INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WMA Cover Art Problems Resolved (I Think)...  (Read 6037 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
WMA Cover Art Problems Resolved (I Think)...
« on: June 01, 2003, 11:00:00 am »

The long-standing issues I have had with Cover Art with WMA ripped files seems to be finally resolved (I think) ?

I had all my Cover Art tagged to the files in MJ8.  But JRiver (in their infinite wisdom) decided to make MC9 NOT to tag WMA Cover Art.  This caused me all kinds of Cover Art problems.  Ripped files created with MJ8 would still find the Cover Art with MC9 but all the files ripped with MC9 would not as they were no longer tagged to the WMA file.  This meant that if I had re-ripped SOME of the files in an album with MC9 part of the files would show cover art (the ones done with MJ8 ) & some would not (the ones done with MC9).

WHAT A MESS >:(

However, I just discovered the Tools/Remove Cover Art command.  Don't know how long it has been there but all I can say is... WOW what a wonderful command.  It totally removed all the old MJ8 Cover Art tags once & for all. :D

I then moved all my cover art into each separate music folder & used the command Tools/Quick Find In File / Cover Art directory & presto... all my Cover Art now shows up correctly for each song. ;D
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

DocLotus

Re: WMA Cover Art Problems Resolved...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2003, 11:10:38 am »

Somewhere I had read that if I move my Cover Art images into each album folder & renamed the images Folder.jpg that MC9 would automatically pick up the Cover art for each album.

I tried that & it did not work automatically.

What am I doing wrong?

If I used the Tools/Quick Find In File / Cover Art Directory the Copver Art would be found.  I have also noticed that the Cover Art will be found (not automatically) no matter what it is named with the Tools Quick Find In File / Cover Art Directory.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

DocLotus

Re: WMA Cover Art Problems Resolved (I Think)...
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 11:33:35 am »

WHOOPS... NOT FIXED...

Just tried something...

* Deleted the MC9 music database.
* Re-imported all music files.
* Same old problem is back... DRATS, DOUBLE DRATS >:(

Many files once again refer to the old MC8 tags.

Looks like the Tools/Remove Cover Art does not work except for the database.

The funny thing is that ALL my ripped file were updated to todays time & date like you would think would happen if all the files had a tag change.  The only problem is that it now looks like absoluty nothing happen to the files other then the dates & times were changed >:(

This is driving me nuts (over the wall for you rock fans). :P

Any ideas... anyone ?

zevele10

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 12:17:12 pm »

there is a more general problem concerning WMA and MC.
I have WMA9 lossless ans some WMA 128
tagged with MM SuperTag ,i have the sleeve inside each song.
But MC does not see them and do not display them

DocLotus

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2003, 12:59:31 pm »

Yeh... I really, really wish JRiver would resolve this dasterdly tagging problem once & for all.

It sees we just go round & round with this issue.

I'm not about to re-rip all 4000 of my songs to some other format only to experience some other weird problem.

WMA has worked very well for me in the past with MJ8. It also works well in MC9 with the exception of Cover Art.

So,why can't this issue be fixed ?

nila

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2003, 03:09:34 pm »

If your doing it with Albums then use AV2.

Even just use the demo to sort it all out.
It'll find your cover art extremely easily and well thanks to the rules wizard and then associate ur mc tracks to the cover art if u use the tool.

Works great :)

Work around I know not a fix.

DocLotus

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2003, 04:12:59 pm »

Thanks Nila, I'll give it a try.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2003, 04:18:58 pm »

>> I just discovered the Tools/Remove
>> Cover Art command.
>> Don't know how long it has been there
a long time
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

DocLotus

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2003, 05:39:55 pm »

It does not work anyway on WMA files.

It needs to be fixed!

zevele10

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2003, 11:09:45 pm »

No need to try to find out any kind of setting.
Here is a fact:
Tag any Mp3 with MM superTags ,you see sleeve s in MC
Tag any Windows format the same ,you do not see the sleeve.
At my level ,this is a VERY upsetting problem

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2003, 05:52:29 am »

Fix the problem once with the Cover Art tools, and then stop deleting and reimporting.  There is no reason to rerip.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DocLotus

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2003, 11:09:30 am »

Hi Matt;

Yeh... I know it works for the current database, but...

* Why are the ripped file times & dates updated with the Tools/Remove Cover Art command when nothing is really being changed in the files?

* Why is the change not permanent?

* I should not have to do this each time I re-import. All other tags are imported so why not the cover art tags?

* It seems that the information is only being saved to the database.

* This does not seem to really be tagging as I think of it as nothing is being saved or updated in the ripped file.

* This was not a problem with MJ8!

I still think this needs to be fixed as it is currently a pain in the-you-know-what.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2003, 11:18:41 am »

* Why are the ripped file times & dates updated with the Tools/Remove Cover Art command when nothing is really being changed in the files?

Any change to a file updates the tag. (since different format store different things, we do this just to be safe)

* Why is the change not permanent?  

Cover art isn't stored in files in any way for WMA.  To do that requires that we switch to a newer WMA playback SDK, which would add around 3 MB to the download of MC or make anyone who played a WMA to have to download that whole thing -- just for the internal cover art ability.

* I should not have to do this each time I re-import. All other tags are imported so why not the cover art tags?  

Properly setup files in an external cover art folder and you won't have to.  MC will do all the work.  It's what I do at home, and it's super slick.

* It seems that the information is only being saved to the database.

* This does not seem to really be tagging as I think of it as nothing is being saved or updated in the ripped file.  

Correct... see above.

* This was not a problem with MJ8!

We stored the path of external image links in the tags wtih MJ8.  This caused several problems that have been discussed previously.

Thanks Doc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DocLotus

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2003, 11:32:38 am »

>>>> Cover art isn't stored in files in any way for WMA.  To do that requires that we switch to a newer WMA playback SDK, which would add around 3 MB to the download of MC or make anyone who played a WMA to have to download that whole thing -- just for the internal cover art ability. <<<

Matt... I don't want to store the cover art in the music file... just the tag.  Are you telling me that WMA files have no possible way of storing cover art tags ? ?

>>> Properly setup files in an external cover art folder and you won't have to.  MC will do all the work.  It's what I do at home, and it's super slick. <<<

I used to do it like that & if you remember I was loosing about 1/3 of my cover art due to some weird un-resolved problem with MC.

dwex

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2003, 11:33:20 am »

Cover art isn't stored in files in any way for WMA.  To do that requires that we switch to a newer WMA playback SDK, which would add around 3 MB to the download of MC or make anyone who played a WMA to have to download that whole thing -- just for the internal cover art ability.

While this probably is more hassle than you want to deal with, can't you do runtime version detection of the installed WMA version and do internal storage if the user has the correct version installed?

--dwex

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2003, 11:38:31 am »

Matt... I don't want to store the cover art in the music file... just the tag.  Are you telling me that WMA files have no possible way of storing cover art tags

that does not make sence to me.

The image tag is the image, if your going to save the tag that would be the image.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele10

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2003, 12:15:35 pm »

-=-=

I would not mind to have to download it if it gives me the sleeves show in MC.
I do think what the ones having wma files- even if they are not the majority- do want to see sleeves in MC

DocLotus

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2003, 01:26:42 pm »

OK, OK, I give up already :P

Each time I have to do a re-import I'll just continue to go throught the Tools/Remove Cover Art command then Tools/Quick Find In File / Cover Art Directory which seems to work ok but seems to be a couple of steps that I should not have to do.

But, what I still don't understand is why do all the files ripped with MJ8 still show under Properties/Image the path to the old cover art directories that I no longer use such as... C:\Audio-Video\Music\CD\Cover Art ?

DocLotus

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2003, 01:31:27 pm »

>>> The image tag is the image, if your going to save the tag that would be the image. <<<

But how do I permenantly remove the old cover art tags that were done with MJ8 ?  The Tools\Remove Cover Art command does not work. It does nothing with WMA files.

DocLotus

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2003, 01:33:18 pm »

Somewhere I had read that if I move my Cover Art images into each album folder & renamed the images Folder.jpg that MC9 would automatically pick up the Cover art for each album.

I tried that & it did not work automatically.

What am I doing wrong?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2003, 01:39:58 pm »

>> The Tools\Remove Cover Art command does
>> not work. It does nothing with WMA files
now that sound slike a problem.

but what i would do is.

take the files and load up windows media player or MJ8 or other windows media jukebox, remove the coverart if it is in there.

delete the lib and then reimport the files it should be gone then.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

DocLotus

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2003, 01:49:35 pm »

Thanks King... great idea.  Will give it a try.

Would really love to get rid of the old cover art once & for all :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up