INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Player on Android? If not what?  (Read 3712 times)

Gio300ZX

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver Player on Android? If not what?
« on: September 19, 2018, 01:57:18 pm »

I have just joined the Android phone world (from Windows Phone) and consequently looking for a way to access my music from OneDrive (both stream and download to phone) as well as my network NAs. I have JRiver for my PCs and was hoping to now install JRiver on my Android phone.

All I can find are apps like JRiver Remote, Gizmo et al which are remote controls for a JRiver MC server running on another computer on the network. Am I right that there is no JRiver player which can be installed on an Android phone?

If so, what would people recommend? As far as I can see, CloudPlayer will access the music I already have on OneDrive (both streaming and download). I'm not sure if it will also access my local NAS.

Ideally, I am looking for something that will let me access OneDrive and my UPNP NAS and download from either to store on the phone for when I have no network access. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks in advance.

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver Player on Android? If not what?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 04:33:22 pm »

Gizmo and (I'm pretty sure) JRemote allow local playback to the phone as well as being remotes. JRiver is pushing their browser based Panel these days and it is pretty good. What I'm using and think is really good so far is MO 4Media which you can find out more here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114964.0.html

The developer is very responsive on that thread.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 09:12:53 pm »

You can also just use Handheld Sync (see Wiki) to sync whatever tracks you want to your Android device, and then play them locally using whatever Android player you like.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Gio300ZX

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 04:08:23 am »

@ rec head - ok thanks, I'll ask him
@ RoderickGI - yes, I used to do that with my Windows phone. That had Groove included which could access tracks on my phone as well as tracks stored in my OneDrive. I'm trying to find an Android player which will do the same - and, hopefully, access my NAS as well.
Thanks for suggestions, guys

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 08:50:51 pm »

Check out MO 4Media.

Not sure about integration with OneDrive, but if you have OneDrive on your Android, you can at least download any files. I think there was a way to use OneDrive like just another hard drive on Windows, and maybe Android has a similar thing. Certainly, Microsoft keeps trying to tell me they fully support the Android platform and seamlessly integrate with it.

I haven't used OneDrive for a while though, since I moved from Windows 10 Mobile to Android.

A few months back I also read about, and then completely forgot to note the name of, a new Android player that was taking the space by storm. Maybe a search on Play Store would find it.

A search of the forum should provide some more insight. i.e. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,115316.msg797283.html#msg797283
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

seanmcdougall

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 04:58:51 am »

I gather that JRiver for Android is coming out later this year. Meanwhile, I heartily recommend EOS, although it is just a remote control linked to JRiver on your local network. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89392.0 Pulsar is a good lightweight Android music player for stuff stored on your phone.

Gio300ZX

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 06:03:08 am »

@RoderickGI thanks. The integration with OneDrive was seamless in the Windows Mobile / Phone environment. (One of the things MS got mostly right). Store your music in OneDrive Music folder and you can access without fiddling with settings on any of your Windows devices. Groove just found it and allowed you to select (on your phone) from files on your phone, files in the cloud and streaming services. Haven't yet found anything in Android environment that will do that. OK, yes JRiver will allow me to sync but I can't carry my entire music collection on my phone so, when I'm on my home LAN, I was looking for something that would access my NAS (where the bulk of the files reside). It looks like that thread you referred me too is from someone who has a similar requirement.

@seanmacdougall. Yeah, saw that on the bottom of the email about the servers. Will be very interested to see that. If they make it "OneDrive aware", I think they will find a lot of ex Windows Phone / OneDrive/Groove users interested. Add in (like JRiver on PC) being NAS aware, plus the ability to initiate a download sync from the Android device, even better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up