INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Force Conversion" while sending files t  (Read 1313 times)

shastasheen

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
"Force Conversion" while sending files t
« on: May 31, 2003, 10:08:58 am »

I have a lot of high bitrate and VBR files, which was great until my iPod got filled up by 3,893 songs.

I know that the "force conversion" feature can make them all 160kbps (or whatever else I like), but I have a few questions about how it works.

1).  The files on my computer remain unchanged, right?   Does it just convert them and put them straight on the iPod, later deleting any temp files that it might have needed to create?

2).  If a song is already on there at 320kbps or VBR, do I have to delete it and choose all of my files that I want to send to the iPod again, enabling the "forced conversion?"  Is there an easier way?  So far, I haven't been using playlists or smartlists to upload, and i've been "sending" instead of "syncing."

3).  Is there a way to have a smartlist for each artists that contains all songs by that artist without manually creating each one?  I couldn't figure one out from the help file.

I tried searching the forum to find past threads that could help me, but I didn't have much luck.  If anybody could either reply here, or point me in the direction of a thread that has answers, I would be grateful. :)

shastasheen

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: "Force Conversion" while sending fil
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2003, 01:47:32 pm »

alright, i've been attempting to sync with the "force conversion" box checked to 160kbps mp3s, and i hope to god that it is just putting the converted files onto the ipod and leaving the higher bitrate files untouched on my computer.

can anyone at least verify this for me?

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2003, 01:56:01 pm »

I would imagined it depends on what your Converter Settings are. As long as you don't have it set to Update Database and Send Originals To Recycle Bin, it's probably fine.

Rob

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2003, 02:36:56 pm »

shastasheen,

The files on your PC should remain untouched.  In the current version of MC, if you choose force conversion, the plugin will skip files that are already on the iPod. There was a bug with this reported on Friday that is now fixed, but you can't use it until the next build is available.
Pages: [1]   Go Up