INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running MC as systemd  (Read 925 times)

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
Running MC as systemd
« on: October 13, 2018, 01:28:49 pm »

Hi,
I'm running all my files at an Synology Disk station and it  would be very useful, to start the MC-Server on this Disk station. However, I can install MC, but it won't start, because there is no X-Server running. I'm sure, I'm not the only user here who has this problem.
My questions:
1. is there any way to start MC without requiring the X-Server
or
2. it would nice, to run the media-server independent as system-service.

Udo
Udo

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Runinng MC as systemd
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 03:13:24 pm »

You can't run MC without an Xserver, you have to have one, but you may be able to run something like openbox to create a very lightweight one.  You certainly don't need a monitor attached, but you do need an xserver.

As for a systemd service, check out my sticky thread: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,115514.0.html

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 05:47:12 am »

Thanks for the fast reply,
so, as a future request, it would be really nice, to have a stand alone media-server service or, if this is not possible, a command line switch. (e.g. No-X) which prevents MC to call the X-server an run simply in the background. I installed mc on the NAS, it starts up to the point when the x-server gets into the game.
The reason for my request is: in order to use any remote player, you have to have mc running somewhere in your network besides the NAS. It would make more than sense to have a service running on your NAS. As a side effect, it will cut down your electricity bill a lot.   

Udo
Udo

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 06:26:57 am »

We had a bad experience with QNAP after doing a lot of work to get it running.  We won't do more NAS drives.  They're just another computer, but they run a non-standard OS. 

Our low power solution is the JRiver Id.

www.jriver.com/Id
Pages: [1]   Go Up