INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver GUI  (Read 7348 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
JRiver GUI
« on: September 18, 2018, 09:44:08 am »

This thread is devoted to changing JRiver's interface.  I'll give you a few tips to start.

Here's the standard view of JRiver Media Center.

Did you know that you can set it to Audio Only?  It's under the View menu.

Or that you can choose Cover View to show only thumbnails?  View > Cover View

Or hit F11 to get to Theater View?

Here's a wiki topic on Simplified Interface.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: JRiver GUI
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 09:46:52 am »

I'd like to focus here on how to change the GUI.  If you have improvements to offer, please use this thread:

GUI Improvement Suggestions

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 09:04:27 pm »

So this thread is just to show how MC's look can be changed using existing functionality?

Okay, the setup for the guys in the pool room, Friday nights. Okay, not my pool room, but you get the idea. A gathering of people who will select music to add to the play list, like a Juke Box in a pub.

1. Turn on Split View with two columns. "View > Split View > Show 2 Views" and "Columns".
2. With only one tab in the right View, select "Playing Now".
3. With only one tab in the left View, select "Audio > Albums".
4. Close Navigation pane to the left using Disclosure Triangles or just dragging the vertical border all the way to the left.
5. Optionally set to Audio Only Mode. "View > Audio Only Mode".
6. Optionally set to Part Mode. "View > Party Mode" and set a password so you can disable Party Mode later.
7. Start playing something then press Ctrl+6 to detach Cover Art. Resize the Cover Art window and place it at the bottom right, below the "Playing Now" View.
8. Double click on any Album to open the Track List pane below the Albums.

Now party goers can search for music using the search box in the top right, click on any Album to see the tracks below, right-click on any Album or Track and "Add" to Playing Now in any position (Next, Now, End, etc.). Attendees can also use Drag and Drop to change the sequence of track in Playing Now, or remove them, or jump ahead or back in the list, etc. Everybody can see the Cover Art of what is playing now from some distance.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 05:00:05 am »

I use Media Center for a Pool Room Jukebox. It was the primary reason I switched to MC from an old program called Ejukebox.
Back in 11 no less.....Thank you for your purchase of Media Center 17 from JRiver, Inc. for $49.98.

I was asked to share mine here. I am a real wordy guy, I will try to make this short, but to describe the changes over the years will take some writing. I have attached the current MC Main view here, and try to describe how I got here.

10k DTS files, 15k Music Video files, and 130,000+ Stereo Music.
I use split view to make a now playing column on the right, set to remove songs once played  :)
I basically just use one view for the Music portion of the MC. I put both Audio AND Video in the same view.
Here is the view  [Filename (path)]=[\\ss1\Music" [Media Type]=[Video],[Audio] -[Filename (path)]="New Music" -[Filename (path)]="\Christmas" -[Filename (path)]="\\SS1\Music\Extra" ~sort=[Channels],[Artist],[Album],[Track #][/color]

For the alphabet selection I use this....
listbuild(1, \,
   If(Regex([Artist], /#^(?:The )?([A-Za-z])#/),    [R1], 0-9 etc.),
   )&datatype=
    [/color]

My special header for name uses this Title   Name <font color="00ff00">  DTS=Green; <font color="0000ff"> Videos=Blue)
    And this for the data 
ifelse(isequal([Media Type], Video, 1), <font color="00aaff"> [Name]<//font>,isequal([Channels], 6, 1), <font color="00FF00"> [Name]<//font>,isequal([Channels], 2, 1), <font color="FFFFFF"> [Name]<//font>,1,<font color="FFFFFF"> [Name]<//font>)

For Videos, I created a naming structure, with three fields: Name, Artist, Album. Where Album is actually the location of the video
Ie.... Bob's Your Uncle - Bob - {Fallon}
The curly brackets make sure to show the album, no extra dashes on the name ruin it.

The MC runs on a fast machine with a twin output nvidia Card. One for the main interface, one split to many tvs showing either the video, or a special Visualization I created. It has the album cover, Plus data for Artist , Album, Name, Duration, time remaining, whether it is DTS or not, etc
We also have Gforce and AEON visualizations. They are really cool, but some find it too busy and just want simple data.

I am very happy with the current setup, I would be glad to help anyone trying to make a Jukebox. I will keep checking here.
I also have a Media Center in the front room, with access to thousands of movies and tv shows, also quite customized.
I have a cool field I made called "Audience" and by putting the name of a family member in that field, it propagates it to all episodes of the series. I then use that as a primary sort in Theater View. The user gets a list of shows just for him, ignoring the rest.

In my reorg (happening now) of my music, I am going to use the Audience field to make a Genre Field that will restrict the genre to a list I have created. It will be a great way to help organize for pool nights.

Let me know if I am unclear anywhere, and I will answer any questions if I can.

Don

[/list]

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 02:44:44 pm »

I think your setup is very cool Don. Thanks for sharing.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 04:33:38 pm »

Don: That looks great. Thanks for sharing it and offering to help others.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 05:06:07 pm »

Once you enable split view, and get your content the way you like it, how do you make it come back that way by default?

oie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 06:29:44 pm »

Hi,
Forbigd, lovely looking set up.
I’ve seen before other screenshots of also very good looking setups but I don’t seem to be able to replicate them with the menus available on JRiver. For instance, how can I replicate something similar to Forbigd screen set by using the available menus?. Is that possible?. If yes, how?
Or do you have to use those “expressions”?.
Thanks,
Oscar

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 10:54:57 pm »

Once you enable split view, and get your content the way you like it, how do you make it come back that way by default?

Once you split into two Views, get the second view to show Now Playing, and then
View|Split View|Lock View 2

Then set the startup location to Playing Now.

Don

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 11:03:37 pm »

Hi,
Forbigd, lovely looking set up.
I’ve seen before other screenshots of also very good looking setups but I don’t seem to be able to replicate them with the menus available on JRiver. For instance, how can I replicate something similar to Forbigd screen set by using the available menus?. Is that possible?. If yes, how?
Or do you have to use those “expressions”?.
Thanks,
Oscar

You can get close without expressions, but I have found there to be great power in them, and the more you use them and learn functions, the more powerful they become.

I have received lots of help here in the forum, including lots of help with expressions.
If you can't figure it out, ask for help, or steal a canned one from one of the other folks here learning also. You can have anything I have created, I would be proud to give it away. I would enjoy helping if I could too, I think most folks here are like that.

Don

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 01:15:10 pm »

Old thread, still good info for people starting out with MC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2021, 02:14:27 pm »

If you think you have a better idea for the design of MC, please start a new thread.

This thread is about using the tools available in MC to customize it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up