INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: understanding zones  (Read 4249 times)

johnnie

• Recent member
understanding zones
« on: September 10, 2018, 04:51:35 pm »

MC has found all my dlna renderers. So when I try to add a zone and go to the options all I can find is the various options associated with my PC sound card, but none of my DLNA devices. Is this how it works?
Also more importantly if I link 2 DLNA players and load up some tracks MC will play them on both devices, (haven't tried the sync option yet). BUT while these tracks are playing if I queue up additional tracks then it seems to fall over. The screen jumps and buffers and the playback stops at the end of the original list. The new track is there but when clicked we go back to the first track. It seems that if you compile a track list and then play them its OK but you cant add any more tracks without things going pear shaped.
Thanks.   

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: understanding zones
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 05:34:10 pm »

johnnie

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 04:53:54 pm »

I already looked at this link. It doesn't answer either question, that's why I posted on the forum.
Under the Player menu, choose "Zones", then "Add Zone"
That's the help for adding zones.
Your new zone will appear under Playing Now. Click on it and use the standard options to select a sound device. (Each zone has its own device.)
A DLNA Renderer can also be a zone.

That's the help for configuring.
1st question, I already said that I've done this and I can't see any lists for my renderers.
2nd question, No help at all for the issues I have with adding tracks to an existing tracklist.
I know I got a reply from the mainman but I hope he read my post rather than just giving me the link. I've read it and there is no help there. ?

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 05:15:45 pm »

1) AFAIK - If you link two or more zones and send a playlist to them it must be static - you cannot add to them or alter the play sequence.
2) If you add a zone - it will not show your dlna renderers as part of the set up options because each of your dlna renderers is also automatically a zone. You can set up various playback options for any of the main zones like player. You can chose the playback audio device, set DSP settings for the zone. I have one set up called headphones which is specifically tailored for best headphone listening, while the player zone is set up to blast out music from my floor standing speakers.
3) You can associate dlna renderers with specific dlna servers you have set up - so that for example a system which can only cope with mp3 type music is supplied with that while one capable of handling Hi Res output gets that.
Hope this helps.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 05:17:24 pm »

Did you turn on Media Network?  Tools > Options > Media Network.

Maybe reading about DLNA on the wiki would help.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 09:54:30 am »

MC has found all my dlna renderers. So when I try to add a zone and go to the options all I can find is the various options associated with my PC sound card, but none of my DLNA devices. Is this how it works?

As far as I know, this is true.  There are is no DSP or Audio options dialog for your DNLA zones like there is for a local zone.  However, there is a DLNA profiles section that you will probably want to explore.  It allows you to control things like audio conversion options.

Tools > Options > Media Network > Add or Configure DLNA servers

Once you have added a profile there, you can associate that profile with your DLNA renderers on the left hand side (with the other zones) by right clicking and selecting a menu option to associate.  This might do some of what you are after.

As for linking zones, I have found similar behavior to what you have found.  For DLNA zones, I find linking to be completely useless.  I've tried dozens of times over the 3 or so years I've used MC and have failed every time.

I don't mean to be harsh.  I really like MC in general.  But the zone linking with DLNA does not work as a consumer would expect and in fact doesn't work like a fairly hardcore MC user (me) would expect, even after a lot of experimentation.

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 10:07:09 am »

As far as I know, this is true.  There are is no DSP or Audio options dialog for your DNLA zones like there is for a local zone.  However, there is a DLNA profiles section that you will probably want to explore.  It allows you to control things like audio conversion options.

Once you have added a profile there, you can associate that profile with your DLNA renderers on the left hand side (with the other zones) by right clicking and selecting a menu option to associate.  This might do some of what you are after.

As for linking zones, I have found similar behavior to what you have found.  For DLNA zones, I find linking to be completely useless.  I've tried dozens of times over the 3 or so years I've used MC and have failed every time.

I don't mean to be harsh.  I really like MC in general.  But the zone linking with DLNA does not work as a consumer would expect and in fact doesn't work like a fairly hardcore MC user (me) would expect, even after a lot of experimentation.

Brian.

Hi blgentry,

What happens when you try to link the zones? 

I'm talking to the zone linking wizard here and he says it's working fine for him.

Maybe start a thread.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 03:20:13 pm »

Linking a DLNA zone with a local zone has at least two issues:

1.  The sync won't stay in sync.  After carefully adjusting sync, it drifts after a short time.  Generally 1 song or less.  As I understand it, no amount of messing with the sync will fix it, as there are playback delays associated with a DLNA renderer that do not match a local device and are not easy to determine.  Note that my primary MC platform is Mac and I have tried, as recently as a few months ago, MC24 on Linux (raspberry pi) as a DLNA renderer.  I had hoped that MC24's enhanced zone stuff would fix this, but it didn't change things in my setup.  Perhaps it all works if everything is MC for windows (including DLNA renderers).

2.  As the OP reported, you can't really edit Playing Now once you've linked zones.  Well, you can edit it, but the changes don't seem to make it to both zones.  I can't remember specifics.  Similarly, if you try to skip a track, the zones don't seem to be able to handle this.

Brian.

johnnie

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 04:59:51 pm »

Thank you for the great response. Linking DLNA zones doesn't sound like it will work, So many different devices trying to handshake each other. What I'm pleased about however is that people thought about my questions and answered them with some authority. I.e. the DLNA linking is problematic so now I don't have to waste time as a relative newcomer trying to get it to work, it doesn't, fair enough. Going a bit off topic I am a long time Musicbee user. Changing to MC is a steep learning curve but Musicbee have stated they will no longer support UPNP/DLNA playback which for me is crucial. I look forward to more help from the forum.

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 03:17:44 pm »

Brian.

Hi

I tried the same to get DSP-Option (EQ) working on a DLNA renderer.

Selecting the renderer and then in the Menu: player/DSP-Options

I get the  error message: "DSP Studio is only available for local zones"

So DLNA is obvious not a local zone. I have not found a definition of "Local Zone" however .
What is a zone which is not a "local zone"?

I would   like to have DSP Studio also available for any device (renderer or not)

Peter

swiv3d

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 04:11:44 pm »

A local zone is one present in the MC server instance - for example I have two - the standard player and one called headphones which is set up specificaly for headphone playback. A non-local zone will be a device connected via dlna for example my tvs. I can associate a dlna server with each of the non-local zones so that they receive appropriate file types to playback. Hope this helps.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 04:56:41 pm »

I get the  error message: "DSP Studio is only available for local zones"

This is confusing for sure.  You CAN apply DSP to DLNA zones!  But it's not in the same place as a regular zone.  See?  It's confusing.  What you want to do is set up a "DLNA server profile".  This profile will have the DSP settings inside it.  Then you associate that profile by right clicking on the DLNA zone over on the left and selecting it.

So, let's set up that profile for you:

Tools > Options > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA servers > Add server
(select your new server) > Audio > advanced > DSP Studio

Once you configure it, save the profile.  Then go associate it with one of your DLNA zones.  You should probably also set the Audio > format to PCM and Audio > Mode to specified output format .  I believe it defaults to MP3 otherwise.

Brian.

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 04:39:07 pm »

This is confusing for sure.  You CAN apply DSP to DLNA zones!  But it's not in the same place as a regular zone.  See?  It's confusing.  What you want to do is set up a "DLNA server profile".  This profile will have the DSP settings inside it.  Then you associate that profile by right clicking on the DLNA zone over on the left and selecting it.

So, let's set up that profile for you:

Tools > Options > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA servers > Add server
(select your new server) > Audio > advanced > DSP Studio

Once you configure it, save the profile.  Then go associate it with one of your DLNA zones.  You should probably also set the Audio > format to PCM and Audio > Mode to specified output format .  I believe it defaults to MP3 otherwise.

Brian.

Hi Brian

I could do all that. The renderer (Primo HD) works. However DSP Studio has no effect.
-I can do zone
-I can assiciate with Primo HD the zone
-I can configure DSP-Studio for the zone (assocuiated with HD Primo)

and the DPS studio has no effect.

DSP studio in local zone (with an RME UFX and an UFX II) works fine.

I am now a big step further however not finished..

Thnaks to you advise.

Yes I agree, its rather complicated, with a mananul it would be fine, otherwise its just impossible to get it how to do.

Peter

swiv3d

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 08:48:59 pm »

I think from what you are saying that you are linking a zone with your Primo HD - that won't work. As blgentry advised you should go to Tools > Options > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA servers  (look at capture.jpg) If you don't have an audiophile 24 bit DAC server then add it. Then select the output mode you want, then click advanced (Capture2.jpg) and open the DSP studio settings popup. Set your output requirements then close the popup. Now find your PrimoHD in the list of zones and right click on it. At the bottom of the popup menu you will find associate with dlna server - select your audiophile server and close the popup. Now when you play to your primo it should receive DSP output. Hope this helps.

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 01:29:09 am »

Thanks.

I almost could do everything. I guess I need to configure the output of DPS-studio correctly. I let it default, problably this is why DSP studio has no effect. I checked by heavy EQ adjustmetns and Pitch/Tempo adjustement. This is easy  audible to chek if DSP-studio is working.
I will now try to correctly configure DSP-Studio, espiecailly output. This may be the issue.

I could associate Primo HD with tthe zone and could add PCM 24-Bit

Peter

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 03:18:10 am »

Hi

I did now create a zone and assigned that zone with the Primo HD (DLNA renderer).
I could configure DSP-studio for the zone. However DSP-studio has no effect.
Has anyone sucessfully tested DSP-studio settings with associated zones?

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up