INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuttering in between tracks when streaming from NAS [Solved]  (Read 2950 times)

Ceki

Setup: I’m using MC 17 (17.0.180) on my Laptop machine coupled to a high quality DAC over USB. The music-files are located on a NAS machine.

Problem: It is impossible to play (this is, stream) files over wireless network without hefty stuttering in between tracks. The stuttering is even more hefty for high resolution files, as one would expect. (I can stream without noticeable problems over wired network; however, I do have to use a cable across my living room.)

Diagnose: Looking at the bandwidth monitor of the NAS, I found that there is a peak in the bandwidth usage in between every two tracks (see the attached screenshot).

Two questions:

Why is there a peak in bandwidth usage in between two consecutive pieces (in gapless mode) even if these pieces are part of the current playlist (such that it is clear beforehand which piece will have to play next)? I could understand that there is a initial peak when playing the first piece in a playlist.

Is there any setting to control/influence this behavior or to reduce the stuttering?

Ceki

Re: Stuttering in between tracks when streaming from NAS
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 08:14:11 am »

I have been able to settle the above problem and thought I might share the solution.

As it turned out the hefty peak in bandwidth usage at the beginning of each track was caused by the option "Play files from memory instead of disk" that had been turned on (and from which I assumed that it would only make a difference for local file playback). Obviously, with setting turned on MC tries to slurp each track into memory irrespective from the file's location and even if the file is located on a NAS and is streamed over network anyhow.

Now, with that option turned off there is only a slight peak at the beginning at each piece but the bandwidth usage is very well below 300 kB (for playback of 44.1 kHz 24 bit flac-files) at all times -- which can be handled very well by the WLAN. The stuttering has gone.

soundcheck

Re: Stuttering in between tracks when streaming from NAS [Solved]
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 03:51:06 am »

Ok. You found a workaround. But IMO the actual problem is not solved.

I'm also experiencing a kind of weired noise when switching audio tracks & tracks read from network share & ram buffering enabled & some EQs enabled.

I do think this setup is great to avoid continous load on the network and to avoid continous streaming load on the renderer. A bulk transfer is IMO much more efficient.

IMO somebody from MC should look into the subject. To me it's a bug - perhaps somewhere in the caching area.

If you don't reopen the issue I'll file another ticket.

THX

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 11:31:42 am »

I have been able to settle the above problem and thought I might share the solution.

As it turned out the hefty peak in bandwidth usage at the beginning of each track was caused by the option "Play files from memory instead of disk" that had been turned on (and from which I assumed that it would only make a difference for local file playback). Obviously, with setting turned on MC tries to slurp each track into memory irrespective from the file's location and even if the file is located on a NAS and is streamed over network anyhow.

Now, with that option turned off there is only a slight peak at the beginning at each piece but the bandwidth usage is very well below 300 kB (for playback of 44.1 kHz 24 bit flac-files) at all times -- which can be handled very well by the WLAN. The stuttering has gone.
Good find.
The switch does say (not zone specific)
I assume you are pushing the music to a DLNA renderer which appears as a zone.
Still however, I don't think anything played to a DLNA device should be spooled into memory first.

soundcheck

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 01:51:40 am »

Good find.

If you do bulk copies, you can't avoid high peak loads in a very short time frame.

Still however, I don't think anything played to a DLNA device should be spooled into memory first.

Logitech is caching 30s of music on their renderers. And there's a reason for it.

In my case I get the distortions when copying the file from a network share into the RAMbuffer. I'm running a local MC installation
on that device. And it only happens when switching tracks.

No FullFile caching with DLNA-  as streaming scenario - fair enough. But why not if possible.
In any case the ram cache option should be automatically disabled on DLNA servers for that particular server without changing my local setup.
You should put an option into the Music config for each DLNA server to enable/disable it. That one overrides the generic option.

General comment: At this point we again (subtitles/languages/audio-channels?)  have a conflict of generic local and DLNA server options. (I think the whole DLNA
                         parametrization area needs to be reviewed - each DLNA server needs it's own profile  - and there are quite some parameters that are available
                         in the generic section only. I can't ( don't want to)  change my generic options all the time to get each of my DLNA renderers working.)
                         It shouldn't be a big deal to get this done.

Back to the caching:
Caching the file from a network share should work without any hickups on a local MC install at least.

bennievcrowell

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 09:35:11 am »

Has this problem been solved by anyone? I disabled the "Play From Memory" option and still have stuttering at the beginning of each track in a playlist from a NAS.

I'm in a trial period and can't purchase MC unless there is a way to cast it to my Samsung Series 6 65" TV. If someone has a workable way to do this, I will do whatever it takes to cast from the NAS to the TV's pre-amp before going to my amplifier.

Has anyone actually solved this yet? I would appreciate your assistance. Thank you very much.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 09:58:21 am »

How are you connecting to the NAS with MC? As a file share or as a DLNA library?

bennievcrowell

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 12:48:01 am »

I am new and don't know the terminology. Tell me which way I should do it and I will read the manual and Wiki.

My MC is installed on the same machine as my music library. Is there a client app I'm supposed to use on the TV?

Playing locally is fine. Selecting my Samsung Series 6 65 inch TV from the upper left pane causes a 1 second repeat (stutter?) of the beginning of each track. Thanks for any help. I will research it. Just point me in the right direction please.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 06:10:35 am »

I am new and don't know the terminology. Tell me which way I should do it and I will read the manual and Wiki.

My MC is installed on the same machine as my music library. Is there a client app I'm supposed to use on the TV?

Playing locally is fine. Selecting my Samsung Series 6 65 inch TV from the upper left pane causes a 1 second repeat (stutter?) of the beginning of each track. Thanks for any help. I will research it. Just point me in the right direction please.
If you're playing to the TV, there is no app required on the TV, since it must support DLNA.  It's a DLNA Renderer.  Not all devices work as renderers.  You could try controlling it from the TV.  That might work better.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

I'll move this to a new thread since there is no NAS involved. 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 09:20:52 am »

In Tools->Options->Media Network->Add or configure DLNA servers
Select your server and try choosing "Original Format" for Audio. Most new TV's can play anything without conversion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up