INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Complete newbie seeks best settings for local and network use  (Read 830 times)

patmarcus

• Recent member
Complete newbie seeks best settings for local and network use
« on: October 14, 2018, 02:58:20 am »

Hi experts
I'm using media centre 23.

It provides "non critical" listening on my desk top PC which is running through a Bose Companion USB speaker system limited to 16/44.

The majority of my listening, however, is using JRiver as a "Generic" DLNA server, network connected (cat 6) to a Denon Heos Link VS2 in my sitting room. This in turn is connected via digital coax cable into my Meridian home cinema system.

The Heos link gave me a cheap route into "proper" streaming and I have other Heos speakers in the house. All Heos stuff in the version I own is 24/192 compatible wired or wirelessly.

I've set up JRiver to access only FLAC files on my PC - from CDs ripped using EAC at 16/44 to vinyl ripped at 24/96.

Which settings do I use that facilitate playback on my PC without compromising the more important streaming quality for elsewhere in the house ?

I'm concerned that using Direct Sound (which is all the desktop system seems  to like) is somehow compromising my streaming quality.

Should my audio device be set to streamer ? It seems to stream via DLNA whichever I set.

In the DSP/output settings I currently have nothing at all enabled. Bitstream is set to "None."

In the Media network audio conversion settings, I am set to "Dont convert audio."

In the Generic DLNA settings, audio mode is set to "original" and format to "PCM 24 bit" because I was rather hoping choosing "original" meant this didn't matter.

I've read other things about people selecting different DLNA options, for use with a DAC. Im not sure if this applies to me. After all, there is a DAC in the Meridian system.

There are a lot of settings.........

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

patmarcus

• Recent member
Re: Complete newbie seeks best settings for local and network use
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 05:08:39 am »

Thanks Mark. I had looked at both those pages already but lack of experience with the product means I really need some human advice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up