INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital input from external device via USB?  (Read 2173 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Digital input from external device via USB?
« on: October 09, 2018, 02:21:11 pm »

Can one input digital audio from a source for MC to apply DSP to in real-time? This would have to be via USB, I think. Someone I know is looking to play records, have them digitized on the fly and then processed by MC to go into DAC. Seems like a longwinded path, I know, but he has sound (pardon the pun) reasons.

I think he'd also need an AES to USB convertor. Assuming this hardware is in place, is this something that is possible to do in MC?
eg https://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-12.php

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Digital input from external device via USB?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 05:00:17 pm »

You can do this on MC for Windows (only) in one of two ways.  If the input device is ASIO compliant, you could potentially do ASIO line-in which (with some fiddling) will work with just JRiver.  Otherwise you need another program to take the USB input and "play" it to the JRiver WDM driver or JRiver's WASAPI Loopback function.

So the way I used to do it is: USB turntable --> Audacity (a free recording program that will also allow you to just play an input channel in realtime --> JRiver's WDM driver set as system default --> JRiver DSP Stack --> Output to DAC.  That worked perfectly, but I obviously had to set it up each time.  You might be able to work out something more "automatic" if you look around.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 01:15:19 am »

Thank you! That's some very useful info.

Manfred

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 10:23:41 am »

If you need AES digital input it should also be possible to use such a pci-e card (if the price is not an issue):

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/hdspe_aio.php?from=singlemessage%27%20and%203%3D%274%27a%3D0%27A%3D0%27%27

it has ASIO drivers, you need no conversion to usb and you must configure zone's for digital input  in MC, but I have no practical experience with the card and configuring digital AES input using ASIO or MC WDM driver.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 10:36:15 am »

Thanks, Manfred. We do not use the PCIe slots in our systems as they do generate a lot of electrical noise in the system. However, if he were to use such a card, a half-height version would be required.

gtimbers

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 01:38:46 pm »

You can do this on MC for Windows (only) in one of two ways.  If the input device is ASIO compliant, you could potentially do ASIO line-in which (with some fiddling) will work with just JRiver.  Otherwise you need another program to take the USB input and "play" it to the JRiver WDM driver or JRiver's WASAPI Loopback function.
Thank you for the input.  It turns out I have a PS Audio NUWave Phono converter which has a phono preamp which outputs as USB.  It is ASIO compliant.  I loaded the driver and both Windows and JRiver recognize the device.  I can select it in Options- Audio but JRiver looks for a library.  I don't see how to select a "line in" or direct play function.  That function exists in the CD mode by choosing RIP.  There is a play box which plays the CD live. 

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can configure for live play?  My system is very convoluted and complicated.  The bottom line is that I have digital, linear phase crossovers on a 4-way multi amped system so everything has to be digitized at some point.  The phono cannot remain analog and must be convered at some point.  Running it through JRiver gives me considerable EQ and control functions for free.  It is all done in the digital domain
prior to conversion to analog.

I originally used this PS box on my Mac to transcribe LP's.  I did go through Audacity to make the files and then import them into JRiver.  I am now using a Baetis Revolution Media Server which is PC based (windows 10).  I understand that Windows does support live play, somehow.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 04:04:56 pm »

Look for the "open live" menu option, and choose "ASIO Line in."

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 04:14:09 pm »

Look for the "open live" menu option, and choose "ASIO Line in."

Yes, all working now. Thanks so much for your help!

jan.didden

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2022, 06:49:30 am »

Reviving an old topic, if I may. I have the same issue and this will help me.
What I wonder is the following. I have a streamer that outputs digital audio from the usual flat USB A port.
My PC that runs JRiver has the same port. Can I just get me a cable with two flat USB A connectors on each end and connect the two, and tell JRiver to 'live' play from that?
Haven't been able to try it yet as such cables are not very common, so before I break something, is this legal?

Jan Didden
Pages: [1]   Go Up