INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Center 24 does not import some perfectly good files  (Read 1142 times)

pablolie

• Recent member
JRiver Media Center 24 does not import some perfectly good files
« on: September 12, 2018, 05:18:15 pm »

Odd issue. I import files from a folder (flac and mp3).

For some reason it imports everything, but when trying to play some files, it'll noodle on and claim "Something went wrong with playback: Details: The file could not be found. Check that the filename in the library matches the filename in the disk."

And - aha. It doesn't.

If I double click the file in the folder, it open in MC and plays fine. If I try the same from within MC, it croaks with the message above.

Nothing helps. The fixing broken links in autoimport, clearing the library and rescanning.  Why?

pablolie

• Recent member
Re: JRiver Media Center 24 does not import some perfectly good files
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 05:48:01 pm »

So here's how JRMC24 sees the file after import...

Name   Artist   Album   Rating   Genre   Track #   Duration   Bitrate   File Type   Date   Filename
Juicy Fruit   Mtume   untitled playlist   ? stars      4   5:54   160   mp3      C:\Users\nyname\Music\CarMP3mix\-.mp3 (directly copies as -.mp3 into this window, though)

When the real file is this in Win10:
C:\Users\myname\Music\CarMP3mix\Juicy Fruit-Mtume.mp3

Bizarre...

pablolie

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 06:08:20 pm »

Fixed. All I had to do was manually edit the files. I suspect that MC doesn't handle some characters in file names well, is that documented somewhere?

carlismysecondname

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 04:17:54 pm »

I've had similar issues a number of times. At first, I thought it might be a long filename or some incompatible character in the path or name -- but it wasn't.

All I needed to do was change the name ever so slightly by adding or subtracting a single character, and then, voila! File is recognized and added upon auto import. Really, how do you explain that?

---

I notice odd quirks here and there do pop up like some missing/broken files/paths not being automatically removed, even though my settings were to remove broken links. Most of them do get updated or removed, but not all -- so I find myself every now and then manually having to remove files from the library.

I suspect the best solution might be to clear my library and re-import everything every year or so... Then, again, all those hundreds of particles stacks I created (some of which I did not even create myself, but just seem to be particles stacks from other files reappriated to other files -- dunno how that even happened) eh. I have a feeling that might break things even more sooo... ugh. Maybe just not? But I'm trying to avoid that option for now.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 04:22:25 pm »

Were the problems with NAS drives?  Or local drives?

carlismysecondname

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 05:45:19 pm »

Since pablolie's path example was "C:" so local files I guess.

Mine were all on a NAS though and m4a/aac files the exact conditions prior to I can't recall completely now. Files were auto imported successfully only after the very slight renames using explorer -- as in literally just adding or removing a single character to the name -- and no special characters in the name. I use TLPD program to detect very long filepaths so it wasn't that issue. Every now and again, I would rename or move a file's path/filename via file explorer and then auto-import later -- that's when things go wrong sometimes. So I just avoid modifications to the path/names through the file explorer only do all of that within JRiver, if it's not too inconvient.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 06:07:54 pm »

It's certainly possible there is a problem we don't know about, but it's not very likely.  We haven't seen many character problems in recent versions.

Have you tried updating the NAS firmware?

carlismysecondname

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 08:56:08 pm »

No. But this was the time before assigning simple drive letters to the network path now, say U:\ , instead I was using longer paths along the lines of //name/music folder/artist/album...

I've been having problems with those longer network path names -- especially with the location pane (in panes view) resetting (collapsing) itself every time I edit any tag -- after figuring it out, I just completely switched to the shorter drive letter paths.

I had to do a mass update of the library file paths using F6. Hmmm.. I am not sure, but at least some of those reimportation issues may be related to broken/lost links from that mass updating of the file paths. Maybe JRiver thinks some files are still in the library using those old path names instead of the newly updated ones? Thus not importing said files unless they're renamed... I dunno, but could be. Although, as I said earlier, the only thing I haven't done is clear the entire library and re-importing all files using the new drive letter paths. I'm not too keen on doing that right now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up