INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library views  (Read 2592 times)

Sixtyten

• Recent member
Library views
« on: October 09, 2018, 02:32:39 am »

Could someone explain why, when I change the column sequence in the Artists and Genre views, it keeps reverting back, when it doesn't do the same in the Album and Files views? It's right royal pain in the nether regions (that and not just being able to set the view once and it applying everywhere and the inability to remove the extraneous rating column)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Library views
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 06:26:35 am »

Are you using MC in a client / server mode?  If so, changes may need to be done on the server.

Sixtyten

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 07:54:45 am »

I'm running it on the PC which has all my NAS drives attached to it. I'm not accessing it remotely. It plays back through my USB DAC to my Hi-Fi

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 08:05:53 am »

Which version of MC are you running? I am using 24.0.55 and I am not seeing any reversion of column sequences or an inability to remove the rating column. Even closing MC and then restarting it doesn't revert back to a previous column arrangement.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 08:27:25 am »

I wrote something, but then realized it's doesn't seem correct.

I would try building a new view from scratch and seeing what happens with that view.  Don't clone a view.  Build one from the new View dialog and work from there.  Shouldn't take too long.  Let us know how it goes.

Brian.

Sixtyten

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 10:11:25 am »

I'll confirm the version when I get home, but I believe it is the current iteration of MC.

The views are the standard out-of-the-box ones. I only move the columns, then delete the fields I don't want. They reappear in short order. Even before I restart the program. As I say this works fine in the Album and File view, not in Artists and Genre.

swiv3d

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 10:46:24 am »

I just added an out of the box library view - Artist (Small with files), deleted the ratings column, swapped three other columns around, went off to view other media types came back to this view and all of my changes are still there. Shut down MC then restarted it and the changes to that view are still there. So I can't seem to repeat your experience. Sorry.

Sixtyten

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 01:24:11 pm »

See the attached video grab of what happening viewable on You Tube

https://youtu.be/N-KHW9bp6rY

And the version number of my MC24

swiv3d

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 01:32:01 pm »

Try updating to version 24.0.55 - I watched the video a couple of times and tried to get something like it to happen but I can't.

Sixtyten

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 02:08:48 pm »

24.0.55 does exactly the same thing

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 03:08:22 pm »

I believe MC is doing what they designed it to do in this case.  You have to look very closely at the sequence of events to understand what's going on.

You are changing the column layout inside of "ALL ARTISTS".  This is part of the SubTree of Artists.  It is (apparently) not the same view as the top level Artists view.  Try going back to All Artists again.  Your changes should be there.

Try making those same changes at the TOP LEVEL of Artists instead.  Your changes should stick there as well.

I think this behavior is rather confusing.  I also find the view you are using (details in Artists) to be kind of confusing, as that's not how I browse my music.  It's unclear to me exactly how you would drill down to what you wanted.  If it works well for you, other than the column layout, then of course please keep using it.  But if you are having trouble with your navigation of these views, then it's worth exploring another view layout that might work better for you.

The key point for THIS post though is that you are changing something in one place and not another. (Top level versus tree item).

Brian.

swiv3d

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 03:18:07 pm »

I did as the video did it, I have just re-tested moved column genre to the first position under all artists - went off looking at other genres, came back to audio > artist and there is the genre field in first position just as I left it after changing it in the all artists view.

swiv3d

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 03:31:14 pm »

It is the category view that is messing up I have been using a panes view which works perfectly, but changing it to a category view does give precisely the effect Sixtyten has observed! Something for the dev team perhaps? Perhaps the solution for Sixtyten is to go into customize view and select panes instead of categories.

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 03:39:20 pm »

I went back and was more careful.  Yes, I see the exact behavior that is shown now.  Changes at the top level get reverted as soon as you make changes in the tree below.

I've always thought the tree was strange so I never use it.  But I understand that a (seemingly) large group of people like and use it.  I just have very little experience with the nuances of the tree because I prefer to not use it.

Not sure what to say here, other than I see the behavior being described and it seems weird.  My post above was just wrong.

Brian.

Sixtyten

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 04:51:04 pm »

I'm glad this has been replicated. I thought I was going mad.

Sixtyten

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 07:35:04 am »

Is this something that is likely to be addressed?

Sixtyten

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 05:51:47 am »

As it's still doing this in 24.0.65 should I assume this isn't going to be fixed?

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 01:29:44 pm »

Are you sure that view is not locked?

Sixtyten

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 05:12:24 pm »

Yes

swiv3d

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 12:29:32 pm »

As I said previously this is something that only the dev team can put right.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 09:41:00 am »

I can reproduce this.

I also see how to fix it.

I'm a little unclear about why setting the "List" clears the "List (grouping)" and "List (grouping details)".

I'll try to remove it for the next build, and just let us know how it works.

Here's the history:
Fixed: Customizing the columns of a parent view would reset the columns of a child view.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up