INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video playback issue  (Read 918 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Video playback issue
« on: August 24, 2018, 09:35:44 pm »

A whole bunch of video files that played last week, are not playing now. They exist on the drive, with the correct path and name. I get the same problem if I try to play them in MC by clicking on the file in windows explorer. MPC-BE played the files. In MC, playback doesn't start. Instead, in playing now the file in question is duplicated tens of times and then nothing happens. It may be a coincidence, but the files that do not work are all HEVC or MVC (3D mkv).
I did have LAV filters installed outside of MC, but these were removed. At first I thought it might be the LAV installation that was messing up video settings within MC. MC has been completely reinstalled from scratch, but the issue persists (build 46 and 47).
Here's a crude, shaky video of what is going on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYvS8JylSJ0

The video is going via HDMI into a Datasat RS20i, and then to a 4K projector.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Video playback issue
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 09:51:36 pm »

It looks like it is failing to play the file and is then trying to play the next one, etc etc but the log will tell.  Reset the log, play one title, get current log and post it and then we will see what is up.
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 10:09:38 pm »

It looks like it is failing to play the file and is then trying to play the next one, etc etc but the log will tell.  Reset the log, play one title, get current log and post it and then we will see what is up.

Thanks jmone. In actual fact, in Playing Now, the same file keeps getting added to the list after playback fails. Great idea about the log, and I should've thought of it too. The machine was in a client's home and the video was taken of a Splashtop SOS support session. I was excited to show him that the 7700K integrated graphics was capable of playing 4K UHD with MadVR IF, and only if, I was not connected doing a support session in Splashtop with him. I finally figured that out today. Alas I never got that far. It may be a few days before I can get a log posted. Cheers.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 09:12:28 pm »

I finally got access to this system again. Attaching the log. The error in question happens when I try to play: Maze Runner_ The Death Cure.mkv
The mkv rip of Rampage works fine.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 02:22:33 am »

The user seems to be clicking the file inside MC, yet the log indicates that its receiving a Play command externally through the MC24.exe launcher - repeatedly.
It makes no sense to me how MC itself could trigger its own Launcher? Unless the Playback Method in Options -> File Types was changed to External Program for some types?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 03:00:17 pm »

Thanks, Hendrik.
At one point, when playing with settings to achieve 4K HDR playback smoothly at 23 fps, I had configured MC to launch mkvs in MPC-BC. I did revert back to MC's "Automatic", however. And now that we have presets, I think the original issue of smooth playback is moot. Interestingly, mkv rips made since I reverted back to "Automatic" play fine e.g. Rampage, which appears earlier in the log. It's almost like some tag got written to those files in the library before a certain timepoint, and now those files always display this errant behaviour.
It's a small, simple library. I think I'll delete the sidecar files, uninstall MC, including registry entries and library files, and then start again.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 12:37:12 pm »

An update on this.

No matter what I did, the same issue would occur - including removing MC and reinstalling (but keeping library files). In the end I had to remove the library files too, and set up from scratch. Not a big deal, because everything was reimported just fine within an augenblick.

The new MadVR presets work great - with just a tiny bit of tweaking. Thanks!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 12:54:32 pm »

There is nothing in the logs to tell us why this is happening, either the configuration of the file types is screwed up in the library settings or I don't know what. I don't think this can even be a tag that redirects the playback engine like that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 02:28:07 pm »

There is nothing in the logs to tell us why this is happening, either the configuration of the file types is screwed up in the library settings or I don't know what. I don't think this can even be a tag that redirects the playback engine like that.

Yes, I was totally perplexed too. It seemed to only affect files that were imported before a certain date, even though they were simple mkv files ripped from discs, just like the later ones. MC was set to automatically play mkv files and the association was intact too. Most peculiar.
Pages: [1]   Go Up