INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Options Menu Stopped Showing  (Read 1502 times)

jrh517

Options Menu Stopped Showing
« on: September 08, 2018, 05:20:46 am »

Hey everyone, I've been using MC24 with great results and joy. Recently the options menu stopped showing up when clicking Command+O or when selecting it from the Tools menu. I've searched everywhere and tried everything I can think of. Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help! Options Menu Stopped Showing!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 05:50:09 am »

Does it work from the program itself? 

jrh517

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 06:08:49 am »

Nope. That's the issue.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 06:12:00 am »

So it doesn't work from both the main program and the tools menu.  Is that correct? 

I have no idea why that would happen.  What is the full version of MC that you're using?  The latest is at the top of this board.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 06:43:07 am »

It's possible that the options menu is already open (as it's own window) and it's hidden behind something else.  To test this, find the media center icon in the dock.  Press and hold the left mouse button on the MC icon until a little menu pops up.   Select "show all windows" from that menu.  If you see the options dialog/window click on it and you'll be able to see and close it.

If that doesn't work, I would try to quit MC, and then relaunch it.

Good luck.

Brian.

jrh517

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 01:54:01 am »

Just tried to show all windows. Still a no show. I've never had anything like this happen. I tried reinstalling. Still no. I'm running the latest update as well.

Any other ideas? Really annoying me because my FLACs are outputting as MP3 and I can't change that.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Options Menu Stopped Showing
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 05:15:19 am »

So, when you select Options from the tools menu, in theory, the options window should be showing, and you should not be able to interact with the main program that, normally, would be behind the options window.

After hitting "Tools > Options", are you able to interact with the main program still?
If you are, this suggests that the options window really is not open.
If not, then the options window is open, but somewhere else? Do you have multiple monitors, or maybe multiple desktops? could options be showing up there somehow?

-marko

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 07:56:13 am »

I hate this answer, but have you rebooted your Mac?  If not, it's worth a try.

Brian.

HS12

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 05:04:25 am »

My friend developed the same problem on his MC24 on his macbook pro. He has an identical setup to me and I have no problems. We both have MC24 on our macbook pro's we both store our music files on WD Mycloudex2ultra NAS and use version less Id's.

We have uninstalled and reinstalled MC24 and are still unable to get the options on his MC24. It's more of an annoyance to him than a problem being as the Id is where he plays from and only uses MC24 to organise his files. A fix for him would be nice though. (I have a feeling it may be related to zones as he used to control the Id from MC24 rather than Panel or Remote)

DJLegba

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 07:34:15 am »

Is it possible you were using multiple monitors at some point and the options dialog got moved to the second display? I don't know what the key chord is on the Mac that permits you to move a window with the cursor keys, but on a Windows computer I'd press alt-spacebar when I think the options dialog should have the focus, then press M to select the Move menu item (which isn't visible, of course), then use the left or right arrows (depending on where I usually have the second monitor) to try to bring the dialog back onto the active screen. Or you could just connect the second screen again.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 10:53:38 am »

Make sure your library is backed up in case you lose your user settings (DLNA, library, etc).
Note manually any settings you changed from the stock setup (DLNA server settings, Customized views, expressions, etc).

Edit:
A way to just reset the Options window Placement:
Close MC24, open a terminal and do this:
Code: [Select]
sed '/Window Placement - Options/d' ~/Library/Application\ Support/J\ River/Media\ Center\ 24/Settings/User\ Settings.ini >/tmp/US.ini && mv /tmp/US.ini ~/Library/Application\ Support/J\ River/Media\ Center\ 24/Settings/User\ Settings.ini
This is more destructive, it removes all of the user settings:
rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/J\ River/Media\ Center\ 24/Settings/User\ Settings.ini
You can then restore a library backup, when you do that choose NOT to restore settings.

jrh517

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 11:26:50 pm »

Make sure your library is backed up in case you lose your user settings (DLNA, library, etc).
Note manually any settings you changed from the stock setup (DLNA server settings, Customized views, expressions, etc).

Edit:
A way to just reset the Options window Placement:
sed '/Window Placement - Options/d' ~/Library/Application\ Support/J\ River/Media\ Center\ 24/Settings/User\ Settings.ini >/tmp/US.ini && mv /tmp/US.ini ~/Library/Application\ Support/J\ River/Media\ Center\ 24/Settings/User\ Settings.ini
This is more destructive, it removes all of the user settings:
rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/J\ River/Media\ Center\ 24/Settings/User\ Settings.ini
You can then restore a library backup, when you do that choose NOT to restore settings.

Only this final line of code worked to fix the issue. So thank you very much, Bob! I will update this thread if it starts to disappear again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up