INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fake mail?  (Read 527 times)

cmg

• Recent member
Fake mail?
« on: September 20, 2018, 03:30:24 pm »

Because I found no other site or mail to report and no mention on your site about the problem, here goes the mail I received today. Is it fake?
"Good Day,

I'm sorry to report that JRiver's servers were recently attacked and partially compromised.  No credit card information was lost (we don't save any), but e-mail addresses probably were, and possibly passwords, although these were heavily encrypted.  You should change your password for the forum here:   Profile > Account Settings   License passwords can be changed if you purchase in the future -- they are only used for changing your e-mail address.  You can read more on Interact.

We have spent the last few weeks recovering from this catastrophic event.  If you have experienced problems with Media Network, cover art lookup, CD ripping, or other functions that use our servers, this break-in is probably the reason.  All problems are fixed now.

We offer our sincere apologies.  It was our fault, and we're embarrassed about it.  You can be sure that we are much better prepared to defend our servers now.

That's the bad news. 

swiv3d

Re: Fake mail?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 03:32:36 pm »

Not fake - JRiver's servers were attacked so people are being asked to change their passwords just in case.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 03:34:06 pm »

The mail is real. The issue has been disclosed here on the forums almost immediately after we noticed and did the first triage. There is a huge "IMPORTANT SERVER INFORMATION" banner at the top of the forum main page, that links to here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,117123.msg810255.html
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 04:52:01 pm »

The e-mail also has a link to the thread Hendrik linked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up