INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Car'puter - ?  (Read 2487 times)

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
Audio Car'puter - ?
« on: June 04, 2003, 07:24:30 pm »

Well my Euro vehicle (in storage probably for sale <SOB> ) was all Alpine'd up with Navi / DVD etc and so while I thought about trying to output a TV signal into one of the spare TV inputs, it was mainly a thought exersize in the benefits of a PC system like...

Having 802.11 in the garage would be able to hold large MP3 collections in the car.
How to wire into mobile handset harness for mobile fax / data exchange / etc.
Gaming / Emulation Games (c'mon who would not think MAME in the car is kick ASS).

Now out here on the Island I have left the rat race and status symbol lifestyle behind (though you can prize my Roly from my cold dead wrist  ) but was just in the market to find a cheap CD player for a noisy jeep I have bought...

In a box of cables and bits I have just found a Toshiba libretto... This little 233Mhz 64MB Ram 4GB was a great tool for a couple of years and I have had more than my deserved mileage from it... However the idea of not spending money on a CD player but fitting a TV touchscreen really appeals much more than spending it on a substandard CD player.

I am thinking of using the basic audio out (I need to have a listen for quality but this is in an open top Wrangler type Jeep) to a car amp and then speakers. The only issue would be command and control as I am NOT going to be happy with opening the glove box or similar and messing with the libretto (whose worst feature was its mouse).

Anyone have any clues on a small touchscreen that can be easily mounted in a vehicle ?? Needs to be cheap but does not need be high rez (svga) etc. I was thinking 98Lite or even XP embedded (if I can get it legally without vast expense) if thats possible...

I would then run Glissando on MC.

Other issues would be controlling shutdown and startup... I am thinking of playing around with suspend resume but any suggestions on something that would sense power drop and provide a captureable signal (serial / Girder ?? any other) that could be used this way would be cool...

Anyone done anything like this ??
Any clues on a screen solution ??
Any clues on the command control solution ??
Any clues on the hibernate resume solution ??

Even just links or alternative forums would be helpful.
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
Re: Audio Car'puter - ?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 08:22:10 pm »

I used to think about putting a computer into my car for music... even started putting a system together.  Then the iPod came out.  I got one and haven't even considered building a computer for my car since.  

It's just so much easier to use the iPod.  And when I want new music, I just put it in my pocket and bring it inside.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2003, 08:53:04 pm »

Yeah thats an option but... I already have mobile listening covered...

I already have the libretto and 802.11 card so getting audio on and off it from my media server in the house is a non issue (plus 4GB of car quality MP3's is a bunch)..

Also navigating the thing (IPod) is still very limited... I am keen on the idea of a screen in the jeep at the prices I see them at ($119 for a 5.6 inch one at the old Lik Sang site)...

I am thinking I could even build a GUI as MusicLobby was released today (will be a combination of Glissando like features and MainLobby customisation... WoHoo)...

Just need to find a <$200 small touchscreen TFT that supports VGA input...
HTPC Front ends  

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
HTPC Front ends  

kiwi

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 09:57:18 pm »

Have you checked out  this site?
http://www.earthlcd.com/

Actually, a 5-7 inch touch screen could be a nice interface for lots of different things.

kiwi

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2003, 10:02:59 pm »

The only question is finding one with regular VGA input.  Lots seem to need special drivers.

kiwi

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2003, 10:07:20 pm »

I found this... http://www.earthlcd.com/SK-1009T.htm

one interesting comment from the page:
Can I use this in my Car? NO. Unless you don't want video and your car is going to be inside for show use only. This screen is about 80 nits and we recommend at least 200 nits for car use because of the high ambient light (sunlight!)

Which is a good point.  You'll want to make sure the display is bright enough.  And that it has an easy brightness adjustment... for night time.

-kiwi

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2003, 10:28:30 pm »

I have actually found a whole buch of really cool stuff...

Firstly... This touchscreen LCD unit that runs at 800x480 (which is the same as the standard libretto rez) http://www.xenarc.com/product/700ts.html

Problem is 550 is the best price but then it is the perfect monitor...

Secondly check out http://www.mediaengine.org/index.php open source carputer system...

I am tempted to spring for the Xenarc there and just have a bomb ass setup but I am researching some links that I may be able to retrofit a touchscreen onto the libretto for <50... I would of course need to hack the libretto apart and mount the LCD behind the dash but hey... Thats half the fun !!! And the price is right :)
HTPC Front ends  

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2003, 11:31:33 pm »

I have now found he Xenarc touchscreen VGA can be bought new for $400... also a second hand one for around 300...

Looks like I will be giving this a go :) !!!

Now does anyone know how I can leggaly get a copy of XP embedded ?? The instant on feature and small footprint would be slick...  
HTPC Front ends  

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2003, 04:20:35 am »

Try looking at the following site.  I am not sure how much it gets updated, but I know they have a whole lot of people that have posted about their carputers, and they have a forum page that may help you out as well.

http://www.mp3car.com

drew

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2003, 04:32:11 am »

Found that site this AM and almost certainly going to go with one of thos Xenarc / Gain Touchscreens...

Will first play around with the libretto (that needs a new battery anyway) and get it doing things like suspending as soon as the car is turned off and resuming as it is restarted...

Once a couple of tests have been made for usability like that I will consider buying the screen and probably fitting a larger HD to the libretto so it can hold a lot of music but slowlyon the spending $$
HTPC Front ends  

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2003, 04:37:19 am »

I don't know anything about XP Embedded, but my system resumes in about 10 seconds (I think, it's been a while since I checked). It's XP Pro SP1 with a few services shut off and a Duron 1,2, 128 meg SDRAM (as little RAM as possible since it cuts down on resume time). Full boot takes about 40 seconds, if I remember correctly. The only annoying ting is that I have to set Girder to stop playback when I go into hibernation and restart playback on resume since MC gets stuck and won't play with my SBlive! Cards. It did with the built in sound card (AC97 compatible) but not with these cards. Annoying!
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2003, 04:55:26 am »

The libretto is 233 / 64 etc specs... XP itself and MC would be a strain...

I am really impressed with the results people are getting with with the Gain / Xenarc screens and mediaengine car playback SW...

As I have the chance of doing this minus the screen at no cost I will trial and if I can make it slick spend the money on the touchscreen...

Maybee later I will put a 'real' computer in there (can you say MAME !!!) but for now this will work and cost little..
HTPC Front ends  

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2003, 06:11:58 am »

A valid point. But I must say that since I had most parts laying around, I only had to buy the mobo and CPU with cooler and that set me back only about 100 USD, which is pretty cheap in my book.  ;D
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system
Pages: [1]   Go Up