INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem connecting to remote server  (Read 756 times)

ajp_anton

• Junior Woodchuck
Problem connecting to remote server
« on: September 01, 2018, 02:18:40 pm »

I have a weird problem. I'm trying to connect to a remote MC24 server (Windows Server 2016) from a MC24 client (Windows 10 desktop, almost clean install) over the internet. The server's address is written in DNS name : port.

Sometimes, randomly, this stops working. It tries to connect for a while, and then displays an "Error loading library" error. Removing and re-adding the server with its DNS name does not work, but using its IP address directly does work. I'd like to use DNS though, in case the server's IP address changes.

Everything else I've tried works, so it's really difficult to pinpoint where the problem is. Pinging the DNS address works. Connecting to the server's web server works. Another MC24 client (Windows 10 laptop) on the same network works.

Only a restart of the computer solves the problem, until it randomly happens again.

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problem connecting to remote server
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 02:46:48 pm »

This won't solve your problem, but it may at least obviate the need to reboot the client computer:

Open a command prompt window and enter the command

ipconfig /flushdns

A similar command may help with your troubleshooting:

ipconfig /displaydns

ajp_anton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 03:03:39 pm »

@DJLegba
flushdns does not help.

I don't know what I'm supposed to look at in displaydns. There is an entry for the address in question. It disappears with flushdns, and reappears as soon as I use it somewhere.

Actually, there's a follow-up on the "pure IP" solution that I thought worked. Entering the IP address does *not* work as it should. It connects and prompts for a username and password (which made me think it works), but that's as far as it gets. The login fails, no matter what I do (double- and triple-checked by entering identical stuff on my laptop). Both regular and SSL failes to authenticate (using their respective ports).
So at least this further narrows down the problem to MC24 somehow, I guess? Though it's odd that restarting Windows solves the problem, but restarting only MC24 doesn't.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 04:23:09 pm »

I think I read someware that windows server operating systems are not suggested or supported for use with MC. If it worked in the past for you, you must of done something right. Then throwing W10 in the mix....good luck

Maybe a static IP would help...just a thought!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

DJLegba

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 05:10:28 pm »

Check that your Windows Server is activated. If it is not activated it will reject network connections after a little while.

ajp_anton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 07:01:42 pm »

I think I read someware that windows server operating systems are not suggested or supported for use with MC. If it worked in the past for you, you must of done something right. Then throwing W10 in the mix....good luck

Maybe a static IP would help...just a thought!
The Windows Server is acting as the media server, and it's working fine for other clients (two Windows 10 laptops, one of which I'm testing in the same LAN as the desktop that doesn't work).

Check that your Windows Server is activated. If it is not activated it will reject network connections after a little while.
Same as above, it works fine with other clients. It's just this one desktop client that stops working after a while and requires a restart.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 02:14:38 am »

Did you read the wiki topic on Network Access?

ajp_anton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 12:02:51 pm »

Did you read the wiki topic on [url=http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access][url=http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access][url=http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access][url=http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access]Network Access[/url][/url][/url][/url]?
Yes. And nothing there really helps, as the server *is* perfectly accessible from the outside by all clients except this one. And even this one problematic client can access the MC24 server, until it randomly goes into this mode where it's
- Able to connect through IP or access key, but can't authenticate
- Not able to connect at all through DNS name
- Windows restart fixes the problem
Pages: [1]   Go Up