INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Warning watching new video  (Read 2371 times)

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
Warning watching new video
« on: August 27, 2018, 04:00:57 pm »

I just started to run a film as I was checking your new fix and about 5mins in it stopped and a new warning box came up stating something like, You can not play films that are ripped etc etc, buy a proper copy etc etc" I have the original copy and it plays fine normally on JR!

I closed out of it and didnt take a screen shot to show you, but something is wrong here...
Ive just started it again.
Can you comment please?

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Warning watching new video
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 04:33:29 pm »

you gots yourself a little troll there
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

murray

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 04:37:32 pm »

you gots yourself a little troll there
I dont understand, what do I do?
I dont use the internet or anything on this PC, its dedicated esspecially to my HT.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 04:53:10 pm »

I dont understand, what do I do?
I dont use the internet or anything on this PC, its dedicated esspecially to my HT.
This seems unrelated.

Are you trying to play a movie that requires an additional component that's not part of JRiver?
What is the format of the video?

I just re-enabled attachments in the forum. Please attach a picture.

murray

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 05:04:32 pm »

This seems unrelated.

Are you trying to play a movie that requires an additional component that's not part of JRiver?
What is the format of the video?

I just re-enabled attachments in the forum. Please attach a picture.
Its a mkv rip of a film I have played many times, not trying to use any additional components to JR. I cant show you a screen shot as it hasnt happened again, just the once and the film stopped after 5 mins. However how or why I noticed the firwall was turned ON, this i always have turned OFF as I know you state its best off. Could that have had anything to do with it?

Again Im not sure how or why the firwall was ON as its never been on....
I do from time to time have power cuts, could that cause the firwall to come on?
As I only use this PC for the HT, should anything else be turned off besides the firewall?

Thanks for your help...

swiv3d

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 05:13:58 pm »

Correctly configured firewall and antivirus software is pretty essential for any computer connecting to the internet - as your's obviously does since you were complaining about receiving warning pop-ups earlier on in your posts.

murray

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 05:16:48 pm »

Correctly configured firewall and antivirus software is pretty essential for any computer connecting to the internet - as your's obviously does since you were complaining about receiving warning pop-ups earlier on in your posts.
That warning pop up was a fault at JR end, they said that and have fixed it. JR guys have always mentioned to have the firewall turned off or one can get issues with JR functions.

swiv3d

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 05:21:19 pm »

The warning pop-up was the result of your computer connecting over the internet to the jriver site - the 'JR guys' often suggest turning off the firewall or antivirus software to test if that is what is causing a problem- but you should always use a correctly configured firewall and correctly configured antivirus software on any machine connecting over the internet.

murray

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 05:23:48 pm »

The warning pop-up was the result of your computer connecting over the internet to the jriver site - the 'JR guys' often suggest turning off the firewall or antivirus software to test if that is what is causing a problem- but you should always use a correctly configured firewall and correctly configured antivirus software on any machine connecting over the internet.
Ok Im sorry i must have it wrong then. How do i get those correctly configured settings since I now have them all turned off?
Should Windows defender be turned on or off?

swiv3d

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 05:46:10 pm »

Ok Im sorry i must have it wrong then. How do i get those correctly configured settings since I now have them all turned off?
Should Windows defender be turned on or off?
If you go to settings in windows 10 > Update and security > Firewall and network security - make sure notifications is turned on - then start the firewall. If an app tries to link to the internet you will get a warning popup and you can decide whether to let it through - just make sure you let mediacenter 24 access the web.
You can probably do the same with windows defender but I personally have never used it so I can't advise you on that.

EDIT: Getting an odd message when your firewall is on might indicate that your computer is compromised. I would run an AV check just to make sure nothing is wrong.

murray

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 06:23:30 pm »

If you go to settings in windows 10 > Update and security > Firewall and network security - make sure notifications is turned on - then start the firewall. If an app tries to link to the internet you will get a warning popup and you can decide whether to let it through - just make sure you let mediacenter 24 access the web.
You can probably do the same with windows defender but I personally have never used it so I can't advise you on that.

EDIT: Getting an odd message when your firewall is on might indicate that your computer is compromised. I would run an AV check just to make sure nothing is wrong.
Thanks for that, I turned the firwall back on and ran that film again, after about 5mins this message came up, after a minute the film started again. There is no disc inserted, its a rip to mkv that i made a week ago to a BD film I bought from Amazon. BTW I have one update sitting there from windows 10, should i allow these? I just dont want my JR to go strange when its been working so well for years... I dont usually allow the updates incase it stuffs up JR.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 06:26:09 pm »

Thats not a message Media Center generates. If its a ripped Blu-ray disc, its probably a bad rip, and the tool you ripped it with didn't properly avoid all copy protections.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

swiv3d

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 06:28:16 pm »

I would turn windows defender on and run an antivirus sweep of your computer. The fact that it suggesting you go to a website is very suspicious. Always allow windows updates - I have never suffered any problems.

murray

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 06:29:32 pm »

I would turn windows defender on and run an antivirus sweep of your computer.
ok thanks for all your help i really appriciate it! I will do that, again many thanks.

swiv3d

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 06:47:19 pm »

Ok checked out lionsgate.com and they are for real so I would go with Hendrik's post that your ripping software didn't do a decent job.

murray

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 06:53:23 pm »

Ok checked out lionsgate.com and they are for real so I would go with Hendrik's post that your ripping software didn't do a decent job.
Ok I have deleted it and will do another rip. Im trying to turn on Windows defender but all the controls are greyed out on OFF, so i cant even turn it on to do a scan ?

I have a new Windows 10 update sitting there, I dont allow them to happen automatically for fear they may pop up in the middle of a film, should these always be be updated?

swiv3d

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 06:59:05 pm »

I always update. Have you clicked on settings> windows security > open windows defender security centre ?

murray

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 07:01:22 pm »

I always update. Have you clicked on settings> windows security > open windows defender security centre ?
Yes I have done that but as I say all the buttons are greyed out, I cant turn it on.

swiv3d

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 07:03:59 pm »

Do you have some other av/firewall software on your machine?

murray

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 07:05:55 pm »

Do you have some other av/firewall software on your machine?
I only have windows firwall which i just turned on.

swiv3d

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 07:07:53 pm »

Then you should be able to turn on windows defender. It is probably already on then.

murray

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2018, 07:10:12 pm »

Then you should be able to turn on windows defender.
well I dont know why I cant sorry, all the buttons are greyed out :(

murray

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2018, 07:13:45 pm »

I just found this, maybe this is what I have to do but it looks very complicated. https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-defender-disabled-real-time-protection-virus/

~OHM~

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2018, 07:44:15 pm »

like I said you have a troll....scareware, malware, what ever you want to call it...if it's a bad one you most likely will need to re-install windows.... :-[
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2018, 12:39:17 am »

That warning pop up was a fault at JR end, they said that and have fixed it. JR guys have always mentioned to have the firewall turned off or one can get issues with JR functions.
We don't recommend turning a firewall off.  We do sometimes suggest it could be causing a problem because it isn't configured properly.
A firewall will normally tell you when it blocks a program.  Sometimes people just click OK.  Sometimes the firewall is set to a quiet mode and doesn't tell you.

murray

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2018, 01:50:50 am »

We don't recommend turning a firewall off.  We do sometimes suggest it could be causing a problem because it isn't configured properly.
A firewall will normally tell you when it blocks a program.  Sometimes people just click OK.  Sometimes the firewall is set to a quiet mode and doesn't tell you.
Jim are there instructions for setting up the firewall correctly, thats what i need to know please?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2018, 02:28:09 am »

No.  Just make sure the firewall is in a verbose mode.  Then run MC and read the messages carefully.

You could consult your firewall's instructions or search on Google.

murray

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2018, 02:39:56 am »

No.  Just make sure the firewall is in a verbose mode.  Then run MC and read the messages carefully.

You could consult your firewall's instructions or search on Google.
Sorry Jim, what does verbose mode mean, cant even find that on Google?
Also i never want anything to pop up when playing a movie with the firewall on, it can be set for that cant it?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2018, 02:57:21 am »

It talks to you.  Firewalls keeping silent are a problem.

swiv3d

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2018, 07:02:23 am »

Turn the firewall notifications on like I described earlier - JimH is using the term verbose meaning it tells you when it is going to block something. Run an antivirus check.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2018, 08:45:07 am »

You can get the antivirus settings from this thread, if you are able to change those settings:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=114101.0

However, since you had your firewall off for a while, you may currently have malware residing on your system. I would suggest scanning with a malware tool first to make sure your system is clean.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2018, 11:26:56 am »

You can get the antivirus settings from this thread, if you are able to change those settings:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=114101.0

However, since you had your firewall off for a while, you may currently have malware residing on your system. I would suggest scanning with a malware tool first to make sure your system is clean.
The free malwarebytes has always worked well for me.

murray

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2018, 03:01:39 pm »

- just make sure you let mediacenter 24 access the web.

What do you mean by this staement and the firewall please?

swiv3d

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2018, 03:11:11 pm »

1) Download malwarebytes and use it to check if you have any malware
2) make sure that notifications are turned on in your firewall settings and that your firewall is on.
3) If the firewall asks whether to block JRiver mediacenter 24 just allow it through the firewall.

murray

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2018, 04:01:06 pm »

1) Download malwarebytes and use it to check if you have any malware
2) make sure that notifications are turned on in your firewall settings and that your firewall is on.
3) If the firewall asks whether to block JRiver mediacenter 24 just allow it through the firewall.
Since I cant turn on defender due to it greyed out, I downloaded malwarebytes and did a scan, it all came back as clean.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2018, 04:33:11 pm »

Since I cant turn on defender due to it greyed out, I downloaded malwarebytes and did a scan, it all came back as clean.
That's good but it's odd you can't enable defender, it seems to indicate a system problem of some sort, like ownership or privilege elevation.

swiv3d

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2018, 04:36:24 pm »

In windows go to settings>Update and Security>Windows Security>Click the large Open Windows Defender Security Centre Button Then upload a picture of the screen which shows the security settings.

murray

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2018, 10:04:13 pm »

In windows go to settings>Update and Security>Windows Security>Click the large Open Windows Defender Security Centre Button Then upload a picture of the screen which shows the security settings.
I think my PC guy may have windows defender turned off as I see this message when i try to turn it on, am I correct?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2018, 12:58:16 am »

Thats not a message Media Center generates. If its a ripped Blu-ray disc, its probably a bad rip, and the tool you ripped it with didn't properly avoid all copy protections.

+1.  The Msg is a "Screenpass" msg.  You should post on the forum of the ripping tool you used for advice on that particular disk (in particular the correct playlist to use).
JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2018, 02:18:19 am »

+1.  The Msg is a "Screenpass" msg.  You should post on the forum of the ripping tool you used for advice on that particular disk (in particular the correct playlist to use).
Yes I fixed that problem when i was told it was a ripping issue thank you.
I used DVD fab and tried it a second time and still had the message pop up. I then used makmkv and now that disc works well ripped. This has never happened to me after ripping more than 1300 BDs.

swiv3d

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2018, 04:56:17 am »

I think my PC guy may have windows defender turned off as I see this message when i try to turn it on, am I correct?
Certainly looks that way! You could log in as an administrator and see what you can do then.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2018, 05:39:47 am »

On one of those settings pages, you have to click a button before you gain access.

gonca

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2018, 07:15:28 am »

Go to
Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative  Tools > Services
What are the status of the Windows Defender entries

murray

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2018, 06:13:16 pm »

Go to
Under status it is blank.

murray

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2018, 06:21:44 pm »

Go to
I tried to restart it in here and have this message.

gonca

• Recent member
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2018, 08:27:34 pm »

If you have a Pro version of windows log in as administrator and go to the group policy editor
Computer configuration > administrative templates > windows components > windows defender

If you have a Home edition you will have to do it through the registry, be careful with both approaches

murray

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2018, 08:32:43 pm »

, be careful with both approaches
This frightens me.... Im not confident doing stuff that might much things up. Since I have nothing installed on the HT PC except JR and never use it for anything else, do i really need defender working when i have the firwall on? I have done a clean with ccleaner and malwarebytes and both came up 100% clean.

~OHM~

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2018, 08:59:54 pm »

error

gonca

• Recent member
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2018, 09:13:42 pm »

This frightens me.... Im not confident doing stuff that might much things up. Since I have nothing installed on the HT PC except JR and never use it for anything else, do i really need defender working when i have the firwall on? I have done a clean with ccleaner and malwarebytes and both came up 100% clean.

That has to be your choice and decision.
Do you need it? Only you can truly answer that

B4Unyu

• Recent member
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2018, 09:27:23 pm »

try searching for the terms: windows 10 defender error 577
find something relevant.
...or if it come to it,
reinstall/force install a suspect windows update or the entire OS keeping your programs and files. download the latest ISO from MS if you need to. might have to reinstall MC after that. should be painless.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up