INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnail view (album grouped)  (Read 1240 times)

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
Thumbnail view (album grouped)
« on: June 02, 2003, 02:15:04 am »

Hi,

When browsing albums in thumbnail view (album grouped) I want to get the track list of the particular album and I do not find an easy way to do so.  
For example:

I'm browsing a view scheme Artist/Album. When I get to a particular artist in the tree and click on it, the thumbnails of the albums (grouped) appear on the right panel. At this point, what I would like is an easy way to browse the tracks of each album by highlighting the thumbnail. If I put the cursor over the thumbnail I get the tooltip with the track listing, which is great, but, unfortunately I cannot click on it to select a single track to play.

I tried editing the view scheme so that "Name" is the last part of it... This way I can have all the information in the tree but it's not very comfortable to use when you have artists with an important number of albums.

I would like to be able to do something so that highlighting one of the thumbnails I could get to view the list of the tracks in the right panel and select some of them to play. It would be great if highlighting the album and right clicking on it, a new editable window with the tracks appeared. I think it could be done in two ways:

1.- As it does when you right-click and go to properties and the properties panel opens.

or, maybe in an easier way...

2.- The thumbnail view automatically changed to detail view but "filtered" for the precise album and not showing all the albums.

I don't know if I'm missing something obvious. How do you do that? Any help will be very much apreciated.

Thank you.

V-Man

Re: Thumbnail view (album grouped)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 05:28:34 am »

You have to buy the Album View plug-in for this :( It costs £7.

Deivit

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 06:27:54 am »

Thanks V-Man. Actually I'm a registered user of Album View plug-in  :)

It's just that some things from Album View do not please me very much... such as having to keep two separate databases that are not auto-synchronized...

Perhaps the best solution would be JRiver to hire Rhino as a a free-lance developer ;D so that they integrate AlbumView inside MC to have the best of both worlds... one only database and a great user interface.  I would be more than happy to pay 2 or 3 more bucks for the integrated product... and probably Rhino would make more money by selling his AV to each and every MC user. Anyway... this is up to them... and it's none of my business ;)

Thanks for your help, V-Man.

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 06:33:17 am »

Perhaps the best solution would be JRiver to hire Rhino as a a free-lance developer ;D so that they integrate AlbumView inside MC to have the best of both worlds... one only database and a great user interface.  I would be more than happy to pay 2 or 3 more bucks for the integrated product... and probably Rhino would make more money by selling his AV to each and every MC user. Anyway... this is up to them... and it's none of my business ;)

Thanks for your help, V-Man.

I've brought up this topic before, and the response was extremely chilly, as in I got a reply from one person, Nila, who is a dedicated Album View user. Seems Rhino nor JRiver have anything to say about this, what that means is up to your own interpetation.

But clearly, AV is far superior in it's functioning using "thumbnail" views than MC. And up to now, those at JRiver seem to have no intention of even trying to simulate the extensive usability of the AV plug. Maybe they don't want to work it out, maybe JR doesn't want to rip-off\destroy all of Rhino's hard work.

Either way, 'tis a bit of a shame that they need to exist in their current separated and multi-stepped state. :(

Flobalob

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 06:43:05 am »

I have a pretty simple (sort of) way around this...
When browsing through album covers, find a cover that you want, right click and choose Locate > On Disk (in Media Center). You will then be presented with a track list. Pick the stuff you want then use the back button on the toolbar to take you back to the cover art where you can do it again.
Not the most intuitive but it does the job.
Also, once you do your first 'Locate > On Disk (in Media Center)', it will be at the top of your right click menu so it will be easier in succeeding uses.
Hope that helps...
See ya

PS if you use the 'double click adds to playing now' option in the options then you can keep 'Locate > On Disk (in Media Center)' at the top of the right click menu for the duration of a session.

Deivit

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 07:25:53 am »

Warren,
I agree with you... it seems to me that a collaboration between them would be good for both the product and the users, but anyway... they know where each other is... and they must have their reasons, which of course I respect.
-----

Flobalob,
Thanks for your suggestion. I'm gonna give it a try  :)

-----

Regards,
David

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2003, 08:27:12 am »

When browsing through album covers, find a cover that you want, right click and choose Locate > On Disk (in Media Center). You will then be presented with a track list. Pick the stuff you want then use the back button on the toolbar to take you back to the cover art where you can do it again.
Also, once you do your first 'Locate > On Disk (in Media Center)', it will be at the top of your right click menu so it will be easier in succeeding uses.
Hope that helps...
See ya

PS if you use the 'double click adds to playing now' option in the options then you can keep 'Locate > On Disk (in Media Center)' at the top of the right click menu for the duration of a session.

Ugh!

Deivit

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2003, 09:46:35 am »

Hope that helps...
See ya

Doesn't work for me, since I don't use the standard artist/album directory thing... but thank you anyway. I'm gonna keep on using my trick of putting the "name" field as the last one of the view scheme so that at least I have the tracks on sight in the tree.
Pages: [1]   Go Up