INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu Ray Menu support  (Read 1532 times)

Smithers

• Recent member
Blu Ray Menu support
« on: August 22, 2018, 11:44:24 am »

I can't see anywhere in J River MC 24 that has this option.

Settings -> Video -> Play Blu-ray discs using Menus

There is only Tools -> Options -> Video but doesn't mention anything about blu ray in the options.

Surely this option isn't limited to the windows version only?!

Thanks,

Will

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Blu Ray Menu support
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 12:47:19 pm »

Blu-ray menu support is indeed only available on Windows at this time.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Smithers

• Recent member
Re: Blu Ray Menu support (for Mac)
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 05:48:37 am »

Is there any update on fixing this?!

When MC 24 was advertised last year it did not specify that it would only be available on the Windows version...

Thanks

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 08:43:25 am »

Are you able to play your bluray content on MC for Mac at all right now?  I ask because bluray menu support implies that you have bluray ISOs that you want to use, or that you want to play bluray discs directly.  MC for Mac does not support disc playback of any kind right now.

As for ISO support, I don't think you can do much with a bluray or DVD iso, as MC doesn't seem to recognize them at all.  Most importantly, MC for Mac has no way to interact with any video source that is encrypted with DRM.  This means that pretty much any commercial DVD or BluRay video file is not playable on MC for Mac.

On Windows, MC relies upon 3rd party tools and programs that dynamically decode the encrypted (DRM) content from these discs or ISOs and let MC play the unencrypted versions.

On Mac, MC is happy to play unencrypted files that came from DVDs or BluRays though.  I have used MakeMKV on hundreds of DVDs and BluRays to produce unencrypted, (no DRM) clear video files, at perfect quality, and MC plays them back without issue.

There are, of course, no menus when you rip individual video files (titles) from DVD or BluRay, but I think that's mostly a positive thing!  No more waiting on menus.  No more navigation hell.  Just straight to my video and it immediately plays.  The only real down side is that it makes handling special features, and alternate versions more difficult.  But I'm not really big into those things.  They are neat I guess, but I don't really care much about them.  I'm mostly interested in the movie (or TV show) on the disc.

Just some thoughts.

Brian.

Smithers

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 10:47:49 am »

Are you able to play your bluray content on MC for Mac at all right now?  I ask because bluray menu support implies that you have bluray ISOs that you want to use, or that you want to play bluray discs directly.  MC for Mac does not support disc playback of any kind right now.

As for ISO support, I don't think you can do much with a bluray or DVD iso, as MC doesn't seem to recognize them at all.  Most importantly, MC for Mac has no way to interact with any video source that is encrypted with DRM.  This means that pretty much any commercial DVD or BluRay video file is not playable on MC for Mac.

On Windows, MC relies upon 3rd party tools and programs that dynamically decode the encrypted (DRM) content from these discs or ISOs and let MC play the unencrypted versions.

On Mac, MC is happy to play unencrypted files that came from DVDs or BluRays though.  I have used MakeMKV on hundreds of DVDs and BluRays to produce unencrypted, (no DRM) clear video files, at perfect quality, and MC plays them back without issue.

There are, of course, no menus when you rip individual video files (titles) from DVD or BluRay, but I think that's mostly a positive thing!  No more waiting on menus.  No more navigation hell.  Just straight to my video and it immediately plays.  The only real down side is that it makes handling special features, and alternate versions more difficult.  But I'm not really big into those things.  They are neat I guess, but I don't really care much about them.  I'm mostly interested in the movie (or TV show) on the disc.

Just some thoughts.

Brian.

Thanks Brian,

Yes I am able to import the Blu Ray files (MakeMKV rips of the entire disc) and they show up in the video section of MC. But they can be a bit haphazard as a list... So I was hoping the Blu Ray menu feature would compile it into one icon that I could click on and play like a movie/album. I'm using DLNA so I'm just using JRiver to control the feed from my NAS to my Blu Ray player/AVR.

To be honest I'm actually only interested in a few Blu ray audio titles with Dolby Atmos. I can sort of get it to work but having the menu section would make it a very nice compact solution... And I could play the album properly/select tracks as if I was actually using a blu ray without any complicated mechanics!

Cheers all the same, ultimately it's not a biggy it would just be nice to have...

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 10:59:17 am »

Blu-ray Menus only work locally, not over DLNA either way. And unfortunately we don't currently have plans to expand that to other platforms.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up