INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where Are Passwords Reset  (Read 2300 times)

bmcm

• Recent member
Where Are Passwords Reset
« on: September 04, 2018, 05:29:06 pm »

I am running the latest version of MC for Windows. I read about the recent hacking of the MC servers, etc. I set about to change all of my passwords, but I have been unable to find all the places to do that. I have 2 passwords assigned for MC. One of the passwords is for the forum, and I was able to change that password without difficulty. I believe the second password was assigned sometime during my initial interaction with the www.jriver.com website or possible when I downloaded MC and installed it. Can someone please give me a clue where the place is to reset this second password.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Where Are Passwords Reset
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 01:27:48 am »

tools options     then at the bottom of the pop up window theres a search box at the bottom....have at it
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 01:22:21 pm »

Think OHM might have misunderstood. ;) I am still searching on how to change this as well. Hoping a reply will be posted in this other Password Discussion topic started by Jim soon.
Thanks!

bmcm

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 07:00:31 pm »

Think OHM might have misunderstood. ;) I am still searching on how to change this as well. Hoping a reply will be posted in this other Password Discussion topic started by Jim soon.

Thank you for the reply. It is helpful to learn that I am not dumb as dirt.

swiv3d

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 08:29:18 pm »

As far as I am aware you don't need to change any password  for the restore site. Having said this it is usual for someone to jump in and tell me I am wrong (a win win situation if you are looking for information!).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 09:36:19 pm »

I think you are right swiv3d!

To the best of my knowledge, the purchase password is assigned on an order by order basis and is linked to the email address used for each order. Take a look at: https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/buy.cgi?productid=83
That is the purchase page, but basically the same page is used for an upgrade.

For each order, whether a new purchase or an upgrade, you can assign a different email and password. Then it and/or the Registration Code can be used for future transactions.

About the only time that you actually need your purchase email address and password used after purchase is if Option 3 on the restore page applies. That is, you need to change your email address for your current licence, so that a Registration Code can be sent to you, and hence you can do a licence restore. See https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore.cgi and https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore_email.cgi?displaychange=1

The only thing someone can do if they knew the email address and password you used during a purchase/upgrade is change the email address associated with your licence, and hence steal your licence. If that were to happen I'm sure JRiver could sort it out.

So the only threat to your security is if you used the same email address and password elsewhere, allowing someone to log into another service you use. The advice after any security breach is to change all passwords everywhere, so if you have done that, there is no longer any need to change the password associated with your JRiver purchase.

Of course swiv3d, we could both be wrong... but I don't think we are.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 05:17:32 am »

RoderickGI, I believe you have it right.  Thanks.

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 05:49:23 pm »

Sounds good, thanks for the clarification everyone. Just wanted to make sure I dotted all my I's and cross all my T's on my end to help out. Will use new password for next version's purchase.
Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up