INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IE6: Last ver of stand alone browser  (Read 3854 times)

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
IE6: Last ver of stand alone browser
« on: June 01, 2003, 05:31:20 am »

http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-1011859.html?tag=lh

I hope JR has plans to open up to other browsers (ie Opera and Mozilla). I know...IE6 will be good for at least a couple more years.

Rx

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
Re: IE6: Last ver of stand alone browser
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2003, 10:00:51 am »

I think they are talking about a special version of IE that does not make itself part of the operating system just to meet the Justice Departments rulings.

The last truly standalone IE was version 3.01 which did not lock itself into the operating system & could be completely un-installed.

All versions of IE starting with version 4 have been integrated into the operation system.  Even if you acquired IE v4 (or higher) on a separate disk or download, it made itself part of the operating system upon installation & could not be successfully uninstalled.

An example of this was when I was running Win 95 (long ago) with 32MB of memory on a 486 machine (which ran pretty good).  Win 95 did not come with IE (version 1 or 2 at the time).  You could install IE 1, 2 or 3 & they had no impact on system performance when they were not running.  But the first time I installed IE 4 my system slowed down greatly even when IE was not loaded.  The problem was (and still is) that IE causes a memory drain on a system ALL the time even when not running.  To prove this I completely un-installed Win 95, re-installed Win 95 & performance returned.  As soon as I re-installed IE4 again memory load peaked & performance suffered.  This does not happen with other truly stand-alone browsers such as Opera.  Unfortunately IE has been built-into all versions of Windows since Win 98 & we really have no choice or method to really totally un-install it.  In  fact Windows now depends on IE for many settings such as fonts that are used on many screens other then IE.  I really HATE that! >:(
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 11:04:56 pm »

When on phone 56 kps connection ,i had Windows 95-98 with IE removed.
My computer was much faster and stable and Netscape NEVER crashed.

Only when getting ADSL i stopped this configuration because many streaming places - like HOB- needed both Windows Media Player and IE to stream Windows format who was SO MUCH better than theReal streaming.

I used IE for the first time not long ago.
Was ok and not bad.....But since i run Windows 2000 with IE6 , IE is just not good ,crashing all the times , having problem to give pictures on pages and so on.

DocLotus

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 10:46:29 am »

Try Opera 7... Very FAST.  Makes IE look very sluggish.

The Opera 7 program itself is only 3.4 MB & puts very little drain when running on the operating system.

Opera does a great job with images, in fact you can scale the images on the fly with the mouse wheel... a great feature totally lacking in IE.

Opera has a very nice built-in download manager that works pretty good.

In addition to all that, it has one of the best integrated e-mail that I have seen something that IE does not have.

Also uses Tabs which once you understand them makes browsing so much more enjoyable.

Only problem I have found so far with Opera is that it does not accept some third-party add-ons (I still use IE for on occasions).  Also some web sites are so IE dependent that occasionally one will look slightly different then they do with IE.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 04:54:54 pm »

You mean the email client ?
Or they $25 email ?

I never used Outlook Express in my life. Always Netscape Email client.

But not getting that much mail ,i do now with Yahoo Mail plus. As my weeb based email ,default email client .
And i can get my pop3 email from my internet provider ,that i never use , using Yahoo as well.

To really start to use more and more Opera ,i need only one thing: not to be lazy and learn how to use it.
I did used a lot 5 ,but 7 is so different

DocLotus

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2003, 05:33:39 pm »

Neither.

E-mail is built-into Opera 7.

Opera 7 cost $39 USD.

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2003, 02:35:57 am »

I like mozilla.

:)
Don't Panic!

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2003, 02:48:49 am »

Mozilla is good but is lacking a lot of the features that are built into Opera 7.

I understand that the latest NetScape uses the  mozilla engine.

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2003, 03:27:57 am »

If i am not wrong netscape uses mozilla 1.0.1/2 as their browser.

i am using mozilla 1.4rc1 :)

they have improved quite a lot in their rendering of html code.

it is quite a bit sparse on feature but i am only using it to surf the net. :) i dun have pop3 email and all i am looking for is a good and fast browser. opera is fast but it have some webpage rendering quirks which puts me off.
Don't Panic!

NoCodeUK

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2003, 04:46:03 am »

I would use Mozilla as my number one browser but for two things.  Firstly its rendering of XML Is very poor compared to MSXML.  They have made some improvements in this area but IE still wipes the floor at the moment.  Secondly Mozillas handling of Mime types it does not recognize is very poor.  All binary content it does not recognize is lumped into Application/octet stream and it does not allow you to stipulate new mime types based on file extension.  Also if you wish to save a file extension that it does not recognize it defaults to adding a .txt extension to the end.  If these two quirks could be ironed out I would transfer.  FireBird and Thunderbird are coming aloing very nicely and I think will be excellent.  If M$ do decide to no longer develop IE then these two should grasp back quite a lot of market share for the netscape camp if they can market them correctly.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2003, 05:51:49 am »

Death to IE: Long live Opera!  ;D

DocLotus

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2003, 09:36:48 am »

Yeh... Opera ;D ;D

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2003, 09:37:20 am »

I would use Mozilla as my number one browser but for two things.  Firstly its rendering of XML Is very poor compared to MSXML.  They have made some improvements in this area but IE still wipes the floor at the moment.  Secondly Mozillas handling of Mime types it does not recognize is very poor.  All binary content it does not recognize is lumped into Application/octet stream and it does not allow you to stipulate new mime types based on file extension.  Also if you wish to save a file extension that it does not recognize it defaults to adding a .txt extension to the end.  If these two quirks could be ironed out I would transfer.  FireBird and Thunderbird are coming aloing very nicely and I think will be excellent.  If M$ do decide to no longer develop IE then these two should grasp back quite a lot of market share for the netscape camp if they can market them correctly.

Yup, I do agree with you on those 2 things. Am now using mozilla as my main browser with occassional use of IE (like when purchasing MC). If they could iron out those 2 things, I do believe mozilla might have a chance of getting the market share.  But somehow, while I like mozilla, I never do like the netscape release version of it though. Find it overloaded and cumbersome. Not to mention slow to update. I just hope with the recent AOL/Microsoft deal, Netscape won't stop supporting the mozilla development group. *shrug* Just wait and see.
Don't Panic!

rocketsauce

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2003, 10:40:18 am »

Secondly Mozillas handling of Mime types it does not recognize is very poor.  All binary content it does not recognize is lumped into Application/octet stream...

This is the hot topic over at Mozillazine Forums right now.

http://www.mozillazine.org/

Of course, the problems is two-fold. The first part is that the sys admin of the server you are trying to download from has configured the mime types incorrectly, so it is sending the wrong info to Mozilla. The second part is that Mozilla doesn't do any kind of mime type "sniffing". It relies solely on the sys admin to configure his/her server correctly.

I think the Moz Devs have stated pretty emphatically that there will never be IE-style sniffing in Mozilla, but there have been some posts suggesting that a solution/compromise is in the works. Until then, the workaround is simple, just right-click and choose Save Link As... for any problem downloads.

I have been using Firebird as my main browser since the 0.6 release. I even have it working with EMusic. Oh, and don't forget built-in pop up and cookie blocking that works quite well. I pretty much only use IE for Windows Update. Of course it requires some tweaking here and there and a little patience now and then. That's to be expected, though, since it still is not even at version 1.0. :)

Rob

NoCodeUK

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2003, 02:56:21 pm »

I like Firbird I really do but I program a lot of XML and Mozilla just isn't there in terms of XML Support.  As for the mime types I am talking of the problem is that there is noactual mime type for it.  It is a type of guitar TAB file called a power tab kind of a combo between a tab and a midi.  They have been designed by a single guy and so are unlikely to get a recognisable mime type.  There fore the genuine type would be application /octet stream but if I configure this to open in PowerTab that means every unkown binary file attempts to open in Powertab which is useless...
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

sraymond

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2003, 03:19:05 pm »

I've been quite pleased with myIE2 (http://www.ruihehang.com/myie2/html_en/home.htm)...  the latest beta is very complete.  Or course, it's built on top of IE, but some might consider that a benefit.

Scott-

NoCodeUK

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2003, 03:25:25 pm »

Yeah I have used MYIE2 and I really like it.  I may consider that as my main option as I can have IE6 with decent XML support, can download from sites that don't work in any other browaer (which unfortunately also includes J River) and get tabbed browsing and all the other benfits that Mozilla has...  I'd like to like Opera and Firebird principally but they are behind IE in a lot of areas useful to me...Okay they are ahead in a lot too eg PNG support but then if 92% of users are using IE is there any point in using PNGs until IE supports them anyway??

Adam
Pages: [1]   Go Up