INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Q: System Volume - Should Windows Vol Control work if using WASAPI?  (Read 536 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!

I've revamped by PC's Speakers with a AVR & a 3.1 Bookshelf setup being fed from a nvidia GPU over HDMI.  I also have a HW Windows volume knob (USB) so I don't have to reach for the AVR's Volume Control.  Ideally, I'd like:
- Control the Windows Vol for all apps (incl MC) using the Vol Knob
- Use WASAPI Exclusive when listening to MC (to avoid other windows noises etc)

I've set MC's Vol Control to System Volume, but when I adjust the Windows Vol the output is still 100% even though I see the MC Vol Slider move.  "Maximize device volume during playback" is unchecked.  Mute works, but Vol control does not do anything.  If I change to DirectSound then Vol Control does work. 

Should Windows Vol Control work if using WASAPI?

Thanks
Nathan
https://www.droking.com/usb-controller-usb-volume-audio-adjuster-pc-speakers-switch-control-module-for-adjusting-volume-of-computer-laptop
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Q: System Volume - Should Windows Vol Control work if using WASAPI?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 05:25:09 pm »

Exclusive mode by-passes any windows volume control. Only internal volume would work.
This can in some cases depend on the audio driver in question. If they implement their own device-based volume control it can still work. If Windows did it for you, then it cannot.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Q: System Volume - Should Windows Vol Control work if using WASAPI?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 05:36:34 pm »

Thanks - Using Internal Vol works for MC but.... MC grabs the Vol Control Knob input so that it then only applies to MC's Internal Vol and does not change the Windows Vol.  I have to close MC and MC Server for the Vol Control Knob to work with other apps.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up