INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 second delay before 1920 x 1280 video commences  (Read 674 times)

kaplantoday

• Recent member
4 second delay before 1920 x 1280 video commences
« on: September 02, 2018, 08:57:52 pm »

If I play a relatively low resolution (like 640 x 480) video file, the video and the audio start up at pretty much the same time.  However, if I play a 1920 x 1280 resolution file, the audio starts immediately but the video doesn't show on the screen for about 4 seconds.  Prior to that the screen is black.  Is there a setting I can use whereby JRiver will "cache" or "buffer" the open seconds so that audio and video commence simultaneously, even if this is a few seconds after hitting the "play" command.  My crude workaround is to hit the spacebar twice quickly which pauses the video long enough for JRiver to "catch up."

My system is a PC with i5 processor, 8 gb of ram, an NVIDIA 1050 graphics card which sends audio and video via high-speed HDMI cable to my Denon 3300W which passes it through to my Sony UHD TV.  It does not seem to matter whether I am accessing the file from my NAS drive or from a USB drive connected directly to the computer via USB 3.0 port.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: 4 second delay before 1920 x 1280 video commences
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 10:00:18 pm »

I presume you are using Tools--> Options--> Video--> Display Settings--> Display Settings automatic change mode = "On".  If you you can change it to "Custom" and then input a "Wait after change (use if display changes slowly) from "None" to say "5 Sec".   
JRiver CEO Elect

kaplantoday

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 09:53:57 am »

Unfortunately neither a 5 second delay nor a 10 second delay made any difference at all when clicking into a video file name to play it.  Would you perhaps have another idea?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 11:00:55 am »

Here's a similar problem that was caused by a Windows update:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,24031.msg785090.html#msg785090

kaplantoday

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 02:12:55 pm »

Well that issue might be a "cousin" to this issue, but unfortunately the information is not on point.
If JRiver could do the following then the problem could be solved:
1) Enable a video file to be executed either in pause mode or to go immediately into pause mode when executed.
2)Then a push of the pause/play toggle would pull it into playing mode when the time was right which, depending on the file, could be anywhere from one to five seconds.
I can do this manually either using the keyboard or the screen on my iphone with the JRiver remote; however, I have to be quick and paying more attention than I'm always able to.

Alternately, maybe JRiver could have a setting where the user can decide to start videos in pause mode and then have the program switch to play mode after an assigned amount of time, like 2 second or 5 seconds or a nice array from 1 second to maybe 8 seconds.

The point is the the big 1920 x 1280 or even UHD files play fine once the buffer catches up, but it takes a while to get into that position and while that's happening I'm watching a black screen and listening to the video's soundtrack.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 03:09:10 pm »

If you haven't done so, please update your video driver.

kaplantoday

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 04:03:32 pm »

I updated the NVidia GEForce 1030 display driver.  That took a bit of doing because of the conflict between Nvidia's installation application and the native windows one.  At any rate I accomplished the update.  Then I went into settings and made sure that the resolution was the 2160 resolution of my Sony screen that is supported by the Denon 3300W as HDMI signal passthrough.

After that most of the video files, particularly the larger MP4s, played instantly without losing any of the beginning and without any discrepancy between when the video and the audio commence.  The only problem now is that a minor portion of the smaller MP4s do not start "on time."  Ironically these were ones that started "on time" in my previous arrangement.

Thank you so much for the guidance.  It is much better than the better files work 100%.  I can always up-render the low resolution files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up