INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback via MSB Renderer Mk 2 (especially DSD)  (Read 958 times)

gtandzi

• Recent member
Playback via MSB Renderer Mk 2 (especially DSD)
« on: August 15, 2018, 09:47:42 pm »

Yesterday I installed the new(ish) MSB Renderer Mk 2 in my MSB Reference DAC. Up until now I've been using the Quad USB input, using either JRiver, the Tidal app, or Roon as a source from a Windows Server 2012 custom built PC. All the non-streamed music comes from a Synology NAS. I'd like to continue using JRiver as my primary source because, despite all the extra meta-data with Roon, I've grown accustomed to the face of JRiver, plus to my ears the SQ was marginally better. So I was hoping that I could continue to use JRiver to drive the Renderer.

But I'm finding that although JRiver 'sees' the Renderer (it appears in the list under 'Playing Now'), and will alow me to play any flac file - either from the database, or playlists - up to and including 24/352, but won't let me play dsd files at all. And the program becomes very buggy while playing through the Renderer - mouse stops and starts for instance.

I'll keep 'playing', but any suggestions gratefully received!

gtandzi

• Recent member
Re: Playback via MSB Renderer Mk 2 (especially DSD) - SOLVED
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 10:15:19 pm »

Embarassingly, it was because the DLNA server was set to convert files (or rather, as I've never touched these settings until now, the default settings converted the formats - to mp3!!), and once I turned all that off - Hey Presto!

Hope my resolved ignorance is useful to someone else!!

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playback via MSB Renderer Mk 2 (especially DSD) - SOLVED
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 02:30:27 am »

the DLNA server was set to convert files.... (the default settings converted the formats - to mp3!!)

Yeah, not a good default for Audio fidelity, but it will work everywhere  :)

A better solution would be some form of popup when enabled for the first time. . . " I see you've enabled the Media Network (DNLA), please take a moment to review the settings as the default options are chosen for compatibility and may not be the best choice for your system. Link to video on setting up Media Network (DNLA)' (or at least a web page with step by step screen shots and explanation).

I wonder how many people are down converting to MP3 and are completely unaware of it . . .   :'( Check your setting now folks!

Tools | Options | Media Network Client Options | Audio Conversion

Spike
Pages: [1]   Go Up