Library- No Sound from DTS track
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 05:37:17 pm »

Also note that according to Sony your TV can play MKV files, with DTS Core audio, and a bunch of other formats. https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kdl-47w802a

Of course, it depends on what video format is inside those MKV files, as MKV is just a container, not a format.

As 2 Channel, 5 Channel Stereo, DTS Neo 6 all work, and all are 2 channel input formats, it sounds like something can't or isn't handling the 5.1 channels in DTS. But I don't really understand how you have everything connected up. It sounds like you are sending the video and audio via Airplay to the TV, and then sending the audio back to the receiver via the Audio Return Channel (DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL). That is a lot of pieces in the chain, and each might be causing the issue. In fact I wouldn't be surprised in the TV is set to output 2 channel audio via the ARC, and then the Denon receiver is able to play those in 2 Channel, 5 Channel Stereo, DTS Neo 6. There may be a setting in the TV to pass DTS 5.1 back to the receiver.

As an optical cable can handle the 5.1 channels in an encoded DTS signal, connecting from the laptop directly to the receiver using an optical cable would make sense.

But you might want to check what is actually in the MKV files you are creating using MediaInfo, as Brorsoft doesn't list DTS or DTS Core, only listing "DTS (remux)" in its output formats, which could mean anything. See http://www.brorsoft.cn/blu-ray-ripper/reference.html

Can't AnyDVD HD rip the Blu-rays for you, rather than using Brorsoft? I use DVDfab and it certainly can rip Blu-rays. Unless you are using Brorsoft to selectively save specific audio tracks and convert to specific video formats, and to burn the result to a disc. I just rip the whole Blu-ray structure and use that, but I have disk space for that, and I guess your laptop doesn't.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up