INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Audio Output setting do I select  (Read 1367 times)

Andy1701

• Recent member
Which Audio Output setting do I select
« on: October 01, 2018, 12:01:15 am »

I am new to JRiver and am confused which audio output setting to choose to get the best sound quality, I am using it on a laptop running Windows 10, Sometimes I will just plug a pair of headphones into the audio out socket however when I want to get the best audio quality I will use and External Dac (OPPO HA2SE) via the USB socket, I am confused about whether to choose Direct which is not the best audio quality or ASIO or WASAPI, I do not know if my DAC is compatible with either or how to find out, any advice will be appreciated .... Thanks

swiv3d

Re: Which Audio Output setting do I select
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 04:27:23 am »

Download the oppo asio audio driver from the manufacturers website.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Which Audio Output setting do I select
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 07:07:07 am »

As swiv3d said, you should download the driver from Oppo.  Prior to Windows 10 you would need that driver to do sample rates over 96 Khz, although current Windows 10 now supports higher sample rates natively.

In general, the recommendation is to use ASIO over WASAPI, since the ASIO driver is customized by the manufacturer, whereas WASAPI is a generic system.  However, the manufacturer may or may not do much relevant customization to the generic ASIO driver that is available from Steinberg, the originator of ASIO. That said, there should be little to no difference in sound between ASIO and WASAPI. 

ASIO is required for native DSD, which the HA2E requires for DSD256. For DSD64 and DSD128, the device may support DoP, which can be used with WASAPI.

Bottom line - ASIO is the preferred choice, although WASAPI should be fine except for DSD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up