INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ATSC recordings not filtering programs  (Read 815 times)

ErikN

• Junior Woodchuck
ATSC recordings not filtering programs
« on: September 26, 2018, 11:23:46 am »

Granted that correlation is not causation but since updating to 50 last week (I'm pretty slow about updating) TS recordings now often include all programs for a channel. Specifically:

-  An ATSC transmission that includes 5.1 and 5.2 is just one feed with everything muxed into the same TS stream. The stream is simply multiprogram / multiservice. A PMT associates a block of audio/video PIDs for each program. For my example:
   5.1 => Program 1 => might get PIDs 41 (video), 35 (eng), 36 (esp)
   5.2 => Program 2 => might get PIDs 65 (video), 38 (eng), 39 (esp)

- When I record 5.1 the expected result is that the multiprogram TS gets filtered so that the output file only includes program 1 and it's associated PIDs.

- However, since the update there is a high probability (~80%) that my recordings will be unfiltered. If I record 5.1 the file still has 5.1 and 5.2. If I record 5.2 the file still has 5.1 and 5.2.

Was there a tuner / ATSC change that might be causing this? I've had the same system and tuner (Hauppauge quad 1609) for a long time spanning MC21 (many 100s of recordings) and starting in July MC24 (100 recordings) and I have never seen this occur. I've updated my postprocessing and transcoding to partially accommodate while I try to resolve the problem.

Any ideas about how to root cause? Does MC tell the tuner what program(s) to include or does MC get the multiservice TS and do filtering for itself?

Thanks in advance for any help.

KeeterJ

• Recent member
Re: ATSC recordings not filtering programs
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 06:39:50 pm »

I also have noticed this problem for the last couple weeks.  I can verify the content of the .ts files by using ffprobe.exe to display the subchannel stream details.

It seems to be inconsistent -- sometimes everything works just fine.  When it happens, though, the resulting .ts files are huge since they contain the streams for all subchannels.  Also, many of them are not playable in MC since I can't find a way to select the proper stream.  I have to watch them in another application -or- I have to strip them down to only the video+audio stream I care about by using something like ffmpeg.exe

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 07:25:15 pm »

I will look into this.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 12:52:29 pm »

Thanks for reporting the problem.  I found it.  A line of code that I recently added in connection with closed captioning support messed it up a bit.  It will return to normal in an upcoming new build.

KeeterJ

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 02:08:25 pm »

Yaobing, thank you for the quick response.

I must say I am very excited about the work you are doing with Closed Captions.  This is really important to me and will be very appreciated. 

ErikN

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 08:16:28 pm »

Great. Thanks for tracking that down.

I second the praise for future CC support.

KeeterJ

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 02:48:59 pm »

24.0.55 seems to have fixed the problem.  I tried with with 8 test recordings and they all worked as expected.

Thank you, Yaobing.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 06:02:13 pm »

24.0.55 seems to have fixed the problem.  I tried with with 8 test recordings and they all worked as expected.

Thanks for reporting back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up